The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 21, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Single Six

Anyone Else Have This Problem?

I've been wearing my BUG in a Galco Ankle Glove for several years now with no problems. Now, for no reason I can figure out, it's suddenly causing me to get an itchy rash right under where the actual holster sits on my ankle. I've looked at the holster itself, I see no discernible wear on that part of it that would cause such an issue. I've actually had to stop wearing my BUG because of this, which made the rash go away...but going without the BUG is unacceptable, especially since I'm working full-time LE. Pocket holsters are out, since my Sam Browne would make that largely inaccessible. Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old October 21, 2011, 06:01 PM   #2
grandpajoe

Maybe some moleskin on the backside of it? It's pretty cheap and readily available in any drugstore.
Old October 21, 2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Steel Talon

If its more like a "Raspberry" type rash...
I'd suggest that it's time to clean and condition your holster, The back of the holster probably needs it,and the rest of the material is not wicking away the moisture properly.

If your ankle skin is sensitive right now get some Gold Bond healing lotion and give your ankle a rest for a few days. Corn starch powder will also help before you wrap on your holster put some powder on your the area it rides on.

If that doesn't work then take it to a leather smith and have him line it with kip skin. (soft pliable leather.)

Back in my uniformed days. I had modified the back of my leather cuff case to secure my BUG (Colt Mustang) Carried well, concealed well, stayed put easy to draw
Old October 22, 2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Single Six

Guys: I will look into your suggestions. SOMETHING'S gotta give here; going without my BUG is not good. Thanks for the help.
Old October 22, 2011, 01:17 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

My suggestion: Generously apply some antiseptic or disinfectant TO THE HOLSTER especially on the surfaces where it contacts your skin... And apply it occasionally after that too.

A watchband will cause a rash too if I don't keep it clean and disinfected. I can smell the "bad locker-room" smell if I wait too long. That causes rashes for me.
Old October 22, 2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Te Anau

Just spray it (area that touches your skin) occasionally with a can of underarm deodorant....and while youre at it,get those stinky shoes too!