The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 16, 2010, 09:08 AM   #1
justinfranks

Help with buying new rifle?

Hello all. I am a newb so bear with me. I am a big gun lover and own several. I own a HK G3 and am looking at getting a "companion" for it. I like the larger calibers but am going with a rifle in 5.56 because they do tend to be lighter and the ammo is for sure. I have been looking at: SIG556, Benelli MR-1, MSAR/AUG, and Ruger Mini-14. I have heard a few bad things about the Ruger and as a whole I do want something capable of shooting 300 meters fairly well. I am a National Guardsman so I do know the M-4/ AR will do that but as a Guardsman I also know of the issues they have had and want to stay clear of them. Had to many buddies deployed that have had issues with them. NO M4/ AR!!YES, if you " keep em' clean" they are good but I dont wanna have to really "worry" bout that. I would like to stay in the $1500 range. I know that kinda shortens choices... Any ideas guys?
Thanks

Last edited by justinfranks; February 16, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old February 16, 2010, 09:15 AM   #2
kaylorinhi

Mine is a DPMS PantherLite 16, not bad but spend the extra 2 or 3 for the next step up. Also to the list of finger fudge at the store should be the S&W M&P-15 series.
Old February 16, 2010, 09:20 AM   #3
crimsondave

The mini 14 is not known for being terribly accurate, though I'm sure some are fine. The only SIG556 belongs to a friend of mine. It is really nice. Shoots very well. Don't know about others.

Have you considered a bolt action, or are you just wanting an automatic?
Old February 16, 2010, 09:26 AM   #4
justinfranks

I am looking for an automatic, yes. I have had many push the M-4 but I just don't want one.
Old February 16, 2010, 09:39 AM   #5
gotigers

Benelli: http://www.impactguns.com/store/11800.html

Kel-tec: http://www.impactguns.com/store/640832000856.html

Saiga: http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/...L_16_SYN_.aspx

Ruger SR556: http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556/index.html?r=y this is a piston AR.

I have read that the new gen Mini-14's are much better.
Old February 16, 2010, 09:45 AM   #6
crimsondave

Armalite AR180B, Arsenal SLR-106F (avoid early models), Remington 7615 (ugly), kel tec su 16 (aslo ugly).

I don't think any of those will shoot as well as a good AR-15. Of the ones mentioned, I like the SIG best. It it is based off an AK design, so it should be very reliable.

FN FS2000 is a really nice bullpup, but is above your price range.

Last edited by crimsondave; February 16, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old February 16, 2010, 09:59 AM   #7
justinfranks

Any insight on the HK 93/33 or any clones? I think mags are expensive.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:10 AM   #8
SSG-Gibb

If you are hellbent against the AR type then go the other way look into an SK if you want to still be able to stay reasonable accurate and never have to worry about jams or malfunctions. the minni 14 is a good one yes but that leaves you with the same 5.56 that the ARs use, or is that not the issue?
Old February 16, 2010, 10:23 AM   #9
justinfranks

Oh, no Sir, I do want a 5.56. Just prefer not to have the AR.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:27 AM   #10
SSG-Gibb

Saiga make a 223 in an AK design. If you want to take a look go on gun broker and simple punch in 223 AK.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:33 AM   #11
riverwalker76

I'm going to step in and defend the Ruger Mini-14 Tactical. I can't speak for other model Mini-14s, but the one I own is the M-14/20GBCPC pictured here ...... http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14...le/models.html

I'm perfectly happy with this model. It seems that Ruger took a lot of shooters' advice and decided to shorten the barrel to 16" to improve accuracy. Believe it or not ... it worked. I get 1 to 1 1/4" inch groups using open sights and factory Hornady Tap Ammo @ 125 yds.

I love this little M-14 clone and I plan on adding a 6X scope soon for Coyote killing.
Old February 16, 2010, 12:43 PM   #12
justinfranks

That is by far the best looking Mini I have seen. This may be a foolish question but can you get those with a bull/ matchgrade barrel? Also, did you pay the $921 retail or can you get that model cheaper?? Thanks.
Old February 16, 2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Technosavant

In the $1500 range things like the Mini 14 are outclassed, but you aren't quite to the newer designs like the FN FS2000 and are still way under the ACR and SCAR. The Robinson Arms XCR is in your price range, and that's worth a look alongside the Sig 556.

You could look into a piston AR like the Ruger SR-556 or a LWRC if they are different enough for your tastes (if not, forget I mentioned it).

While I'm an AR guy, I'm not going to suggest one to you if you're dead set against it. I'd probably see if a Sig 556 is comfortable for you (they can be front heavy), but I think I'd have myself looking awfully hard at an XCR.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:00 PM   #14
gotigers

oh yeah, i forgot about the XCR. That is one you need to look at.

http://www.robarm.com/resources/prod...std/index.aspx
Old February 16, 2010, 01:03 PM   #15
justinfranks

That XCR looks promising. Does it have looser tolerances than an AR? I know that most people see that as an accuracy killer but it's gotta be reliable! Also, I just looked it up on Gunbroker... doesn't seem to be one under $1900 or so. Im really not trying to be cheap, just trying to pay bills and get myself something! Any other sited you might suggest?
Old February 16, 2010, 01:08 PM   #16
justinfranks

Oh and yes; Buck Ofama indeed!
Old February 16, 2010, 01:40 PM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
I own a HK G3
Really! The HK G3 is a select-fire weapon. Do you mean you own a HK91, HK41, or PTR91? Do you know the difference?
Quote:
I am a National Guardsman so I do know the M-4/ AR will do that but as a Guardsman I also know of the issues they have had and want to stay clear of them.
Oh! Puleeeez!! Not another one of the "ARs won't shoot more than 100 rounds without jammng" threads! Perhaps you should call CinC and tell him that piece of . . . news.
Quote:
if you " keep em' clean" they are good but I dont wanna have to really "worry" bout that.
Any rifle will have to be kept clean to function reliably.

OK, enough bashing the new guy.

Can you say SIG 556? I knew you could!
Old February 16, 2010, 02:04 PM   #18
Technosavant

Quote:
Im really not trying to be cheap, just trying to pay bills and get myself something! Any other sited you might suggest?
They start at $1500, they can option out quickly. The best way is to order one direct. May be more of a wait; gunbroker is going to be more expensive for the "gotta have it NOW" factor.
Old February 16, 2010, 02:23 PM   #19
crimsondave

Quote:
Oh! Puleeeez!! Not another one of the "ARs won't shoot more than 100 rounds without jammng" threads! Perhaps you should call CinC and tell him that piece of . . . news.
Let me pour some gas on the fire. My Colt Hbar won't reliably fire much of anything other than my reloads. 62 gr, Varget, and hot as a firecracker. Only factory ammo I've used that it will shoot reliably is Lake City M855 SS109. Stuff is very pricey.

It probably needs the gas adjusted doesn't it? I don't want to mess it up though, being it's working with what I've got.
Old February 16, 2010, 03:38 PM   #20
justinfranks

I thought I might tweek some AR guys on here! The statements I made were based on my own experience as well as others in my unit. And there actually are MANY weapons that you DONT have to keep clean that function reliably. I just dont know about the 5.56 areana. My problem with the AR's is just this: I heard one of soldiers pose a simple question; how am I going to keep my M-4 clean to fire without malfunction if I am caught in a fire-fight, in a sand storm? That is the problem. You cant, when "in country", take your weapon apart everytime it gets a little dust in it. That is all it takes with most AR's. NOT ALL THOUGH. I know we don't have sandstorms in the US but I just want a rifle like my HK; I do keep it spotless but wouldnt have to worry bout it. And I stand corrected, I do own the HK 91. I do know the difference, sorry bout that! I have nothing "personal" against the AR's, I love the look and feel. Just everything else I stated. Thanks guys.
Old February 16, 2010, 03:54 PM   #21
Technosavant

Quote:
I have nothing "personal" against the AR's, I love the look and feel.
If that's the case, look into a piston AR too. There's several of those in your price range. A decent piston AR seems to run $1300-1500, depending on make/model.
Old February 16, 2010, 03:59 PM   #22
justinfranks

I do want a 5.56, but just out of curiousity how cheap is a different caliber barrel for that XCR and is that really all you need to change calibers? No bolt work?? That would be pretty cool. Is the Ruger Piston AR decent? I keep getting negative feedback about Ruger products altogether when I had always thought they were good.
Old February 16, 2010, 05:52 PM   #23
riverwalker76

"That is by far the best looking Mini I have seen. This may be a foolish question but can you get those with a bull/ matchgrade barrel? Also, did you pay the $921 retail or can you get that model cheaper?? Thanks. "

I paid $620 for mine new in the box from my local dealer.

You will find that the prices that are listed on manufacturer's websites are quite high. This is so most dealers can have the appearance of being cheaper.

If you can't find one locally for $620 then let me know. I will give you my dealer's name and website and you can order it from him. He had 3 in stock when I was in there on Friday.
Old February 16, 2010, 06:14 PM   #24
themusgrat

On the XCR, you do have to change some innards as well, but it's not much. I think just the bolt, brass deflector, and the barrel.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:31 PM   #25
justinfranks

Im still really in the desiding phase. Does anyone have any info on the Benelli MR-1? Does anyone have any dealers that can offer it, or others like the XCR cheaper than up her in VT? The pricing up here is around $1300 for the Benelli, and around $1700 for the XCR.
Oh and does anyone have any 300 yard results for a Ruger Mini-14? I know thats a strech but I am trying to compare it to others! Thanks

Tags
assualt rifle , buying , cheap , reliable