The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
furtaker

muzzel velocity?

Is there a formula or chart for muzzle velocity so you dont have to use a chronograph? It seems that if you know the powder burn rate,the type of primer, bullet weight, the distance the lead is from the lands, rate of twist, and barrel length, you could come up with something close, without buying a chronograph? Any ideas?
Old March 16, 2009, 09:29 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

manuals get you in the ballpark....but nothing beats a chrono. If you are serious about shooting, nothing can replace a chrono.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 16, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
SL1

Well, if you want to do all those calculations, you could by the Quickload program. It will cost you more than a lot of chronographs. But, you can use it in your living-room instead of going to the range. The down-side is that it won't tell you any more than the manuals do about how a particular load works in YOUR gun. Only a chronograph will tell you that. Individual guns can vary by over 100 fps with the exact same loads, due to a lot of factors like chamber size and throat erosion. Quickload can help with chanber size, but not throat erosion.

So, I think that you really want a chronograph if you are serious about reloading. But, I have both, because the combination tells you even more. I got my chronograph first, and think that is the best way to go. Otherwise, you are likely to believe the calculations are more accurate than they really are.

SL1
Old March 19, 2009, 03:25 PM   #4
James R. Burke

They are right there is no doubt have the manual, they will get you in the ball park, but I have never seen one match 100% never! I have seen them really off. Alot has to do with the rifle they were using, and what you are using, barrel length, seating depth can really change things fast. No doubt always have the manual that is needed, but get a crony. You can get a pretty nice one for a decent price you wont be sorry. I always use mine. One of the best investments you can make in reloading. I see alot of reloaders with a ton of nice equipment but no crony. Keep it safe, and have fun!
Old March 19, 2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You won't be very close to the published numbers. Whether hand loads or factory, the only way to know is a chrony. Even the ballistic coefficient is not "true to life". You still need a chrony and shots at multiple distances to get a good number.
Old March 19, 2009, 03:38 PM   #6
kraigwy

Problem is, with the velocity listed in the reloading manuals are a long ways from reality.

I've never found listing in a reloading manuel that matched the actual results from a cronograph.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 19, 2009, 05:51 PM   #7
furtaker

Thanks all!