The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
boatmonkey82

old shot gun help !

i was plundering thru my parents house today and discovered what appears to be a old single shot . hard to read any numbers or letters but i did make out made in spain and cch... or chc.... something along that line , its a 12ga , the break is the ol timey switch style and it has stunning art work on the frame with dogs and scroll work engraved all over it . it has lost a bit of its shine and luster but i bet she will shoot . any idea on what she is and maybe value? it looks like it may be late 1800's or early 1900's or hell it could have been made last year !
Old January 13, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
USA123456789

could you possibly post some pictures of it ??? I'm more of a visual then tell person.

USA USA USA USA
Old January 13, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Doyle

Do not shoot that gun unless you find out exactly what it is. If it really is from the late 1800's or early 1900's, then it could have damascus barrels. Those were made for black powder shotshells only and WILL blow up if you try to use modern shells in them. Do an internet search on damascus barrel and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Hawg

Doyle, I don't recommend it by any means but I grew up shooting smokeless 2 3/4 shells out of Damascus barrels with 2 1/2 inch chambers. Never had one split, crack or bulge. In fact the only ones I have definite knowledge of doing any of that were muzzleloaders that were loaded with smokeless. If it were mine I'd just cut down some 2 3/4 shells to 2 1/2 inches, reload them with bp and shoot it. That's what I do with mine now.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Doyle

Hawg, I'm glad you didn't not have any problems but my remarks still stand. If you do an internet search, you'll find plenty of examples of blown damascas barrels from using smokeless powder. Human eyes and hands are too valuable to take chances with.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Human eyes and hands are too valuable to take chances with.
I agree but there's no harm in shooting bp loads out of damascus barrels in good shape with the right length shell. I've got two damascus barreled guns I shoot fairly often. One's a sxs muzzleloader made around 1840 and the other is a Lancaster sxs made around the turn of the century.
Old January 15, 2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shotguns and grenades have similar working pressures. I strongly urge anyone with an old shotgun to have a competent smith look it over before deciding to fire it.

Some(most) old shotguns have chambers shorter than modern ammo is made for. Pressures spike when modern loads are fired in them and when higher pressure modern ammo is used,well, it can get very wrong very quickly.

Me, I wouldn't fire a Spanish made antique single from an unknown maker on a bet without a good smith I'd trust my life and limb to.

To the OP,please post some pics of your shotgun if you can and describe any and all marks thereon so we have a better idea of what it is.

Obscure makers oft do not carry much market value, sorry.....