The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2007, 07:18 AM   #1
kym

Benelli M1 Super 90 questions

I was looking at a couple of Benelli M1 Super 90s and noticed that some were labeled Magnum and some 2 3/4 - 3. What does Magnum mean? Well it still shoot 2 3/4s okay? One had a post like thing to cock the bolt and the other had more of a larger tab instead. Is this just an option or is one older then the other. Any place where I can read about the changes in the models over the years? Is the recoil the same on all of them, M1, M2, M3 or M4?
Old November 20, 2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Stan_TheGunNut

Check out www.benelliusa.com
They have a forum there too and the members there can likely answer any Benelli related questions you have.

It's my understanding (could be off the mark here), that the M1 is no longer manufactured. The M2 is the new version of the M1. Both the M1 and M2 are inertia operated. The M3 is interchangable as a pump or auto loader, also inertia operated in the auto mode. The M4 is a gas operated gun.
I have both an M2 and an M4. The recoil seems worse on the M4, but I'm also shooting full power buckshot and slugs thru it vs the lighter clay loads that I'm shooting thru the M2. Gas operated guns tend to have less recoil in general. I would say with high confidence that the M1 can handle both 2.75 and 3 inch ammo with no problem. I doubt it works with 3.5 inch shells.
Old November 20, 2007, 07:06 PM   #3
billindenver

I bought a new M1 Super 90 26" camo today for a duck gun from Gander. They do not take 3 1/2's. I'm thinking if I really need 3.5" power, I'll put hevishot in instead of steel.

Must have been a left over since they have been replaced a while ago by the M2. I paid $650ish and I'm thinking it was a pretty decent deal as it was $150 under the lowest price I could find on gunbroker. As is typical, I buy the thing and the worst cold front of the year rolls through and closes down all of the trap/skeet ranges so I have yet to fire it. I'm hoping to get into one tomorrow, otherwise the first round out of the barrel could well be aimed at a flying feather machine this weekend. Actually, that doesn't sound bad at all.

Bill
Old November 30, 2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Neanderthal

billindenver-You got a heck of a good price on your gun! Congratulations! Yes, maybe I'm a little jealous, but I'll get over it.
Old November 30, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5
sholling

I've had an M1 Super 90 for about 15 years and think you'll love yours. They fire 2-3/4 or 3" interchangeably. Mix them if the tube if you like the M1 won't care. They will not do the newer 3-1/2" loads.