The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1
cledford

How weatherproof a cap and ball revolver?

Is there any way to weather proof a cap and ball revolver for carrying afield? Say for example a few days hunting or hiking?

I heard back in the old days they would melt candle wax around the nipples and drop a drip or 2 in the area were the ball meet the cylinder wall - but that sounds very dangerous...

Also, on a hunt where you might encounter weather how would you suggest unloading the gun if concerned about the integrity of the charge? If you shoot it you likely can't clean it and now you're carrying it in at least a humid environment.

Even if it nice out and you shoot the gun with Black powder or substitute on day one and say you're gone for 3-5 days total, camping out - how, or would you, clean the gun? What if you didn't and what would be the minimum "field cleaning” you could do to not destroy your firearm?

Thanks and sorry for all of the questions.

-Calvin
Old February 28, 2007, 02:47 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many CB revolver shooters put grease over the balls in the chambers and that should also work fine to waterproof that end. Tight-fitting caps will normally be pretty waterproof, but some hard grease (yes, candle wax will do) over the cap and nipple will keep out moisture.

As to cleaning, if the caps themselves are non-corrosive (most are), there should be no big problem just from humidity for a day or so. If it is that wet, you should be able to carry at least a cleaning rod and some patches and then depend on having enough water to swab out the barrel.

On the outside of the gun, a protective grease or oil coating will help protect the finish. If the gun is being carried for an emergency and not to be routinely fired, it can be carried in a "zip lock" baggie, which will keep it dry indefinitely.

Jim
Old February 28, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
drdirk

As far as the cleaning is concerned, I have used two different things:
Either clean with water and dry it in the field. I take the grips off and just hose the gun down. Then I spray the gun with WD 40 that I keep in the car to displace all the water. Don't really do anything else until I get home. Or I load 777 and just don't bother at all. The stuff is pretty clean and a few days of neglect seem to be fine.

In the winter I seal with borebutter. When it is hot I use a wad and don't seal. I try to have the caps fit as tight as possible. Have heard about the was but have not had time or reason to try.

Happy shooting!
Old February 28, 2007, 11:50 PM   #4
Old Dragoon

An old trick we used 35 years ago was to put clear fingernail polish around the edge of the cap where it overlaps the nipple, and grease over the ball.
Did the same with a Flintlock pistol and rifle, around the pan/frizzen joint and between the frizzen and the bbl. Both worked really well in the rain and wet. With the Flinters, if you could get a spark (and they will spark in the rain) it'd go BOOM in the rain.
Old March 3, 2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Double J

There's an old story that tells about a group of Texas Rangers running into a Commanche war party during a rain. Ranger's guns wouldn't fire, Indian's bowstrings useless. After a general round of curseing, everyone went their own way. Even if the pistol is tight, the powder can draw enough dampness to turn to a grey goo. Left over night is a no-no. Even if left loaded in a tent. Keep a ball puller handy for those trips.
Old March 26, 2007, 07:20 PM   #6
O.S.O.K.

I'd go with Old Dragoon's advice

and add that a good flap holster helps protect the revolver more - and even better if under your rain gear - like an oiled duster if you want to be more authentic.

Acetone will clean the nail polish off of the niples after shooting - its the main ingredient in nail polish remover.
Old March 26, 2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Steve499

As far as cleaning goes, carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol along and use that instead of water. That's all I use anymore to clean all my black powder guns with, both muzzleloading and cartridge. They get lubed with olive oil afterward. I have no rust and I don't have hangfires and misfires anymore, either.

Steve