The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2002, 01:49 PM   #1
caravan

question about bullet pullers

Hello to everyone.
I’m starting to reload my own 9mm and now find the need for a bullet puller (the one that looks like a hammer and works by the principle of inertia)

I’ve heard that some of them are really fragile and do not last for much time. But there are a few brands available in the catalogs; maybe a certain brand is better in quality than the other?
Can you please recommend a long lasting one?

All opinions and comments welcome
Thanks in advance

Caravan
Old November 27, 2002, 03:41 PM   #2
AZ Jeff

In the 30 years I have been reloading, I have owned 2 of these 'kinetic bullet pullers', both made by the guys who make them for RCBS, which RCBS private labels with their brand name.

The first one lasted about 5 years, and then I got the bright idea to clean out the inside of it with aerosol Brake Cleaner. The plastic crazed when exposed to that solvent, and it shattered the next time I used it. Bad plan!

My second puller has lasted the other 20 years, and has pulled hundreds of rounds over the years. It looks as good now as when I bought it. (I clean it with soap and water when it's dirty now!!!!)
Old November 27, 2002, 03:43 PM   #3
Steve Smith

After the metal handle bends back about 20 degrees you start looking for other alternatives. I like the collet die pullers for rifle rounds.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old November 28, 2002, 05:30 AM   #4
podwich

I've been using the Midway branded puller for a year now and it hasn't broken yet.
Old November 28, 2002, 08:49 AM   #5
Sisco

I've also been using the Midway for several years, think I finally wore out one of the collets.
Old November 28, 2002, 02:32 PM   #6
dodgestdshift

Sk:

Instead of using the collets, consider using the shellholder from your press. You will find it works great, and won't break.

Don N.
Old November 28, 2002, 09:46 PM   #7
David Wile

Hey Caravan,

Since the mid 1960s, I have used both an inertia puller as well as an RCBS collet puller. When pulling a bunch of bullets, I generally opt for the collet puller; if it is only one or two bullets, the inertia puller is usually my choice. I used the inertia puller for about thirty years when it finally broke while in use. I was sorry to see it break, but I consider it well worthwhile and have replaced it with another inertia bullet puller just like the first. Like I said earlier, however, I prefer using the collet puller for more than a few cartridges at a time. The collet puller is a lot less fuss than the inertia puller.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old November 29, 2002, 03:52 AM   #8
Andy Chadwick

I use the collet type puller from RCBS. Works like a champ. Haven't used the impact type, but I've heard some have trouble with powder spilling eveywhere.
Old December 2, 2002, 12:09 AM   #9
caravan

I wanted to thank to all of you who have answered.
I’m going to get the RCBS hammer type, I do not think it would be pulling on a daily basis; but since I’m learning to reload I find this useful just in case.
Thanks again for your interest in this topic. I´m setting up my working bench, hope to start by weekend. I´ll come back with some news.
regards.
Caravan.
Old December 2, 2002, 01:48 AM   #10
Sisco

dodgestdshift - I'll give that a try!
Old December 2, 2002, 02:37 PM   #11
AZ Jeff

The trick to making the "kinetic" (hammer type) bullet puller work is NOT to use them like a hammer. If you are bending the rod part of the puller that is the shank of the handle, you are using it like a hammer, and NOT getting the most benefit from the tool.

The trick is in the wrist, as they say. Once the cartridge extractor groove is tightened in the jaws of the puller, use a flicking of the wrist to accelerate the head of the puller against a VERY SOLID surface. (The concrete floor of the garage works really well. A brick/cinder block is not as effective.)

The flicking action puts all the velocity into the head of the puller, and thence into the cartridge. This will pull ANY bullet, with the exception of some military stuff that uses the asphaltic cement, in about 2-5 flicks/impacts.
Old December 2, 2002, 02:55 PM   #12
Steve Smith

I learned the wrist flick after the rod bent. Collet type works well for dummies.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 2, 2002, 06:30 PM   #13
warrior23

bullet puller

Where can I locate one for 338 lapua.I have 2 (hammer types) and a collet type and I cant seem to get the 338 round in either ones?