The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 3, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1
CCCLVII

Any one hunted big game with a suppressor?

I was going to try hunting deer this year with a suppressor but sadly I do not get my "stuff" together in time.

Other than protecting your hearing I don't see much of an advantage over shooting un-suppressed while hunting unless you can take multiple animals.

I found this video, while its poor quality it clearly shows it does not spook the deer too much, is it always like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE5LlYqgcys
Old October 3, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCLVII
...it clearly shows it does not spook the deer too much, is it always like that?
I can't speak to hunting with a supressor except to say that protecting your ears is enough of an advantage, anything else is just icing.

What I will say is that in regards to hunting, NOTHING is ever "always like that". I've shot deer with short(er)-barreled (18") 12ga shotgun when they were at distances of 15 or 20 FEET and had the others in the herd stand there looking at me like nothing happened and I've seen deer jump and run from a shot fired hundreds of yards away that wasn't even in their direction.

So, no, you can't count on that reaction, or any other reaction.
Old October 3, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Deja vu

I saw a deer shot with a subsonic round from a Ruger 77/44. 335 grain cast bullet at about 1000 FPS did pretty well.

The buck that was shot dropped to the ground and kicked for about 10 seconds. There where 4 other deer near by watched it kick and when it stopped they went back to eating.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...