The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 15, 2000, 07:50 PM   #1
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I purchased an M1 Carbine last week. I would also like to have an .30 Carbine pistol. I know the Rugers are strong and accurate, but I would like to get one of the Carbine-type pistols (semi-auto, and longer barrel than Ruger). I would appreciate any information as to value, sources, and quality of these guns.

Thanks,
John

-------------
Where do broken hearts go?
Old April 18, 2000, 05:06 PM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

btt- any additional info appreciated.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:35 PM   #3
steve4016

30 cal pistol

If your talking about the IJ Enforcer ..Dont see too many around anymore..once in a blue moon and some going for 700-750 last I cked on gun auctions..I lucked out and took one in trade ....box and inspector tag,15/30 rd mags..I just ordered 2 40 rds for the gun also...wouldnt part with mine for nothing..well..(at least not for anything less than a crazy offer I couldnt refuse)..its fun to shoot...makes for a great home defense gun also...and with all the hi-buck rifles such as AR'S n' AKs..it this little thing that everyone want to hold and shoot
Old December 16, 2008, 02:16 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Most of the Iver Johnson Enforcers work very well.
The Universal model is more common. Get the IJ if you can.
Old December 20, 2008, 06:22 PM   #5
steve4016

IV Johnson Enforcer

I think they were used by "tunnel Rats in" Vietnam..I shot a few rounds today thru mine and my ears rung for 20 minutes..I cant imagine having to empty a mag inside of one of those tunnels
Old December 20, 2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

I can't think of a worse gun for shooting in a tunnel!
I shot mine out of the passenger side window of my car, from the driver's seat. Trust me, you NEVER want to do that! The short barreled .30 carbine pistols have an impressive (to say the least!) muzzle blast and concussion.
Old December 20, 2008, 08:55 PM   #7
RJay

The .30 caliber Enforcer was never used by " tunnel Rats" in RVN, that is ridiculous.
Old December 21, 2008, 05:42 AM   #8
mpage

Quote:
I shot mine out of the passenger side window of my car, from the driver's seat. Trust me, you NEVER want to do that! The short barreled .30 carbine pistols have an impressive (to say the least!) muzzle blast and concussion.
So have I; shooting firearms from a car is an enjoyable experience. The trick is, make sure the muzzle is outside the vehicle.
Old December 31, 2008, 03:01 AM   #9
steve4016

Enforcer

I got the tunnel rat theory from a guy selling an enforcer on gunsamerica..I just figured he (anyone ) for that matter knew more about these guns than I..I have read where law enforcement has in the past used them( auto version)..I really dont know why they were made or their intended purpose..all I know is the kick suprised me and its too loud to shoot..but the cool factor wows all my friends and it looks bitchin in the gun cabinet
Old December 31, 2008, 09:25 AM   #10
SDC

Actually, the "Tunnels of Cu Chi", about the tunnel rats in RVN, does mention a number of weapons that were initially used by tunnel rats, including sawed-off M1 and M2 Carbines; these certainly wouldn't have been factory-made pistols, but just a case of "what can I get my hands on that is light enough, short enough to use in a tunnel, and powerful enough to put someone down in a fight underground?" In the end, they ended up gravitating towards standard pistols and revolvers for most of these purposes.