The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2017, 05:58 AM   #1
juggernault98

Odd malfunction....

So shooting with the department yesterday for night fire using winchester fmj 115 gr.

Second course of fire only shot 50 before. I pulled the trigger pop and a light kick.

Recognizing the feel of "that's not right" I immediately rack tap assess. Well, I couldn't rack. So I pulled the mag out and still could not rack.

Eventually I was able to rack the slide. A loaded round flew out, but I noticed a black spot on the primer..

Looking at the case the primer was out of the pocket a good couple of mm and the black spot that I saw was a deep hole in the primer.

I am thinking it was no powder in the case or barley any powder. Causing the force of the primer to hit the bullet and then coming back ( path of least resistance) to the primer. I along with everyone else has never seen that before coming from a commercial round.

Figured I would share.
Old January 13, 2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Snyper

No powder could cause that as could a lack of, or an obstructed flash hole.
I'd pull the bullet to see what I could find.
Old January 13, 2017, 06:57 AM   #3
Don P

Bad primer, simple
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 13, 2017, 08:32 AM   #4
griz

I had a similar failure with some obscure cheap surplus 9mm. After I racked the slide, I went to pick up the round and the sealant around the primer was bubbling. That made me concerned so I let it sit for several minutes. Turns out there was no flash hole in the case.