The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 29, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
steveNChunter

May Have To Eat My Words About Savage Axis...

I have openly discussed my dislike of the Savage Axis and its flimsy stock, and its heavy trigger. Those are two attributes of this rifle that seriously handicap it IMO.

With Boyd's recently coming out with laminate stocks for it, (which include a metal trigger guard), the aftermarket for the Axis is complete. And its got me thinking...

I could buy an Axis stainless for ~$350, drop it in a Boyd's laminate stock-$100, glass bed it, put a Timney trigger in it-$100, and have about $550 (minus scope) in a pretty nice stainless/laminate rifle that would likely be a tack driver. Also a rifle that could be easily rebarreled later if wanted.

I haven't even decided what chambering I would get but I know it would be short action since they all come with 22" barrels. Thats a couple inches short for an '06 family cartridge. I realize they only come in one action length, which isn't a big deal to me. Just gives me plenty of room to seat the bullets out as far as needed.

Am I crazy? Is it worth it to do this to an Axis? Does someone need to talk some sense into me?
Old October 29, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Or... you could pick up a quality used rifle with a laminate stock (that didn't start life as a "bargain rifle"), for even less.....
Old October 29, 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
taylorce1

Not worth it IMO, can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Plenty of Steven's 200's to be had though none are SS. Or you could buy a Savage 16 TH XP package and drop it in a Boyd's Laminate for not much more money.

The short action caliber magazines are going to have a spacer in them, so you'll only be able to run magazine. Or you can operate it as a single shot. Or you'll have to buy a long action cartridge and re-barrel to get more magazine space with a short action cartridge.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Polinese

I'm putting a lot of money into my Axis... tapping the barrel for iron sights, new mount/scope, boyds stock, pillar and glass bedding it, and a timney trigger BUT this was my first rifle ever, and thus what I learned to shoot on, so I feel the need to give it a little extra attention than the budget design may deserve. If it'd been something I purchased later on I probably woudln't bother... except maybe the stock. It's a great rifle for what it is, I love mine, but it is what it is.
Old October 30, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
steveNChunter

After I saw that their .223 is a 1:9" twist it got even more tempting.

I'd have the same amount in the Axis after the aftermarket stuff as I would a base model Mossberg MVP.

If only they offered the Stevens 200 in stainless...
Old October 31, 2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

I've been thinking about getting one of these with the youth stock for introducing my grandsons to center-fire calibers. Deer hunting for them is less than certain since hunting here in western OR, sucks.

My concern was that I wouldn't be able to replace the stock later on when the youth model becomes too short for them. It looks like the good old boys at Boyds solved that one...

I can see getting one if it's the rifle you can afford then add the stock later as funds allow and then the trigger.

BTW, a home made snap cap and a few hours of dry firing while watching TV will smooth out many a heavy trigger...

Tony
Old October 31, 2013, 10:18 AM   #7
FiveInADime

I bought a Marlin XS7 over a Stevens 200 because I wanted a stainless action and it was $350 OTD. It now has a Boyd's walnut stock ($100) and will soon have a Shilen barrel. I totally would have bought an Axis if I would have known someone was going to make stocks for them.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:37 AM   #8
tdoyka

my son (meaning me) bought a camo axis in 243 win and he loves it. i have shot it and the trigger seems fine, myself i go with a timmeny, and the stock seems good too. his old deer rifle (meaning me) is an 7x57 built on a mauser 98, timeny trigger, 20" dougles barrel, and "real wood" synthetic stock. it just knocks the heck out of deer, 139gr hornady soft point(round nose).
then theres the encore witn the ....

oh yeah....buy it, do it!!!!
Old October 31, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Jay24bal

Do it

I just received shipping confirmation from Boyd's today that my new stock is on the way for my Axis in .223.

I agree with you that the factory stock is too flimsy, and it indeed flexes when shot off of a bipod. That said, I was averaging about .65 MOA groups (5 shot) at 100 yards with the Axis in the factory stock, using handloads I developed for the rifle. On a good day, they were around .470 ranging to .8 on a bad day, with a couple in the .3's (certainly not regularly though). I did snip a couple coils off the trigger spring to lighten it up, but bare bones stock other than that.

I plan to glass bed the action as soon as the stock arrives, and I can not wait to see what the rifle is capable of with a good stock on it.

I am into the rifle for only $600 total ($270 for the stainless as I got it on sale, $40 for a bipod, $100 for the Boyd's stock, $150 for the glass, and $40 for the bedding kit) and hopefully with the new stock and glass bedding, I will have a consistent sub-half-MOA rifle. What else could you want in a $600 rig (or a $1,500 rig for that matter)?

Do it.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old October 31, 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
FiveInADime

I don't know about the rest, but I would sure like to see some pictures when you get your stock.
Old October 31, 2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Jay24bal

Will do fivedime. According to the tracking info, it still has not been picked up and they have only printed the label, so I do not expect to receive it until Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Unfortunately, I may have to wait to glass bed it as I believe I am out of bedding compound I normally use (Miles Gilbert Bedrock Kit) and it is on backorder at the moment from Midway. O well, that just means I will shoot it for a month or so without and I can see how much of a difference the stock makes on its own without glass bedding.

I ordered the Boyd's Classic Stock in Pepper Laminate to put on the stainless action.

Old October 31, 2013, 03:57 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

I understand why you want to do it, but I don't understand what the appeal of the Axis is. It is the product of a corner-cutting exercise (on an existing action), and was designed to be as cheap as possible to produce, while maximizing profit.

Several other options on the market, though, were designed from scratch to be good rifles that reduced machining time and production costs. -The Marlin X7s being a perfect example. ...and the X7s have a great reputation, right out of the box.
Old October 31, 2013, 05:03 PM   #13
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
I understand why you want to do it, but I don't understand what the appeal of the Axis is. It is the product of a corner-cutting exercise (on an existing action), and was designed to be as cheap as possible to produce, while maximizing profit.

Several other options on the market, though, were designed from scratch to be good rifles that reduced machining time and production costs. -The Marlin X7s being a perfect example. ...and the X7s have a great reputation, right out of the box.
I do think the Marlin has better features out of the box, and most of them shoot very well, but $270 for a brand new stainless action that you can put a nice stock, trigger, and barrel on all in your garage seems like a great deal. The trigger on the Marlin is pretty good but it isn't a Timney or Rifle Basix. If you wanted to customize and didn't care about stainless then the Stevens 200 is the way to go, IMO.

Now if you are like the OP and just want to keep the factory barrel and put on a nice stock, you really can't beat a stainless Axis and a Boyd's stock for ~$370. Plus there are probably a lot of Edge/Axis rifles in closets that people would shoot again if they put a nice stock on them.
Old October 31, 2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Polinese

I got the same notice from boyds today. Ordered the nutmeg prairie hunter. I'll also work on posting some pics once the smith is all done putting her together.
Old October 31, 2013, 05:10 PM   #15
PawPaw

Quote:
I haven't even decided what chambering I would get but I know it would be short action since they all come with 22" barrels. Thats a couple inches short for an '06 family cartridge.
My '06 has a 22" barrel and does just fine. It's a Savage 111, but I don't feel handicapped with a 22" barrel. On the other hand, I had to buy two Axis last year for left-handed grandkids. Both rifles were in .25-06 and they're accurate and dependable. The .25-06 is one of our family favorites and I've been really pleased with the cartridge in a variety of rifles.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 31, 2013, 06:28 PM   #16
steveNChunter

Quote:
I ordered the Boyd's Classic Stock in Pepper Laminate to put on the stainless action.
I like the Prairie Hunter in Pepper Laminate. That will look GREAT with stainless.

Quote:
My '06 has a 22" barrel and does just fine. It's a Savage 111, but I don't feel handicapped with a 22" barrel. On the other hand, I had to buy two Axis last year for left-handed grandkids. Both rifles were in .25-06 and they're accurate and dependable. The .25-06 is one of our family favorites and I've been really pleased with the cartridge in a variety of rifles.
I already have a .25-06 with a 22" barrel and it does a fine job, but I know I'm not getting quite all of what the cartridge has to offer. 26" would be ideal and that rifle may get rebarreled eventually to a 26-28" .25-06AI. I really don't have a need for another .25-06 or .270 or .30-06. I still haven't made my mind up about what chambering I'd get, but .223, 22-250, 7mm-08 and .308 are all in the running. I already have plenty of .243/6mm's.

Quote:
I don't understand what the appeal of the Axis is.
The fact that most of them are sub-MOA with the factory tupperware and crappy trigger, and can be made even more accurate with the Boyd's stock and a Timney/Rifle Basix or even doing a little work to the stock trigger. And a stainless rifle can be had for $300-$350. That's what is appealing to me.

Quote:
I am into the rifle for only $600 total ($270 for the stainless as I got it on sale, $40 for a bipod, $100 for the Boyd's stock, $150 for the glass, and $40 for the bedding kit) and hopefully with the new stock and glass bedding, I will have a consistent sub-half-MOA rifle. What else could you want in a $600 rig (or a $1,500 rig for that matter)?
Sounds like a nice setup. Should be much more accurate than its supposed to be for that amount of money

Last edited by steveNChunter; November 2, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:07 PM   #17
hgmeyer

It is too easy to clean up the stock trigger to not try that first. The stock can be "fixed" easily. Both of those fixes won't cost $50. Buy a great scope (my .308 deserved it after the trigger and stock fix).

Very nice rifle for any money, and especially at the price it was from Dicks on Black Friday last year, $306 with tax and out the door with the "starter" scope.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:36 AM   #18
4runnerman

Steve--What is the hang up with the Axis you are having?. The trigger?. 5 minutes to clip 1.5 coils off it and you now have about a 3 lb trigger ( crisp,no creep and breaks clean ). The stock you also mentioned. Issue is?. Flimsy?. For a target rifle -yes. For a hunting rifle- Does not come into play at all.

The Issue really boils down to the fact that you only spent $300.00 on a rifle that shoots sub MOA out of the box. I have 2 Axis. One in a 223 and a 243.
They are not pretty by a long shot ( dont argue that ). But when your at the bench and you shoot one hole ,over and over, and the guy next to you with his $1000.00 rifle can't- You get this little chuckle inside. I am 52 yrs old now and maybe this is not the issue with you,but I have long got over the having to have a pretty rifle or a costly one. When the day is over all that is left is to look at the targets and say, Wow.

I see it at the range with my two all the time. I relish it when they come over and see my targets and say what ya shooting---- I look at them and say-- Just this cheap,flimsy pile of junk Savage . Just remember--When the shooting is over and the rifles are put away in the case,All that is left is the Targets sitting on the table to talk about. At that time it is really unimportant what rifle,what scope or how ugly or flimsy it looks. The proof is right there in front of you.

This is unrelated here but thought I would throw it in.
last year I had the opportunity to shoot with the Commander of the Red River Vally Swat team. He was looking for a 223 , just to plink with, He got a Axis in a 223 and was very Happy with it. Said he could not believe how accurate that thing was.

Last edited by 4runnerman; November 2, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old November 2, 2013, 09:39 AM   #19
steveNChunter

I will try clipping 1.5 coils off the trigger. I will be shooting targets quite a bit with it and possibly working it into my hunting rotation occasionally as well.

My only real hang up with it in factory configuration (after the trigger mod) is the stock.

It's ugly as sin. I dont have to have high gloss French walnut, I have a couple synthetic-stocked rifles. But the weird futuristic lines and grooves in the Axis stock just turns me off. And when you can have a nice looking laminate like a Boyd's for $100, I consider that a pretty good deal. And it's something that's actually worth doing a bedding job in.

My last decision is chambering selection. Jury's still out on that one but that's a topic for another thread.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:40 AM   #20
4runnerman

True on the stock Steve- For $100.00 can't go wrong
Old November 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #21
reynolds357

There would be nothing wrong with customizing the Axis. You would not have much more money in one of the Classic Savage rifles than the tricked out Axis.
Old November 5, 2013, 06:02 AM   #22
steveNChunter

I think I'm going to just get one and put the Boyd's stock on it and not replace the trigger. I'll just lighten up the stock one myself. That way I'll only have a little over $400 invested in it not counting a scope.

I know I could almost buy a "regular" Savage for that price, but it wouldn't be stainless. I'm wanting a stainless/laminate rifle, and this seems to be my best option for the money.
Old November 5, 2013, 07:18 AM   #23
4runnerman

Steve- If you would,Drop me a line when you put the stock on it. I was just looking at them. That pepper one would look real nice on my 223.
Old November 5, 2013, 09:34 AM   #24
steveNChunter

Ok will do. I probably won't have the stock till around Christmas. I think I'm going to go with the prairie hunter version because it has the high-comb cheek peice which I think will fit me better and line me up better with the scope for a good cheek weld.
Old November 5, 2013, 09:56 AM   #25
Jay24bal

4runner - According to UPS, my Boyd's Classic in Pepper will be arriving today and I plan to mount it up tonight on my stainless 223. I will throw some pics out on this thread as a couple people have inquired.