The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
bswiv

Thanksgiving Morning......??

Just cuerious...................

Will we be the only ones spending the first few hours of the day sitting in a tree?

In our case we found a fair stand, a good hundred trees over about 25 acres, of swamp chestnut oaks ( only a few are dropping nuts this year, and those not many ) and marked a couple of spots to carry the climbers to in the morning.

And for this opportunity we give thanks, not just to this Free Country ( not as free as it used to be but we're working on that ) but also to our friends Scott and Michelle who're doing the cooking this year. Hopefully we'll arrive at their house with not just a couple of bushels of oysters, the salmon and the shrimp but also with a little blood on the truck.

Happy Thanksgiving indeed!
Old November 21, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
EMN89

I will be hunting with a good friend and his father, we will be hunting on national forest. we don't kill a lot of deer there but its more about tradition and spending time with family and friends, a deer is just icing on the cake.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:42 PM   #3
alex0535

If I don't get one this evening, i might go out in the morning.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
SPEMack618

If this evening's duck hunt isn't succesful, I will probably get a quick hunt in before we have to load to head off for Thanksgiving lunch.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:22 PM   #5
DAP90

It’ll be pheasants and coyotes for me. It’s supposed to be a bad year for pheasants where I’m going but the coyotes are everywhere.

There’s a ton of turkeys around too but I need to check the out of state license price. Last time it was around $80 for two; which just seems high to me.

I’ve never hunted deer but I’d really like to. I’d heard the out of state doe tag was $55 for whitetails this year in Nebraska but I procrastinated and didn’t check. I also don’t know if it’s over the counter or draw or what. Maybe I’ll get one if that’s still a possibility. I’ve hunted pheasants on that farmland for 12 years and know where the deer are, I’ve just never had a license. This year though I’m already bringing the .243 for coyotes and since I’ve zeroed for 100gr Core-Lokts I’m pretty much good to go (except on field dressing - which has me concerned as I've never done it before on a deer).
Old November 21, 2012, 03:27 PM   #6
mete

I did it once .It's a busy day when you hunt and fortunately get a deer early .Get it home ,hang , cool, butcher and wrap the meat ,get cleaned up, rush to my friends and carve the turkey and eat !! Fortunately it was in my younger days when I had more energy !!
Old November 21, 2012, 03:33 PM   #7

The wife says turkey dinner is at noon so I might go for the evening hunt...................maybe both.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
12GaugeShuggoth

Yup, all day long if my back holds up. Got some ham biscuits ready tonight to take with me, and a big chunk of stuffing. Probably bring along a Tramadol or two just for good measure. With the way the wind has been blowing I'll be asleep in no time. Hey, nothing beats a nap 25 feet up a tree.

The extended family get-together is put off until Sunday, as so many of us are going to be in the woods tomorrow.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 21, 2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Vermonter

yes

She will be waking up at 4am to do the turkey and meal thing. I will be hea
ding for the woods. I have always heard of guys doing this but this will be my first thanksgiving in the woods.
Either way I am a lucky man and extreemly thankful.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:47 PM   #10
SPEMack618

Well, it looks like I won't be hunting in the morning, despite failing miserably tonight, I was just informed that turkey frying responsibilities will be mine in the morning.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:39 PM   #11
treg

I'm going to hunt a couple hours in the AM, go do family stuff, then hunt a while till dark.

I have pretty good luck on Thanksgiving day.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:01 PM   #12
jmtbiggin

Me to treg,everyone else wanted to rub their bellies and snooze. I went and sat on my bucket and got my best buck thanksgiving afternoon.
Old November 22, 2012, 04:53 AM   #13
rebs

I will be bringing my wife home from the hospital, she had surgery and will be ready to come home today.
Thank you Lord
Old November 22, 2012, 06:45 AM   #14
Djmudge

I was going this morning in Georgia but the dnr website was down so couldn't get my license.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:28 AM   #15
cdmckane

I getting in a few hours of OT this morning but I hope to be afield by noon. Wife and baby are at her family's for the day and my family's deal is Sunday.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 22, 2012, 08:13 AM   #16
TheNatureBoy

Hey Rebs....glad your wire if coming home and I pray all goes well for her and you. God bless you both

I intended to hunt today but I went to bed last night with a splitting headache and woke up with the same this morning I'm gonna rest up today and get back out there tomorow morning
Old November 22, 2012, 11:57 AM   #17
CCCLVII

Quote:
I will be hunting with a good friend and his father, we will be hunting on national forest. we don't kill a lot of deer there but its more about tradition and spending time with family and friends, a deer is just icing on the cake.
sounds like a good time to me. I was going to go on a bird hunt this morning but work called me in.
Old November 22, 2012, 05:47 PM   #18
BerdanSS

Heck yes...got up at 4:15 and headed out to pick up a good buddy and head out to the woods. Hour drive from his place to our spot.....didn't even see anything this morning though... until we called it and headed home. Saw a massive doe standing in a field behind to the property we hunt on the way out from the truck... It was headed right for where we were,not that it mattered. No bonus tags there.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:02 PM   #19
12GaugeShuggoth

This morning saw lots of squirrels and birds, no deer. Moved to a different spot for the afternoon and saw 3 does and 1 buck. No shots taken, had a fun time watching the big doe lead the two small ones around. She was like a ninja creeping around, they sounded like a dump truck rolling through the woods. Still got some things to learn from their elders

Came home, made a plate up and watched the end of the game. Turkey, stuffing, kale, corn cakes, rolls, deer heart. Perfect.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 22, 2012, 10:07 PM   #20
egor20

Nope, no huntng for me. ts one of the busiest days for me, most of the boarders take their horses out for a ride then go home to eat.

Glad to hear that Rebs

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 22, 2012, 11:26 PM   #21
BIG P

Not today,Ive not missed a Thanksgiving hunt in 25 years.But I'LL be there the next 4 days. Its the best I can do. Hope you all had a Great one.