The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 21, 2012, 02:49 AM   #1
gunsgongcrazy

Just bought my first AR....so here's my first post

The gun is a PWS MK 114. I've looked at a few different options for optics and that just confused me even more. I intend on using this for taking it out to the desert and shooting at a gong/targer/coyotes more than anything else. I'm not made out of money. I have a lot of hunting rifles all equiped with nice Nikons. I've seen a lot of ARs with the Eotech style red dot optics and they are definitely bitchin. Are red dots accurate at long range or are they intended for short combat range? I'm a newbie I know, but I'm a quick learner. I've got about 4 weeks left before I take delivery so I have some time to figure out the scope for my new sweetie...they were on back-order for 8 weeks. I've been told by many that the PWS is well worth the wait though. I hope I made a good decision.
Thanks again,
gunsgongcrazy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mk1_banner.jpg (80.7 KB, 8 views)
Old February 21, 2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Skavatar

red dots generally don't have magnification. they are about the same as using irons, but gives you faster acquisition of the target then irons.

that being said, there are scopes which can be used with the red dots, most i've seen are 3x.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Bigbuckeye

Take a look at Primary Arms.....specifically his 1-4x scope. I ran one for years before I got an ACOG.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Irish B

IMO ACOG is the way to go for anything further than close combat on an assault rifle platform but rather pricey. Red dot for up close. 1-4x for outstretched plinking.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Crow Hunter

Red dot type optics real strength are fast acquisition and shooting from unconventional postions. If the dot is on the target, the that is where the bullet will hit. (Well, close to it anyway, it is a little different if you are shooting sideways under a car)

Kind of like enhanced iron sights.

If you are expecting to be shooting moving targets at close to medium range with both eyes open, then a RDS is the best idea.

If you are wanting to setup a stand and shoot at small targets a long way off and you don't want to "walk" your shots in, a magnified optic is the way to go.

The ACOG is a good compromise optic, but it has a few idiosyncrasies that you will have to overcome with training.

I have tried all 3 types. A Trijicon TR24 (green triangle), a TA 33 Green horseshoe and an Aimpoint M4s.

For shooting 1-300 yards I prefer the Aimpoint for a defensive/coyote/muskrat rifle.

Try to borrow one of each or go to a gun store that has them and try them out.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Marquezj16

Check out the Nikon M223 in 1-4x with Point Blank reticle.
Man they are sweet.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products...int_Blank/8485
Old February 21, 2012, 04:24 PM   #7
pturner67

Vortex SPARC (2 moa red dot) is pretty damn sweet and keeps you under $200

for a solid scope, look at the Leupold Mark AR and PEPR mount ...works perfectly and is sold as a set here:

http://www.sportoptics.com/leupold-m...le-scopes.aspx
Old February 21, 2012, 07:22 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

If you are shooting out in the desert then a magnified scope might e better. I have an Aimpoint red dot on one of my ARs and it is fantastic for out to 150 yds or so, depending on your eyesight. Really good for low light when the iron sights start to blend into the shadows.

But, for target shooting like shooting groups for working up new handloads I like a 3-9x scope. I got the Zeiss Conquest but I've had Nikon Monarchs and Leupold VX3 before and they are terrific as well.

The main thing is to determine what you want out of it. For shooting close in a big 4MOA red dot is nice, but for a little further out or slower precision you might a 1-2 MOA dot. For real precision past 100 yards you probably want a scope of up to 8x or 12x with fine crosshairs.

I have not tried them but Primary Arms, Vortex, Redfield seem to get good reports for value. You could get a cheaper model like Primary Arms, try it out that style of optic and if you like it then later get a more expensive brand if you feel the need. Or borrow a friends red dot and variable scope and see what you like best.

The Nikon M223 and Leupold Mark AR are what I almost bought. They were a little more and have great reviews, but for just sighting in handloads I didn't feel I needed all the ballistic compensation/reticles.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison