The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 28, 2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Evergreen

How to get California CC if you live in Oregon?

Is it possible? I was told there is a few counties in Northern California that have issued concealed weapons permits. I guess its hard enough for a Californian to get a permit, so being an Oregonian I would imagine its even harder. However, I was just throwing this out there. I do have family in California, but I refuse to go there because I am not allowed to protect myself, in a place that has some of the highest crime in the country. Has anyone heard if there is any cool sheriff or county in California where out-of-staters can get a concealed weapons permit? Does California state law forbid out-of-state people from obtaining a California permit, altogether?

Just curious.. I know this is probably just a silly question.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:41 PM   #2
SouthCali

i live here and its damn near impossible. GOod luck, in reality i give you a 2-3% chance of success on the matter
Old May 28, 2010, 04:45 PM   #3
jgcoastie

Check out www.handgunlaw.us and www.opencarry.org

Most firearms questions can be answered by one of these two websites.

IIRC, CA does not issue non-resident permits. Which means that you must be a resident of CA to attempt to obtain one of their CCW permits. I've heard rumor that even if you are a resident and obtain a CCW permit, it is only valid in the county where you live or work. Not 100% sure of that though...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:50 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

Easy answer - California doesn't issue non-resident concealed-carry licenses. (As SouthCali points out, they barely issue resident CHLs.)
Old May 28, 2010, 09:02 PM   #5
oldcspsarge

NO out-of-state non-resident permits. You must reside in jurisdiction that issues.

Any Cali CCW permit is VALID Statewide....NOT just in jurisdiction where issued.