The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 21, 2016, 09:53 AM   #1
fourbore

billet/forged side handle ar upper

I was looking at these on midway and seem like a heck of a price compared to jP and others.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/872...emington-matte

While it is forged (not billet) it seems to have the mass and rigidity of a billet receiver. This is for a heavy target shooting ar. One problem I have is the bolt is 223 size and that eliminates the 6.5 as an option. That still leave me wondering if anyone has experience with this upper. Not much to an upper, good tight fit, clean threads, and the bolt. Are bolt parts standard?

Anyone know if these side charging Midway uppers are ever offered stripped and in that case is there a industry bolt that might be had with a 6.5G bolt face. Or can I replace just the bolt in the bcg? I hate to do that, I am sure it end up costing me. I like to under stand my options. You never know, Hillary could loose and stuff could go on some crazy sales.

Old March 21, 2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Destructo6

Quote:
While it is forged (not billet) it seems to have the mass and rigidity of a billet receiver.
A forged part is typically going to be stronger than one milled from a billet.

"Billet" is a fun word to throw into your advertising, especially when the buyer has no idea what it means. Using the word also adds 20% to the part's cost.

Keep all of them clean.
Old March 21, 2016, 01:37 PM   #3
fourbore

Excellent. makes sense, 7075 is 7075.This receiver design is supposed to have greater mass, and rigidity and have greater accuracy potential. I see the cut out for ejection is extended back for the side bolt. That would seem to negate some of the rigidity advantage.

I was reading about uppers in this link on building highly accurate AR's.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ns-what-works/
Old March 23, 2016, 11:41 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

A Gibbz G4 side charger is within a few dollars of that Midway offering. The G4 has been around for some time now and is a proven design that does not require a proprietary BCG.

Being right handed I like the handle on the left side of the upper. If I need to charge the weapon I can do so without removing my hand from the grip or break my cheek weld. Very handy when shooting from the prone position.

Old March 23, 2016, 09:53 PM   #5
fourbore

That is interesting. Another even larger slot in the receiver. I do like the left bolt idea. Price within 1c of same, Brownell vs. Midway. $250 This product seems geared toward speed and practical as opposed to heavy/rigid and accurate. the standard bolt idea is excellent.

And for comparison, JP $850!! That is aluminum, right? How do they do that? I mean someone has to explain that to me. I got a JP gas block it did not cost 3x the competition for comparable features.

With AR so many choices. Funny Midway is sold out all the time and the prices are not all that great and some of the products are generic unknowns could be xyz one day and abc the next. I got one of the Midway 2 stage triggers and it is light enough - but; not that good. Even so, good or not. Sold out like forever.

Problem is I hesitate to link to anyplace I might buy because the desperate hoards may just pile in and bleed any vendor dry. Such is the nature or the panic/hoarding pre hillary frenzy.

Last edited by fourbore; March 23, 2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old March 24, 2016, 10:23 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

The Gibbz is 7075-T6 aluminum billet. You do have to use a proprietary bolt cam pin, it's 10 bucks or so. The gas key door at the rear of the upper seals up tight, no gas blow back.

If you want a good two stage trigger check out the Armalite tactical two stage. it has a adjustable sprig on the disconnecter that allow change in weight. I think it's one of the best kept secrets for AR parts. I have 4 or 5 of them now and they are easy to setup for 3.5 and 4.5 breaks. If you are comfortable with playing with trigger and hammer springs you can get the weight down below 3lbs. May not like hard primmers at that weight.
Old March 24, 2016, 10:37 AM   #7
fourbore

I do not see any adjustment on any armalite triggers ? Do you mean this one:

https://armalite.com/shop/armalite-n...e-trigger-set/

Quote:
Armalite Precision two-stage trigger set $145.00

The same trigger mechanism used on Armalite’s top grade rifles. The combination of a long first stage and light second stage gives the impression of a very light trigger while assuring long, safe sear surfaces. Made of cast steel.
I already have three JP light spring kits on order @ 10$ each.
Old March 26, 2016, 08:01 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

That's the trigger. The disco has three slots for spring position. This changes the break weight. The two stage alone is $145 or with a complete LPK it's $145. Last summer they ran $125 w/lpk.

I've used several different LPK suppliers and most are GTG but for my personal AR's I only use ArmaLite LPK parts. I prefer the shape of the bolt catch, never had a bad part, everything is top grade.