The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 10, 2008, 01:10 PM   #1
thomasanelson

Why is my thread locked??

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=265045

Thanks,

Tom
Old February 10, 2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Your thread isn't locked, never was locked.

I suspect you're trying to edit it. Posts remain editable for 4 days. If you need to change or add something, simply add a new post to the thread.
Old March 22, 2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Fisher

Mal,
Why is this a setting on this site. Why would you not let someone edit there own post beyond 4 days for whatever reason. Here is an example for you.

I posted pictures in the shotgun forum of several shotguns I own. I was notified that no one could see them. So I moved them to another hosting site which would solve the problem. Unfortuniately now I can't go in and change the address of the pictures. It seems to me that this rule will make the posts longer with all these double posts.

Could you please inlighten me please.

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old March 22, 2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Tim Burke

You don't need to create a second post even if you can't edit the OP. You can just reply and put your newly hosted pictures in the repply.
Old March 22, 2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Fisher

Tim,
I understand that part, but it still creates a longer post then needed. If we were allowed to edit the original post without a time limit. Then this isn't an issue, at least with me anyway. I am just curious why the 4 day limit.

Sorry, I probably didn't explain that very well the first time. Here is a link to the post I was referring to. I re-posted my pictures using the reply button.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...20#post2769420

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old March 22, 2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Don H

If there aren't limits on editing, someone could go back and edit his posts weeks or months later and totally change the meaning of a thread. For example, a thread that has a few hundred posts and the OP goes back a month later and removes his posts - the thread would probably no longer make sense.
Old March 22, 2008, 09:01 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

At some point, what is posted become part of the permanent record of the forum. No matter what particular amount of elapsed time is chosen, there would be good reasons to make it longer or shorter.

Fisher,

I've made the picture changes to your original post and deleted the reply.
Old March 22, 2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Fisher

Thank you John,

Please don’t take my questions as any type of criticism towards the staff here. I was only curious because I have never seen that on any other website.

Jim
~ Ronald Reagan
Old March 22, 2008, 10:21 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Don't worry, I don't think anyone has taken offense--I certainly haven't.

I haven't done a real check of all the forums I'm registered on, but my offhand impression is that it's about 50/50 as to whether there's some cutoff point after which editing one's own posts is no longer possible. In addition, the cutoff point does vary considerably, however.

I can't tell the exact number at THR but it's somewhere between 1 and 4 days, the Beretta Forum cuts off in less than a day.
Old March 23, 2008, 06:54 AM   #10
Tim Burke

The Eotac (formerly AmBack) forum cuts off in 30 minutes, IIRC.
Old March 23, 2008, 08:25 AM   #11
Hawg

Some forums won't let you edit at all.