The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 28, 2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Matt R

North Central NC Shooter--Nedd High Power Rifle Help

Hello all,

I'm a new poster but an old shooter (military, USPSA, clays, bird hunting, significant amounts of reloading, etc.). Over the last couple of years I have become interested in high power rifle, specifically service rifle shooting. I am located in the Winston-Salem, NC area and also shoot at a range near Southport, NC.

I hope to find an "old hand" at high power shooting who might be willing to help a newbie. I have been steadily accumulating equipment (2 rifles, coat, glove, spotting scope, and shooting mat to date). But have had little time to break the stuff in. If you're a service rifle enthusiast in the North Central or South Coastal areas of North Carolina, and would be interested in helping out a new shooter, please post. Many thanks and Happy New Year

Matt R
Old December 28, 2005, 10:17 PM   #2
hIPSHOT33

Hi Mat
Did you say you were a old Military shooter . If so you need to get in touch with the Military marksmanship assoication. in ft. Benning . they are made up of old ,old ,old shooters and I know some of the old guys are around your area .
I shot 16 years with the USAMTU and would like to help but I'm on the left cost . good luck.
Old January 15, 2006, 09:44 PM   #3
tarheellefty

There are highpower matches at piedmont handgunnera association (PHA , phashoots.com ) ;range is off exit 85 of I-85 . Great guys- they helped me get started. 2nd is northstate shooting club at butner. Best matches in the state; they shoot clear out to 1000 yds. google it, then make a match. tell them you're starting ; they'll get you w/ someone good. 3rd choice is e-mail me in april ; I'll try to help (full schedule til then) . HTH
Old January 24, 2006, 09:19 PM   #4
cabinboy

Highly recommend you check out the Revolutionary War Veterans Association range in Ramseur, NC. Good folks, an NRA Highpower Match first Saturday of each month, and great practical matches almost every month.

Next up -- Stop One in the 2006 RWVA Nationwide Appleseed tour on Feb 25-26:

http://rwva.blogspot.com/2006/01/rwv...seed-tour.html

Forum: http://rwva.org/yabbse

Hope to see you (and the rest of y'all) there!
Old February 11, 2006, 04:14 PM   #5
miconoakisland

Southport, NC

Where do you shoot here?

I belong to "Ye Olde Gun Club and Shooting Range" and if you need someone to learn from, there are many here that may fit the bill.
I am also from the Winston area, but since Grandview Indoor Range closed, I have only heard of one outdoor range in the area, but am unsure of the exact location. (but I can find out)