The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1
dirksterg30

Mossberg 500 shotty options

I am getting a Mossberg 500 for Christmas that I intent to use for home defense & SHTF situations. The sight on this model is a gold bead up front, and the top of the receiver is flattened, and the top of the receiver is drilled & tapped. What I'd like to know is: if you have a HD shotgun, what sights do you have on it? Pictures would be helpful, if you have them. I've been looking at red dot sights, but I don't like the idea of that being my only sight, and if the battery dies or it breaks, I'm out of luck.

Last edited by dirksterg30; December 19, 2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old December 19, 2005, 02:28 PM   #2
flesheatingvirus

I wouldn't bother with a sight if it was only for HD. Unless you live in a gymnasium, it will be in very tight quarters, making it difficult to zero in. Plus a situation where you may have to use it would probably happen so fast that aiming with a sight may be problematic.
Old December 19, 2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Hello123

A shotgun is an under 100 meters weapon. A sight on one negates its advantage of being able to throw it to the shoulder quickly for target acquisition.
Old December 19, 2005, 02:44 PM   #4
springmom

For home defense, it's a 'point and shoot' thing anyway. The whole idea of a shotgun for HD is that you don't HAVE to use sights and be perfect.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 19, 2005, 04:04 PM   #5
ron73644

You still have to aim in the home. Even if you have cylinder bore, you still need to aim in the home. The shot hasn't spread enough yet to matter.
Old December 19, 2005, 05:52 PM   #6
Andrew S

While its not as general direction as some people think it is you still do not need pinpoint accuracy with it in a home defense situation. Shouldering the weapon and looking down the barrel is good enough.

Just make sure you measure common and maximum distances in your home and then pattern your ammo at those distances so you know what to expect in your home.
Old December 19, 2005, 06:04 PM   #7
DragonDog

Dirk, Wallyworld sells a set of replacements to the bead, one of which is for the Mossy 500. It's only 6 bucks. All you have to do is unscrew the gold bead with a pair of pliers, and then screw in the orange or yellow true-glow deal and then you've got a much more effective open "sight".

I bought a Leupold mount for my Mossberg 500 from CDNN, but I've never put it on cause the true-glow sight made it good enough.

Hope this helps.