The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2004, 11:21 PM   #1
hawk44

.260 Remington reloading

just purchased a new Remington 700 mountain rifle LSS chambered in .260 Rem. Outstanding little shooter although being a newer cartridge not many places stock commercial loads for it. Been comparing all the load charts especially for 120-129gr bullets. Does anyone else have a .260 Rem calibre and has already worked up some "pet" loads for it. Getting ready for deer season, mixed areas, some bean fields, mostly brush and creeks. Thanks for any of your suggestions.
Old October 19, 2004, 04:25 PM   #2
P-990

Nice rifle! My favorite pet load is a 125gr Nosler Partition, Hodgdon H4350 (I used starting data for a 120-gr bullet and worked up to get to my load) and a Winchester Small Rifle primer loaded into Remington cases. In my rifle (700 Mountain DM) the OAL comes out to 2.78". Your rifle being different, I would check this measurement to ensure it is safe. (Should be safe, knowing the length of factory throats, but check anyway.) In my rifle this is good for 2900-fps and groups reliably in the 1.5-MOA range for 3-shots to at least 200-yards (haven't had time or need to check at 300; shots around these parts will be 75-yards or less). I choose the Partition because I feel it will hold up at the impact speeds it will be seeing.

Other bullets to try are the 140gr Sierra GameKing, 129gr Hornday Interlock, 120gr Sierra ProHunter and the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. There are undoubtedly others out there, this is just a list off of the top of my head. The 140gr GameKings are excellent accuracy-wise, producing .75 MOA or less for 3-shots at 100 yards. Haven't tried any other powders in this cartridge because H4350 has worked so well for me, but Hodgdon Varget, Alliant RL-15 and Win 760 look like good contenders from what I have seen in other calibers.

Anyway, good luck and good shooting.
Old October 23, 2004, 07:18 PM   #3
hawk44

P-990

A very heartfelt thanks for your reply about reloading for the .260 Rem. I see you are using H4350 in your loads. I had been going over the manuals and had highly considered using IMR-4350, coincidence i guess. Now that Hodgdon has bought out IMR, i guess hopefully they will soon have everything consistent again. Only reason i haven't used the IMR 4350, down here in the south, everyone uses that particular powder and most of the time you can't find any. Really appreaciate the hodgdon tip.

Thanks,

Hawk44

any weapon hits what it is aimed at, only shooters hit what "they" are aiming at
Old October 29, 2004, 11:53 AM   #4
flipout

260 load

I have got a 260 when they frist came out. Most of the reload book had no data for them .I found that a100gr partition nosler works reel good for deer.
Old October 29, 2004, 11:55 AM   #5
flipout

44mag

anyone got powder load data for 180 gr.bullet