The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 1, 2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Machineguntony

How to prevent theft of NFA item at range

Let's stir up some debate and talk...because I love NFA stuff, and because I would like to become educated, as much as possible, before I possess my first NFA item (which might be next week or in three months, who knows).

If you are at a range with an NFA item, and they call the range cold for replacing targets, what do you guys do to protect your NFA item from being stolen? If you read about this online, you hear it happening. How often it happens, I don't know, but I've read about it happening (and for those who would think that it would never happen because its illegal and the ATF would knock down the thief's door, I would remind you that bank robbery is also illegal and the FBI would be all over the robber, but it still happens).

Something like a machine gun would be hard to steal, but a suppressor would be easy to steal because it is so small. Heck, even an MP5A3 or K would be easy to steal because they're relatively compact.

I'll be shooting by myself a lot, since my girlfriend hates guns. So when I'm switching targets, I'll have no one to watch my stuff. Also, this place has no rangemaster. Everyone just agrees to a cease fire and goes to replace targets.

I'm thinking of putting my stuff in a locked pelican case, but the case which will hold my multitude of suppressors is a small pelican. And my MP5 case is tiny, so I'm worried someone will make off with the MP5 and case while my back is turned.

Thoughts, fellas?
Old April 2, 2014, 02:05 AM   #2
Sierra280

How about a cable and padlock, or cable type bike lock around a bench leg through the trigger guards? Just a thought, it would be quick and easy while you are getting ready to change targets, keeping in mind nothing is 'thief proof'
Old April 2, 2014, 04:19 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

You don't have any shooting friends?

When I go shooting at a public range with NFA stuff, I don't go alone. Often we will have some suppressors, SBR/SBS and possibly a machinegun or two. One person ALWAYS stays with the guns unless they are in locked cases in the locked car. Even then, we try to keep the car where we can see it.
Old April 2, 2014, 04:23 PM   #4
velillen

Cable lock would be my solution if I had to go alone. Well cable lock for the pelican.

I usually go with my dad and only one of us goes down range...be it for nfa items or not. No reason for us to both go and leave 2-3k just sitting on the bench. At the pistol range its a bit different since its 7yards or 15 yards away and always crowded. Plus no offense but most guys at the range aren't exactly in shape lol.
Old April 2, 2014, 09:58 PM   #5
leadcounsel

Hands off and slung to back...
Old April 2, 2014, 10:14 PM   #6
colbad

Personally, when I go to the range winch is public outdoor, I have my shooting guns for that day which get cleared etc when range goes cold. I also keep my a carry gun on my hip which is always hot. I will not put myself in a position of vulnerability while checking a target. I generally do not shoot long distances so it is easier for me to keep an eye on my stuff while changing a target. I think a locking Pel Case is a great idea.
Old April 2, 2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Machineguntony

At most ranges, at least the ones I have been to, will not allow a rifle to brought down range or slung to your back if there is a cease fire.

I really have no shooting friends. My girlfriend hates guns. The friends who do enjoy shooting can't afford to shoot the high volume of ammo that I shoot when I go to shooting, so most of the time, they're watching me, after they've finished off their 2-3 boxes, or they'll shoot my ammo. So I prefer to shoot alone.

I'm thinking I am going the cable and lock route during a cease fire.
Old April 3, 2014, 12:47 AM   #8
medalguy

I don't go to public ranges with my NFA stuff. Much easier to go out in the desert, but even then I'm always armed.
Old April 4, 2014, 11:38 AM   #9
BigBoyToyz

I use locked pelican cases. I put a gps tracker in each case.
For high valued items(over 5k), I also put one in the gun or magazine itself.

If you are really paranoid, add a tilt sensor and siren to the case.