The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Reef

Dillon XL 650 and RCBS Dies

Anyone using RCBS dies on a Dillon XL650? I’m trying to adjust a 45 ACP RCBS seating die on my new XL650. The instructions supplied with the Dillon assume the use of Dillon dies, which I’m guessing are different than the RCBS based on the setup instructions of the latter. I will be using the Lee Factory Crimp Die in station 5 so the seating die needs to seat and not crimp. Any help is much appreciated!
Old August 4, 2013, 03:23 PM   #2
thealex

I put Hornady locking rings on the underside or bottom of the toolhead with rcbs dies. Works fine. A
Old August 4, 2013, 03:57 PM   #3
LSU

Thanks.
Old August 5, 2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Reef

Alex, interesting solution to the “short” die issues people have using non-Dillon dies on their presses. My issue however, is not the length of the Die but the directions on its setup. RCBS instructs the user to thread the die down until contact is made on the mouth of the case, and then back out 1 turn. Dillon instructs to thread the Die in to flush with the bottom of the tool head as a starting point. From there adjustments are made to achieve the proper seating depth.

My question is this: Since I just need the die to seat the bullet can I just thread the RCBS die in the tool head enough to allow the seating plug to seat the bullet using the same principal as the Dillon instructions but adjusting the plug instead of the entire die?

LSU,
Old August 5, 2013, 07:22 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

I suggest a LEE seat die in your 650.
Old August 5, 2013, 08:50 AM   #6
wogpotter

Bring the die in to touch the sized case mouth. Back off 1 full turn. Bring seater plug in to required seating depth.
You may need to bottom lock, but thats not important, the relationship between die & seater plug is what is important.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”