The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1
5.56RifleGuy

Boberg Arms XR9-S First Impressions

Hello,
I recently purchased a Boberg Arms XR9-S pistol, and since it isn’t a pistol you come across often, I figured I would take a few minutes to do a preliminary review. I haven’t been out to shoot it yet, but when I do I will post an update.

For those of you that do not know, the XR9-S has quite an interesting way of feeding. Rather than pushing the round out of the magazine and into the chamber, the feeding mechanism pulls the round out of the back of the magazine lifts the round, and then chambers the round. This allows for a longer barrel in a more compact package. Here is a link to a video showing the feeding process:

http://www.bobergarms.com/video/bobe...pending-feed-1

The pistol comes in a nicely foam lined lockable plastic hard case, with 2 magazines, a cable lock, and a very nice manual. The fit and finish of the gun are excellent. There is little to no play in how the slide fits to the rails. The trigger pull is long, smooth, and deliberate, but I feel a good bit better than my double action revolvers. The reset is very loooong. Shortly after the start of the release, there is a click, but you have to let the trigger travel all the way forward before you are good to go again. A neat feature of this pistol is you have the ability to strike a round again with another pull of the trigger if for some reason it fails to go off. Interestingly, the magazines for this pistol have no followers. I guess they were omitted because the design doesn’t need them to function. I have noticed on Boberg Arms website, they have followers available for purchase, but caution that adding a follower makes it more difficult to top off a magazine. This pistol does not feature a slide lock. You can use the takedown lever to accomplish this, but it would be really impractical. Take down is easy and the manual breaks it up into easy to follow steps with good pictures to show what’s going on. The magazine release is easy to activate, and the magazines drop free when the button is hit. The pistol feels good in the hand, and doesn’t feel to slim, like a lot of other sub compact pistols I have held. Racking the slide is quite unforgiving. If you do not sling shot the slide, this pistol will jam. Jams are not easy to clear, and take quite a bit of shaking and prodding to get the round to drop free. I have not put any live ammo in this pistol yet, I have just tested its function with snap caps. Oddly when you dry fire this pistol, it tends to vibrate quite a bit. At first I thought it was the magazine spring, but when I removed the mag and it still vibrated, I figured it was the main spring. I don’t necessarily think there is anything wrong with that, but its pretty odd. I guess we all know of a very popular rifle with a characteristic spring sound.

In summation:

Pro:
- Innovative design from a new firm, not just the same recycled designs seen over and over
- Quality materials and workmanship
- Easy to check for a loaded chamber
- Compact for carry, without sacrificing barrel length

Cons
- Jams are a complete pain in the but to clear, but easily avoidable by racking the slide in the correct manner
- Price - The least expensive model comes in at just under $1000, but it seems to have quality manufacturing to back it up.
-That damn spring sound, just don’t care for it

I will make sure to update when I get to shoot this darn thing.

Thanks for reading.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

P1010170.JPG

P1010169.JPG
Old November 20, 2012, 02:44 AM   #3
Theohazard

DLiller: thanks for the info on the Boberg. I look forward to hearing more after you get some range time with it.

I've had a chance to play with a Boberg once. The design intrigues me, but I'm a little worried about possible ammo sensitivity. I know the designer used measures such as the rotating barrel to slow down initial slide movement, but the round is still being stripped from the magazine by the case rim at the fasted point in the slide's movement: the beginning. I worry that would cause the gun to be overly sensitive to ammo pressure; too high and the feed arm either pops off the case rim or breaks the rim altogether, too low and the slide isn't moving fast enough to both strip the round from the mag and still reach the full rearward position. It just seems to me that the advantage of a slightly longer barrel in a slightly smaller package isn't worth a delicate cartridge feeding process.

But I haven't shot one or talked to anyone who has, so I could be completely wrong. I'll be interested to hear what you and others have to say about it after it's been tested more. It would be great if this design actually worked well in a compact handgun; truly revolutionary designs don't come around very often in this business.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Sparks1957

Thanks, DLiller. I look forward to hearing your first range report. I have a keen interest in this gun.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:22 AM   #5
Master Blaster 2

Congrats...Great to see some one else in the Boberg Club. Got mine a few weeks ago thru GB - NIB. Mine is an older production sr # 4XX where they are now above 700. Beautifully made new unique pistol with Rolex percision quality. Kinda mirrors function of the massive old Mars pistol.
On the bad side I had to send mine back because the trigger bar spring broke. They were going to do a whole bunch of upgrades to.
The Boberg has fantastic customer service.
A lot of people will talk them down because a PF9 Keltec is cheaper. They are experts because they read it on the internet.
They are right and so is a Hi-Point.
However the 9MM Bobers is the size of a tiny Rohrbough. But the Boberg shoots +P has a longer barrel and holds more rounds. TO Top it all the Boberd cost less than the Rohrbaugh, Kimber Solo, or Springfield EMP.
Not for everyone.
P.S.
DLiller when you pull the slide back pull it all the way back sharply and then let it go. Use recommened ammo on website.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Rembrandt

I've had mine for about six weeks, impressive workmanship. Engineering,fit,and finish are superb. In the 800 range for serial number. Works flawlessly using factory recomended ammo.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:16 AM   #7
saltydog452

Request for carry feedback.

For those that actually carry this XR-9S, how do you get this done?

It'd seem that, with the abbreviated bull-pup length, there isn't much 'purchase' room for any holster carry. If so, pocket carry is, pretty much, the only remaining alternative. This model would be a good place for a holster reterntion device of some sort.

What have you experienced with your carry Boberg?

Thanks,

salty
Old November 20, 2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Works flawlessly using factory recomended ammo.
That's actually pretty good to hear. So how limited is the the selected ammo? Do they recommend only certain brands or just certain bullet weights and pressures?
Old November 20, 2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Master Blaster 2

I Got my outside the belt holster for my Boberg from www.elitesurvival.com
Size 2 Elite Deep Cover Ultra. I use one on my COP derringer too.
Adjustable snap to fit a lot of guns well.

If you go onto Boberg Web site there is a section to compatable rounds...quite a lot accually. Mostly has to do how well crimped the bullet is to the case.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:12 PM   #10
5.56RifleGuy

The issues seem to be mostly about bullet crimp. If a cartridge does not have sufficient crimp, the bullet will unseat itself during feeding. You don't see this problem as much in traditional designs because they are pushing the round forward into the chamber, so the bullet is unlike to fall out. Since the XR9 pulls the round backward, a good crimp is pretty important.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:14 PM   #11
5.56RifleGuy

http://www.bobergarms.com/forum/topi...ble-ammunition

Here is a link to the list. WWB is on there, so that is a good one for practice.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:31 PM   #12
saltydog452

Please

sd.

Last edited by saltydog452; November 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Delete
Old November 20, 2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Theohazard

Interesting. I would have though high-pressure ammo ripping off the case rim would be a problem, but of course bullet crimp makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. This design is really intriguing to me; I think I want one.

Darn you, DLiller! Now I have to add yet another firearm to my ever-expanding "want list"!
Old November 20, 2012, 05:23 PM   #14
5.56RifleGuy

Just got back from the range.

Today I was able to shoot about 175 rounds through this nice little gun, with few issues at all.

I have to say, for such a small gun, it isn't to bad to shoot. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of felt recoil. It handled about like a Glock 26 in my opinion. Recoil may be a little stiffer. It felt a hell of a lot better than the PF9 that I shot.

Accuracy was excellent with this little gun. I had a far more experienced shooter try it out and with his first 7 shots at seven, he got about 1 1/2 inch group. Three or four of those shots were touching. The first two practically went through the same hole.

I, however, am not that good of a shot, but the handgun grouped easily in the 2 to 3 inch range. It was my intent to get a picture towards the end, but I found that I was shaking pretty badly after the first 150 shots, and it wouldn't have been worth posting. Next time I will take some pictures at the beginning.

The ammo I shot was as follows:

100 rounds Winchester White Box 115g from Walmart
50 rounds of Remington UMC 115g
25 rounds of 147g Remington golden saber

The WWB worked great. Everyone went bang on the first shot. The pistol fed very reliably. The only issue I had was I had the mag pop out about 5 shots into a magazine, but I am 99.9% sure I had hit the magazine release button by accident. On one of the last few magazines I had the gun run through the first five rounds and then failed to feed. When I pulled the mag out of the gun, I saw that the 2 remaining rounds seemed to have bound up in the magazine. A stiff tap on the bench sent them back into place and they ran through the gun with ease. This did not happen again.

The UMC ammo worked fine. About the same as the WWB.

With the Golden Saber ammo, I had one failure to feed out of 25. It was easily remedied by pulling the slide back and letting it go. The round went into the chamber and fired, along with the rest of the magazine. I want to get some other types of defense ammo and try them with this pistol, before I make it a carry gun.

Overall I am very happy with the performance of this pistol. It is pleasurable to shoot (at least for a 100 rounds or so) and very accurate. The trigger break is nice and predictable, and the trigger pull smooth. I tested both magazines, and both worked as advertised.

I will update again and get some pictures next time I take it out, however, I don't think there will be any surprises.

Thanks!
Old November 20, 2012, 05:25 PM   #15
5.56RifleGuy

By the way, I got stopped by 3 or 4 different people asking me about the pistol. Most said they had not seen or heard of it before. I let two shoot it. Both remarking it had a nice trigger, and was accurate.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Rembrandt

DLiller, I've been using Federal 147 grain Personal Defense Hydra-Shok and couldn't be happier. Found it to be surprisingly accurate as well. One time I had a failure to feed the first round, which turned out to be my fault for not pulling the slide completely back.

I've got a lot of handguns, but nothing has gotten me as excited over a new gun as the Boberg.

Old November 20, 2012, 07:16 PM   #17
5.56RifleGuy

How does that pocket holster work for you? I want to get something wallet shaped for back pocket carry, but the lead time on those is 6 to 8 weeks.

Ill have to hunt down some of those hydra shocks.

I have to say, I was surprised how easy this pistol was to shoot. Im very impressed with the quality of this pistol. I don't think you see this kind of fit and finish on other pistols at this price point. I believe it gets into the quality fitting you see on custom 1911s costing 3 times as much.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:57 PM   #18
Rembrandt

Jury is still out on the pocket holster and belt holster, both are inexpensive Uncle Mikes and will do for the time being. I'd like to find something a little nicer, sure in time there will be a better selection.

Been using the pocket holster to house it in the truck....which works great. Haven't tried as a back pocket carry yet.

I agree with you that the Boberg quality is right up there with higher end guns.

Last edited by Rembrandt; November 20, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:26 PM   #19
DAdams

Boberg

I have two Mid 500 series Platinums. Really nice fit and finish. Great customer service.
I have 50 trouble free rounds through one. One (NIB) could be yours for Xmas. Recoil is similar to a Kahr PM9 but with not as much muzzle rise.
I bought a Remora IWB with partial sweat shield. Carries comfortably with a great deal of adjustability. Downside is reholstering. Takes some work.
I'll post some pictures.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:50 AM   #20
DAdams

Two Platinum Bobergs

Remora IWB, partial sweat shield with magazine holder.

The ammunition I put through the Boberg and PM9. Since they are similar in size and weight the energy expended/recoil is about the same with a slightly different feel (less muzzle rise) with the Boberg. I like both triggers, but the Boberg has a full forward reset.

J Frame 642 with CT 305 grips

PM9 With CT and Pearce extension
Boberg
Seecamp .380

Last edited by DAdams; November 22, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:09 PM   #21
5.56RifleGuy

How is the recoil on that seecamp in comparison to the Boberg?
Old November 23, 2012, 04:23 PM   #22
DAdams

The Boberg is much more comfortable to shoot than the Seecamp.
The Seecamp is the poster pistol for shot little carry often. Out of all the handguns I have either semi or revolver the Seecamp .380 is the most uncomfortable to shoot. It has a tendency to beat up your trigger finger with recoil slap. It is not unmanageable. The size and weight difference is substantial.
I hear the .32 isn't nearly as punishing .... But then it's a .32.
Old November 24, 2012, 01:09 AM   #23
Sevens

For interested Boberg fans...
I've got a friend that makes holsters and he picked up a Boberg mold and makes holsters for this interesting, unique pistol. Given that these are a bit "off the beaten path", you might have some trouble finding exactly what you are looking for in a holster.

http://www.zlogonje.com/blog1.php

Check out Zlogonje Gun Leather and see if Dan can't make something for your pistol. Some guns are a wee bit tougher than others, I'd think this one is a little harder to find leather for than a Glock 19.
Old November 24, 2012, 08:03 PM   #24
Rembrandt

Thanks Seven, looks like some quality holsters for sure......can't figure out how to pronounce his name though.
Old November 24, 2012, 08:57 PM   #25
Sevens

It's not his name, he's got some normal, average name, IIRC. It means "something", I don't recall what. I gave him grief when he named his business -- we all do, so make sure you do the same if you should happen to order from him, he's got it coming! But he can tell you the origin or backstory of it.

I think he is the only one that can pronounce it.