The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 3, 2010, 10:47 AM   #26
SCJeffro

I think some of the posters are missing the point... this is not a thread about if OC is "OK" or not it is about spending money at a store that is NOT GUN FRIENDLY

Look at it this way, if you are a "Christian" and you find out there is a store that does not allow Christians in the store are you going to continue to shop there, I mean they can't tell your a Christian right?

The point is if they have a policy against something (in this instance GUNS) we believe in, we need to band together and NOT SHOP THERE anymore and let them know why!

It really has nothing to do with if we believe that it is alright to Open Carry or not... Their policy doesn't mention anything about OC it says "NO FIREARMS" that means none, CC or OC, they are Anti Gun... therefor I don't see why "Gun owners" would want to spend their money there and support them...
Old June 3, 2010, 10:57 AM   #27
pgdion

Sorry but I have to admit that while I'm a strong supporter of concealed carry and I don't feel stores should be able to block what the state has said is ok to do, I do not support open carry. There are too many people who are just plain afraid of guns. they have a right to not have them in their face and they have a right to shield their kids from them (I disagree with doing that as I feel every one should at least know how to handle a gun safely). To me open carry is an arrogant in your face sort of thing and it doesn't do well for gaining support for our sport. It just gives ammo to the anti gun people. I have to agree with Sears here, they're in business and the 1 open carry person is likely to drive away many non-carry customers. Concealed they should allow but I can see why they wouldn't want open.
Old June 3, 2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankylove
Quote:
Open carry of a LOADED handgun is legal in Utah - with a permit

I could be wrong, as it has happened before........once. But, last I checked, the only permit to carry a firearm in Utah is the Concealed Firearm Permit.........which allows you to carry a loaded, concealed firearm. And while open carry is legal, the firearm must meet the legal definition of being unloaded.

I will have to double check that now, as I hate it when I stick my foot in my mouth
Among other exemptions, possession of a permit exempts the holder from the provisions UCA 76-10-505prohibiting public carry of a loaded firearm, thus, with a permit, one can legally open carry loaded.
Old June 3, 2010, 12:39 PM   #29
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJeffro
I think some of the posters are missing the point... this is not a thread about if OC is "OK" or not it is about spending money at a store that is NOT GUN FRIENDLY
Get with the program! Every thread that mentions open carry, no matter how miniscule the mention is, MUST cause those who oppose open carry to express their opinions. It's a fact that has never failed to happen. And I just can't resist the bait to respond, that's never failed to happen either!

It's like mentioning the word gun anywhere near the Brady Bunch.
Old June 3, 2010, 05:40 PM   #30
SCJeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy LT
Get with the program! Every thread that mentions open carry, no matter how miniscule the mention is, MUST cause those who oppose open carry to express their opinions. It's a fact that has never failed to happen. And I just can't resist the bait to respond, that's never failed to happen either!

It's like mentioning the word gun anywhere near the Brady Bunch.
I could understand this as when you say GUN in the Brady forums we know they are anti gun... I guess I just blindly expected a forum stating it is "The Leading forum for firearms enthusiasts" to be a little more 2nd Amendment friendly... Unfortunately, it has become painfully clear to me recently that many gun owners could really care less about the 2nd Amendment!

My support is fully behind the ENTIRE second amendment, including the "Shall Not Be Infringed" part... Oh well if we are ever to lose our rights to Keep and Bear Arms I for one will be able to stand tall and KNOW full well that I did everything I could to support the FULL amendment while it was still around! Many gun owners will not be able to say the same.
Old June 3, 2010, 05:45 PM   #31
Glenn E. Meyer

We are starting to bicker - not that useful.

Contact Sears if you wish. If someone has useful new info from them, let one of the staff know and we can open for that.

Otherwise, debating OC again and having folks curse each other - bah.

Glenn