The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Cimarron Lawman

Casting flaw (groove) in Stainless Triggerguard

How do I fix this, short of having it welded? Should I use emery paper or sand paper to even out the surface? The flaw is near an edge, and I'm worried about ruining the contour and symmetry.
Old August 1, 2008, 12:39 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Picture? What kind of gun and what kind of trigger guard? Is the guard part of the gun or a removable part? Is the gun new from the factory or is the guard a replacement? Is the flaw something that is very obvious or something noticeable only if you know it's there?

Jim
Old August 1, 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Cimarron Lawman

Unfortunately, I do not own a camera.

It's a Ruger stainless Vaquero. The triggerguard is original. The flaw isn't very obvious unless you look directly at the triggerguard. I would say the flaw (groove) is a millimeter deep, maybe a hair less. On a blued gun it wouldn't be an issue, but it stands out on a polished stainless gun 'cause light reflects off it. This gun is a wall hanger and so I'd like to clean this up a bit.
Old August 1, 2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

void in casting

Sir;
Maybe a bit off the subject but years ago in one of the early Mod. 77s I found one, new from the factory that had tremendous voids where the steel had not filled the wax casting method. They were along the left side of the action where it wouldn't matter (?) but it certainly would have to me!
Ruger will be glad to replace it, I'm sure without charge.
Harry B.
Old August 1, 2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Walther22lr

You could order a new grip frame from Ruger. They are about $112 last time I checked. From what I understand, it would need to be fitted to your frame so there would be a bit of filing and then polishing to get it to blend.
A millimeter is pretty deep. So I don't think I'd just grind it down. I do agree with you about the symmetry being compromised.
As for the welding........ well I don't know about that.
Old August 1, 2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Cimarron Lawman

I looked at my metric ruler and determined that the flaw is only half a millimeter deep. If I decide to sand it down, should I use emery paper or regular sandpaper? And should I apply oil or water to the paper?