The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 14, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1
brymax

Issues with my Savage 775A shotgun

I just purchased a Savage 775A semiauto shotgun at a show, but have run into a problem with it. The magazine will only allow me to load one round into it. I've cleaned out the magazine and lubed everything up, but still have the same problem. As a matter of fact, I took out the spring and plug thinking this may be the source of the problem, but it still will only allow me to load one shell.

There's precious little info on this gun online, but I think I recall reading about it being somewhat finicky with ammo. The rounds I was testing the weapon with were Winchester 00Buck, light and regular load ammo. It fired both without a hitch and ejected them cleanly loading the one round from the chamber flawlessly. It even did so alternating the two types of ammo.

But dang it all, I just can't get more than one round in the mag!!! Thanking y'all in advance for any help you can provide me to solve this problem.
Old July 15, 2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Scorch

Sounds like a bent or crimped magazine tube.
Old July 15, 2008, 12:09 AM   #3
brymax

Bent tube?

No, I don't think it's bent. It looks pretty straight and doesn't have any dings or nicks in it. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty amazed in the overall condition of the gun. It's in good shape with only the bluing on the receiver showing wear and a small crack along the right side on the foregrip.

As to the mag being bent, the spring slides up and down it with no visible hinderance or rubbing, so I'm thinking it's pretty straight.

Last edited by brymax; July 15, 2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old July 23, 2008, 10:28 PM   #4
brymax

Problem Solved!

Got the disassembly instructions, and found my problem. The magazine is drilled to accept a small locking screw on the receiver. The tip of the screw had broken off, but remained lodged in place in the magazine tube.

I took apart the magazine, removed the offending screw tip, cleaned everything out and reassembled.

Fires like a champ now!