The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 3, 2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Rachen

THR down?

Hey guys, some of you should know me from THR. Whats going on by the way over there? My browser said "database error". Anybody else trying to log on to THR?
Old March 3, 2008, 10:25 AM   #2
trailgator

I just got the same error message.
Old March 3, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
foghornl

THR is down right now while being migrated to a new datacenter/server.

According to the display I got, should be running by 6:00PM EST tonight.
Old March 3, 2008, 10:27 AM   #4
fiVe

Moving to new servers. --- Ooops. Sorry I posted old info.

Last edited by fiVe; March 3, 2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Too slow on the "post" button
Old March 3, 2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Rachen

Thanks guys. I was wondering about the same thing. A lot of things around my area seems to be down today.

First, I heard on the news that LIRR was "down". Massive delays eastbound and westbound.
Then I got on the subway to go to class, and guess what? Train stopped at 4th Avenue and was held there for 20 minutes. "G Train with mechanical problem just ahead, please be patient".
Then went on the computer. Armed Polite Society was down. Then THR was down.

Kind of reminds me about that old joke about the guy who woke up in the morning and first his wardrobe handle broke, then his teacup handle broke, then his suitcase handle broke. Now he's afraid to go to the bathroom. Get it? Anybody heard that one
Old March 3, 2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Don H

Latest news:
Quote:
We're Moving
We've got a new server in a new datacenter, and I'm currently pushing THR and APS content to the new server.

This is usually something that works in the background, but since THR is so tied to its database (and the database is so large) I'm shutting off the board to prevent problems.

This whole process can take 24-36 hours to complete, and was initiated around 4pm EST on Sunday. Sorry for the inconvenience, but the advantages of the new datacenter and new server make the effort worthwhile.

Edit: My software just let me know when everyone should be pointed to the new server: 03/03/2008 17:54:32

I still need to move the database over which might be a headache, but I don't see any reason why the board won't be back up before 6pm EST on Monday.

UPDATE: We're at that point where all the web data has been transferred and most of our userbase is probably looking at the new server rather than the old one. I can't bring across the database until my data center makes some changes to their routing tables though, so it'll be a while yet.

Thanks for your patience.
Old March 3, 2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Derek Zeanah

Should be back up. We won't know that everyone's seeing the new server for another hour or so (dns propagation takes a while), but if you happen to hit the old server I've got it pointed to the new database. There's the possibility we'll lose an attachment or two, but that seems minimal.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks again to TFL staff for letting me post updates here.

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."
--Thomas Jefferson