The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2006, 03:24 PM   #1
revinkevin

stock keeps bumping my jaw bone :(

i went shooting skeet today for the first time with my winchester 1300 black shadow. very fun i might add! but.... seems like when im shooting the stock gives be a bit of a punch in the jaw bone / cheek where it rests on the stock, and i actually got a few srapes on the side of my face from it. am i doing something wrong? after shooting 75 rounds today it feels like someone socked my in the face lol.
Old July 10, 2006, 04:31 PM   #2
Metaloy Industries

Find somemone that is knowlegeable about skeet shooting. They can help you to mount the shotgun correctly. Some think you can just go out with a shotgun and shoot targets. Most can, some cannot with out alittle help. Length of pull and/or drop my need to be fit to you. Good luck.

www.originalmetaloy.com
The 'Original' Hard Chrome finish
TactiKote finish
Visit the Metaloy Blog http://metaloyindustries.typepad.com/
Old July 10, 2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Death from Afar

Either the gun fits you really badly, or you are mounting ( *giggle*) the gun incorrectly. Borrow another gun and let fly a few. If you are still getting kicked, then it is you. Whatever you do, dont do much more shooting until you get this solved- you will get a flinch that will ruin your shootin'.
Old July 10, 2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Ruger4570

Without seeing you actually standing there and shooting it is pretty hard to determine if you are simply holding the gun wrong or it really fits you REAL bad. Most shotguns will fit the "average" shooter (whatever the average shoooter is) pretty well. If you are very tall, very short, long necked, short necked etc, etc a properly fitted stock is essential. Again without seeing you it sounds like you may have it too low on your shoulder and your cheek hard on it whick can be brutal. See if you can find a knowledgable shooter to advise you. Good luck and don't give up yet
Old July 10, 2006, 08:38 PM   #5
revinkevin

i am a tall shooter 6'4" are there ways of modifying the shotgun i have with a different stock? or am i screwed? the problem is i dont really know anyone that is into shooting. so thats gonna be kinda hard. but thanks for the advise. hopefully next time im at the range i can ask someone for some help.
Old July 11, 2006, 01:50 AM   #6
FMUStewart

I used to have that problem too...

Try holding your head vertical. You do not want to lean your head over the stock to get a sight picture. You will probably have to bring the gun higher on your shoulder (I shoot with the bottom of the stock in my shoulder rather than having it nestled in down low near your armpit).

Head vertical will allow the gun to ride your face when it flips up, and won't hit you like it will with your cheek over the fun.

Stew
Old July 11, 2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Hard to diagnose the prob but here's a couple things to consider.

First, get some Winchester ultralight 7/8 oz loads or similar. Plenty of moxie for skeet, less kick.

Second, find a good instructor and learn the right mount, stance and swing.

Third, try altering the stock. There should be enough room for a couple fingers between nose and thumb but not lots more. Add a little length and see what happens.

HTH.....
Old July 11, 2006, 09:08 AM   #8
Eghad

Sounds like the comb of the stock may be to high, this makes you scrunch down to get to the sights which results in the cheek gettin smacked. Might want to go to a shotgun match in your area and ask about a gunsmith who does good stock work. Probably just needs to take a little of the comb/top of the stock. When you make your cheek weld you should be able to just rest the side of your cheek on the rifle/shotgun without having to scrunch down to see the sights.

NRA Life Member
Old July 11, 2006, 10:55 AM   #9
9mmMike

I started shooting a '55 WM last Summer and was bruising my face at every outing. After messing with LOP for a while, I finally found that the comb was actually too high and I was pressing my cheekbone into the stock. It was especially bad on the high shots.
I did not have this trouble with my rifle-sighted barrels as the sights are higher but with the single bead, I was really bringing the gun too high (or my face too low) in order to align the bead to my eye.
I made a shim for the stock that inserts at the wrist, at the top of the receiver and this dropped the comb maybe 3/4" (guesstimate). This made all the difference in the world and I can shoot this gun all day with no pain.
Bottom line. Make sure the gun fits you. (after you make sure your form is OK.)
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old July 11, 2006, 12:45 PM   #10
Dirty_Harry

I had a similar experience with my 870 tactical magnum. I was at the range putting some smoothbore slugs through it, and everytime I would shoot, it would nail me in the on the bone right below my eye....does anyone have a similar experience that can help?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 11, 2006, 05:22 PM   #11
Eghad

might want to get some sights for 870 that raise them up off the receiver and front of the barrel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotsights.jpg (4.0 KB, 309 views)

NRA Life Member
Old July 13, 2006, 01:51 PM   #12
Dirty_Harry

Where do I find those sights?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 13, 2006, 01:55 PM   #13
Renfield

sounds like a lightweight synthetic stock could be part of the problem too.. personally I prefer a wood or laminated wood stock

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old July 20, 2006, 02:33 AM   #14
revinkevin

well went to the range the other day, and tried holdign the gun as you guys instructed. and now its nailing me in the cheekbone lol seems to me like the gun isnt fitting well. and i have it up high in my shoulder as in like aninch is only in my shoulder the rest is sticking up to get it up. would i be better off going with putting a wood stock on my 1300 or i was thinking about goign to a knoxx stock and they offer a thicker butt pad to get it soem more length or would this make the problem worse?
Old August 2, 2006, 08:17 AM   #15
skipjack

Kevin, if you are considering a new stock, do yourself a favor and go to a shotgun fitter to have them fit it correctly. It may cost a little more,but you will be much happier and shoot much better in the long run.

What shells are you shooting? I shoot 1 oz, or, sometimes, 7/8 oz of 9 shot. Remington makes a shell in their sts line that is low recoil. I reload, and shoot the softest shells I can load. I shoot a ruger red label o/u, and don't have issues with cycling that the semi guys do.

Good luck and good shooting!
Old August 2, 2006, 10:07 AM   #16
Doubletaptap

I believe your are not getting fully fit to the stock and your cheek is not tucked down on the stock as it should be.(That's why they have cheek pieces) I had a 45-70 used to do the same to me until I lowered the scope mounts to where I had to lay my cheek down on the stock. The gun jumps up when you fire and punches you. If your cheek is down on the stock good and solid it won't do that.
If you raise the stock on your shoulder the bottom tip of the buttplate is really gonna hurt when it kicks back into the shoulder.
Possibly you may want to try a slip on cheek piece and see if that takes care of the problem.
I wouldn't recommend raising anything like sights etc,or your head, because the more your cheek is off the stock,the more you're gonna get punched.
It's all about proper fit.
Check some online sources about shooting shotguns(proper fit) and see what you can find.
Also getting punched like that will really throw your aim off because you start flinching in anticipation of the punch.
Good luck!
Old August 2, 2006, 11:17 PM   #17
revinkevin

actually its the compete opposite. when i bring my cheek down on the stock like i should i get nailed. but if i keep it off the stock it goesn nail me. haha i went to the range the other day and shot 100 rounds and didng get whapped once in the cheek because i mentally tried to bring my cheek down and i kinda kept my head towards the back of the stock. im shooting light loads the 100 count box of federals at wallmart, 1oz, 7 1/2 shot.... im going to try to ad length to the stock and see if it helps any.
Old August 3, 2006, 12:12 AM   #18
ElkSlayer6x5

hey revin check your mount. also check to see if length of pull is right for you. Add to length of pull if needed. It should be ok for you.
I am curious on the mount. I too am 6'4" and have shot the same 870
since I was 14. Now in the last 26 years only time I have been smacked,
was when i mounted it wrong for a snap shot at trap or birds.
not saying it has never happend, but not to often.
try adding a cheek pad perhaps.
Old August 3, 2006, 12:48 AM   #19
skeeter1

Find a good smithy

I had similar problems with my trap double. I went to a good smithy (long since retired) and he installed a recoil pad and increased the lentgh-of-pull by 1/2" at the same time. Made a world of difference. The guys at the range were pissed when I shot a 25-straight with my SxS double and beat them with their Berreta, etc. trapguns. It's good to get a gun fitted to YOU!
Old August 3, 2006, 02:55 AM   #20
webbee

The Knoxx SpecOps has an adjustable LOP, cuts recoil, great quality/support and is what I'd went to. I love the way it tames slugs or buck and makes follow-up shots quicker. Makes for a much more usable tool. Plus it looks great. You should be able to adjust the cheek slap out. I have to admit, I'm a Knoxx fan-boy, but honestly...this product is that good.