The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 27, 2005, 07:30 PM   #1
rallyhound

Indooe range VS outdoor practice

I was shooting at an indoor range last week, which I rarely do.
There were 2 LEO next to me shooting also.
I noticed that neither were very good shooters as they were not shooting very tight groups althought they were firing slowly.
I noticed that I was distracted by all the noise of the other shooters.
I usually shoot on land I own and have my own personal range.
As a result I can shoot whatever targets i want at whatever distance and height i want.
I wonder how much better most people would learn to shoot if they better Range oppertunities.
Is indoor practice enough to become a shooter?
Old September 27, 2005, 08:33 PM   #2
marklbucla

I can do things at my outdoor range that I wasn't allowed to do at my old indoor one. Indoor ranges seem to be more for working on basic shooting technique, while outdoor ranges allow for greater flexibility in drills, targets, and ammo selection.
Old September 27, 2005, 08:59 PM   #3
wayneinFL

I think a little distraction helps you learn to concentrate better. Hard to say whether being restricted to an indoor range limits your acquisition of shooting skills. I find it's much more comfortable to shoot outdoors. More than anything, I've noticed people who don't shoot much tend to shoot indoors. Most avid shooters get bored shooting indoors.

Wild speculation here, but I'm thinking these cops aren't shooters, were just trying to practice for qualification, and that's the only time they shoot.
Old September 27, 2005, 09:11 PM   #4
us.armysniper

"Wild speculation here, but I'm thinking these cops aren't shooters, were just trying to practice for qualification, and that's the only time they shoot."

Isn't that crazy there are people in my unit like that. We are an Infantry battalion and the majority of people don't shoot unless they are qualifiying or made to do so in a live fire exercise. That is crazy to me, I can't imagine not shooting in my free time! Especially being a bunch of hopin popin, and shootin and lootin dudes!

I will Never Forget 16 Aug 2004, Sadr city Iraq
Old September 27, 2005, 09:16 PM   #5
Jody Hudson

I like both but prefer outdoors. I went today as a matter of fact for several hours for conversation and helping a new shooter learn a bit and shoot a bit.

When I go to my outside range, which is the 1,000 yard long edge of a field I rent with 19 other folks - I take a couple of folding tables a nice comfortable folding chair and enjoy the fresh air and open expanse!

Indoors is extra nice when it is raining... snowing, I prefer outdoors.
Old September 27, 2005, 09:37 PM   #6
Talon66

IMO, I think it's more important "the way you train" as opposed to where you train. Of course where you train may allow you to do certain things that most indoor ranges don't but by devising "realistic" drills and/or drills that force time constraints and awkward positions, you can get some respectable results. The internet is a great source of "range drills". Get a shooting timer and push yourself to improve. Keep a shooting log and track your progress. You'll be surprised how much you can improve. Of course, taking a shooting course through many of the reputable schools will be highly beneficial!
Old September 27, 2005, 09:42 PM   #7
rgoudy1975

All my life I've lived on enough land to shoot whatever, whenever, but never shot. Now I live on a piece of land that could be measured by a yardstick and I wanna shoot. How cruel. :barf:
Old September 27, 2005, 10:32 PM   #8
wayneinFL

us.armysniper

Quote:
Isn't that crazy there are people in my unit like that. We are an Infantry battalion and the majority of people don't shoot unless they are qualifiying or made to do so in a live fire exercise. That is crazy to me, I can't imagine not shooting in my free time! Especially being a bunch of hopin popin, and shootin and lootin dudes!
Wow. I guess so. It's not like you're sitting around eating doughnuts.

My little brother got out of the Marines this month. I remember early on, once he was talking about how boring infantry training was. My dad said, "If someone was teaching me how not to get my butt shot off, I'd pay attention." Of course, this was before 9/11, so I don't think he was ever expecting to use any of that training.
Old September 28, 2005, 09:34 AM   #9
CabinJohn

It will be Indoors this year

I too shoot on my own land (150+ yard range), and have not been to an indoor range for many years, but this year is going to be different. I love to shoot, but once the daytime high temperature gets below about 35 F, my hands get numb and wearing gloves while trying to load a .45 magazine is an exercise in futility.
I found an indoor range that has six month memberships. While it is almost 60 miles away and I probably won’t go there more than once every two or three weeks, I am looking forward to being able to shoot through the winter this year.
Old September 28, 2005, 10:47 AM   #10
westphoenix

I like shooting outdoors, but sometimes its just too damn hot.
Indoor range is nice to get your fix in less time.
Going out to the desert to shoot takes hours.
I can drive,10-15 minutes, to the indoor range and shoot for
an hour. Its good for during the week when I dont have time
to go out shooting. Because I dont have to walk to the targets
I can get more shots in. Shooting outdoors is much more fun
though. Hopefully one day I will own enough land so I can shoot
in my back yard. Its fun to setup targets around bushes, trees,
dirt piles, etc. and have our own course.
Old September 28, 2005, 11:28 AM   #11
PaulBk

I rather enjoy the 'distraction' of other shooters at the indoor range. When the air marshals practice, it is hoot. Twenty agents rapid firing simultaneously is always exciting.

-PB
Old September 28, 2005, 06:51 PM   #12
Dust_Devil

Quote:
was shooting at an indoor range last week, which I rarely do.
I noticed that neither were very good shooters as they were not shooting very tight groups althought they were firing slowly.
I noticed that I was distracted by all the noise of the other shooters.
I usually shoot on land I own and have my own personal range.
As a result I can shoot whatever targets i want at whatever distance and height i want.
I wonder how much better most people would learn to shoot if they better Range oppertunities.
Is indoor practice enough to become a shooter
I used to think that there were so many bad shooters including LEOs, on the range, until I was practicing different shooting techniques.
If you can see clearly that these "poor shooters" were shooting well aimed ,slow fired shots, two handed, then you can assume they should be able to shoot well.
But try shooting weak handed, one handed, aiming without using sights,aiming weak eyed, quick draws, and so on and you will see that it isn't that easy at first to get good results even at close distances.

Being distracted by other shooters is probably one of the better things because it teaches you to shoot in a more chaotic environment like if you got into a shootout.
Maybe not the best thing if you are practicing for a nice, quiet, slow firing competition for the Olympics, but great for self-defense.

Outdoor ranges are of course better because they can be set up more than just straight paper target shooting where you can shoot at moving targets, different angles and around set up obtacles.

But if you are just shooting straight at a paper target, I don't think it really matters if you are indoor or outdoor as long as you are comfortable where you are at.
Old October 16, 2005, 08:46 PM   #13
k9lwt

Nice of you to throw the jab to law enforcement in there. You forgot to mention that they were eating doughnuts and drinking coffee between rounds. I don't recall you listing the occupation of everyone else on the line or what kind of groups they were putting up. They may not be the best shot on the department, but it sounds like they were working on getting better.

In case you didn't know-there's more to law enforcement than shooting. I am a cop that shoots well and shoots often. I do many other aspects of the job well, such as dealing with people that don't appreciate EVERYTHING involved in the job. Don't worry, we're used to it...
Old October 16, 2005, 08:47 PM   #14
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

I've seen some LEO's at ranges not hitting their targets, but I personally know some LEOs too that are worlds better than I'll ever be at accurately shooting and handling just about any firearm they pick up.
Old October 16, 2005, 10:36 PM   #15
noone

rally, first off depending where you are from, le personnel may never fire their weapon on the job for their whole career.(not saying this is not an important skill for them). so they may(notice the may) feel that other aspects of their jobs are more important, say people skills or whatever.
as for what range type, I personnaly use different ranges when possible. like an above poster said the way you train is the most important thing. it should not be about what u like, but what will make you a better shooter.
If you have your firearm for HD, do think someone will break in, announce their, presence, wait for you to grab you weapon, then stand belt buckle to belt buckle with you?
I find indoor ranges fully lit with no other people in them to be a bad training enviroment. I always try to go when other people will be there firing while I am, but with enough space to stay a couple lanes away. this way i shoot while there is alot of noise. I also dont shoot at human targets, but at certain points that i draw on a paper plate. I fell that this helps improve accuraccy, as im trying to hit points not a number on on a fake chest(most bad guys dont draw these on themselves before entering your home). Also my indoor range has adjustable lighting and I always adjust so its different for a couple of mags.
Also i drive awhile away sometimes to go to some outdoor ranges, and some different indoor ranges so that i dont come to comfortable with something.
then throw in some off hand shooting, and some one hand shooting(both hands) and try to switch up some stuff will hopefully help you a better shooter.
hope some of this helps.