The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2005, 08:31 PM   #1
FDzerzhinsky

Help the n00b with his grip

Okay, to start it off, I'm a whopping fifteen years old whose parents aren't exactly gun friendly, so at the moment I know a whole lot of nothing.

For my birthday present to myself (once I get enough money, that is), I was thinking of buying either a (note: Both semiauto, as I'm sure all of you know) Binelli Nova or a Remmington 870 -- 12 or 20 gauge, not sure which yet. So, I have a few questions:

A) Are either of these decent starter shotguns?

B) Would a pistol grip help accuracy and control?

C) Synthetic stock or not?

And, pertaining to the Remmington 870:

I get a nice little catalog known as "Cheaper Than Dirt." In it, a long with a whole bunch of other stuff, are shotgun accessories/upgrades that you can buy for certain guns -- the Rem 870 happens to be one of them. I was thinking, that A) Should I get enough money and B) I get the 870 that I was going to buy the pistol grip/solid synthetic stock with the shell holders. (There's also a bunch of other things that I can't remember right now, but one does stand out. THe pistol-like grip for the pump. It looked awkward, and if anyone has two cents they'll give, I'd like to hear it.)

So, I just wanted to get a few opinions from people that actually know something.

God Bless,

--FDzerzhinsky
After the chaos and carnage of September 11th, it is not enough to serve our enemies with legal papers. -- President George W. Bush
Old September 21, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
psycho nut

Quote:
I'm a whopping fifteen years
I'm 15 on November 1st, nice to meet you.

I like the 870, it was my first shotgun. I would recomend it.
Old September 21, 2005, 10:05 PM   #3
270Win

870!

I really recommend the 870. It was recommended to me very recently (on this board!) as an excellent first, middle and last shotgun. And it is. I picked up an 870 Wingmaster, and really recommend one to you.

I saw a Benelli Nova at the same gun show as the Wingmaster, and an Ithaca Model 37, and a few other tempting items...but the 870 had the most solid feel, the best action, and of course the reputation. As a longtime rifle shooter, I appreciated the little things that made the 870 what it is - fit and finish, durability, ease of use, overall quality.

So that's my vote.
Old September 22, 2005, 04:01 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome aboard. A couple things...

While the Nova is an OK shotgun, the 870 is the standard by which all pump guns are judged.

And yes, these are pumps, not semi autos.

Skip the PG equipped full stock, the vertical foregrip etc.

Spend your money on ammo and lessons with a qualified instructor. The addons and mods are for later, if ever.

HTH....
Old September 22, 2005, 05:13 AM   #5
ShottyTim

FD, consider yourself lucky that Dave MCC posted on this, he is considered godly on this forum atleast in my eyes he is, and yes go with the rem 870, that was my first gun as well, un fortunately i had to wait till my 18th which was a few months ago, and dont waste money on mods just yet, just like dave said ammo and practice, or as some say it the software is more important than the hardware right dave. If you want a tactical look, go with the remington 870 HD its all black with a synthetic stock and an 18 barrel, the legal limit.

Hope you make the "right" decision.

Tim

meaning come and get them
Old September 22, 2005, 07:51 AM   #6
exoduster16

Yeah definitley go with the 870. I have one and I also have an 11-87 from remington to and they both are very good guns. I wouldn't want anything else!
Remington Model 11-87 12 guage
Remington Model 870 Express 12 Gauge w/18.5 in. barrel
And plenty of ammo for all of them
Old September 23, 2005, 10:40 PM   #7
FDzerzhinsky

First off, thanks, Dave McC, for correcting my blatant screwup in mixing pump and semiauto.

And it seems everyone agrees on the Rem 870, so I guess I'll have to write that down. Thanks, everyone, for all of your help.

And Dave McC, I find the pistol grip is a tad more comfortable than the regular rifle grip, but I wanted everyone's opinion on it, first. Thanks.

God Bless,

FDzerzhinsky
After the chaos and carnage of September 11th, it is not enough to serve our enemies with legal papers. -- President George W. Bush
Old September 23, 2005, 11:19 PM   #8
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Hey... 17 here.

My one tip... If the shotgun you pick doesn't have a recoil pad, buy one. They're worth it, especially on shorter shotguns.

Wolfe... (Who's glad to see he's not the only young'n on here...)

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old September 24, 2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

FD,You're very welcome. That may change once you shoot a bit. Darn few folks I know find the PG style of stock more comfortable with full house loads. But, if it works for you....
Old September 24, 2005, 01:09 PM   #10
AAshooter

FD, go with the 870. If you want to go a little nicer, go with a Wingmaster instead of the express. Get one with a 28 inch barrel. This will be an extremely flexible gun. You can hunt with it, shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays.

Skip the integrated pistol grip, short barrel and tactical stuff until you want a specialized tactical gun. Buy a standard 870 and learn shoot well. Worry less about the tricky add-ons and more about your skills.

If possible, get involve in NSSF's scholastic clays program at your local gun club or something similar. Here is there link: http://www.nssf.org/sctp/

Be the guy that digs out his old battered 870 out of his pick up and outshoots everyone out there.

There are a lot of used 870s out there. They have been sold forever and sell a lot of them annual. Shop around and you can probably pick up a used one for a good price.
Old September 24, 2005, 10:54 PM   #11
FDzerzhinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McC
FD,You're very welcome. That may change once you shoot a bit. Darn few folks I know find the PG style of stock more comfortable with full house loads. But, if it works for you....
Well, I'll take your word for it and skip the PG...as it's the cheaper route.

And AAshooter, I'll take your advice about the WingMaster, 28'' thing, thanks.

And I know the local Cabelas sells them new for just under three hundred (Along with a few other things I want just for their show value and for when I get bored, such as their AntiMaterial .50 Barret and their WWII collection of a Garand, M1 Carbine, Thompson, and two M911A1 pistols , but that's 3000 and 7500, respectively. )

Anyways....