The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 21, 2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Double Naught Spy

Level 1 Cleared...

Having invoked guidance from Black Bird of Angry Birds, attempted to clear Level 1 at my place, again. Ken was in one stand watching the feeder. I was in another nearby watching a trail. The hogs happen to cross my narrow field of view. I dropped the first hog with a shot entering just below the ear and exiting the neck. Four other hogs were present and took off and another two previously unseen hogs ran past their downed buddy as well.

A half our later, we could still hear hog noises in the woods and a bigger hog walked into my field of view, hackles raised, approaching the downed hog with a bouncing diagonal gait that was rather odd. Shot him in almost the same place and had almost the exact same result.

No more hog activity and so it looks like Level 1 was cleared.

Hog #1 was 140 lbs, young male
Hog #2 was 205 lbs, young male

Shot with Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr. ammo from a Marlin 1895. Shot distance was 25-30 yards using a Pulsar N550 Digiscope NV optic.

As these hogs were part of at least one sounder that had approximate 20 individuals (identified by uniquely patterned individuals in the group that have shown up on the game cameras), we hope to clear more levels soon, but these guys have been very evasive in that they have kept a very irregular schedule. This was about my 15th trip and Ken's third since December to encounter this group.

Black Bird was pleased, but I may need more birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1269.JPG (134.0 KB, 61 views)
Old February 21, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2
redneck

Do the NV scopes not have any eye relief? Hows that work on a heavy rifle, is the eye piece soft?
Nice hogs, looks like a lot of fun
Old February 21, 2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

On the Pulsar, the eye relief is about 2" of which the eye cup is basically 2" of crenulated rubber. It is a bit stiff to be able to retain its extended position. So on a heavier recoiling rifle like a .45-70, you get a pretty good push, but it isn't painful. I find that my eye can stay mated with the eye cup and I will still be looking through the scope as the rifle settles out of recoil. I thought that was a sort of neat feature in that I wasn't have to reacquire the scope and then the target. The scope stay acquired because of the eye cup.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
rickyrick

Nice lookin pigs!!

Still no sign of any here....scoured every inch this weekend....nary a track nor root, no poo, no rubs. Should be up to my armpits this time of year.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:56 PM   #5
redneck

Thats interesting. Sounds like it may take some practice, maybe learning to move with the gun a little differently so that your head and neck go with your shoulder a little bit. I've never played with a NV scope, thanks for the info.
Old February 22, 2012, 01:48 AM   #6
farmerboy

Boy them pigs are fun! We have plenty here in Buffalo, Texas. I get after them from time to time. I can walk out my back door about 200 yards and get into them if I want. They are one of my favorite animals to hunt