The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 5, 2009, 09:15 PM   #26
My870inVT

"unloaded guns"

yea unloaded right, i remember once i was shot in the throat with a competition grade air rifle (1270 fps doens't feel good...)

also much scarier i pulled the trigger on a friends nine millimeter after firing nine rounds... turns out it was a 9 +1 clip. thank god i was aiming down range when i checked, but with a limp wrist i dropped the gun. that was the last time I ever failed to check the chamber.

I will say know having learned from my mistakes.... I am definately the first one of the group i shoot with to speak up when there is a safety infraction. I have made some friends very unhappy by telling them that they are done for the day after they sweep the standing area.
Old March 6, 2009, 03:22 AM   #27
Creature

Quote:
To the forum: I have seen too many people get killed with unloaded firearms.
How many specifically?

(I know...just one is too many.)
Old March 6, 2009, 04:10 AM   #28
Huey Long

Quote:
Approaching the firing line without hearing devices. More than a couple of people.
I can understand why you'd be peeved about the others, but what harm does this do you or anyone else?
Old March 6, 2009, 08:08 AM   #29
Creature

Quote:
Approaching the firing line without hearing devices. More than a couple of people.
...venturing into nanny-state territory. I also dont think it should be mandatory by law to wear a seat belt or a motorcycle helmet.
Old March 6, 2009, 12:05 PM   #30
Ian0351

I agree

Ear plugs, helmets, seatbelts and condoms; while responsible, are a personal choice. I personally usually don't wear ear protection when I shoot. I didn't in the service and I don't now, I would rather be used to the report from my weapon. Honestly, I think playing rock shows and shooting 83mm rockets did the majority of the damage to my ears, and I haven't failed a hearing test yet.

Semper Fidelis
Old March 6, 2009, 12:57 PM   #31
oldkim

The ignorance of youth :-)

Yes, to be young and stupid. Too bad we all get old and wiser (and deaf too).

It is your choice to take simple protection - precautions to protect your ears, eyes and the rest of your health. Don't follow in our foot steps in becoming deaf, blind and even worse.

Your young now but believe me if you live any longer you'll get old. When you get old the simple joys in life is all that is left so take a few steps to protect them because you only get one body. Yes, I'm sure by the time your old they may have come up with transplating your brain into a new body but until they do that you only get one - take reasonable care of it.

Mortars? Try an M1 main battle tank. It's a bit louder.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old March 6, 2009, 11:28 PM   #32
Ginger

"Ear plugs, helmets, seatbelts and condoms"

Which one is not like the other ones?

You can't hurt someone else by not wearing your earplugs, helmet, or seatbelt.
Old March 7, 2009, 01:12 AM   #33
Casimer

Quote:
Don't follow in our foot steps in becoming deaf, blind and even worse.
+1

I don't want to be a nag - BUT a common effect of unprotected exposure to gunfire is chronic subjective tinnitus. Subjective Tinnitus is the perception of a constant noise when none exists.

It's often a perceived as ringing sound, or a hissing or roaring noise. Severe cases have been known to motivate people to suicide. It's really not something that you want to deal with.

I'd actually developed this as the result of repeated ear infections as a kid. Fortunately I was young enough that I was able to learn to block it mentally. But if I'm sedated (e.g. drunk, given pain killers, or near sleep) it comes back. And when it does, it's very difficult to think.

So the moral of my story is, just wear ear protection - otherwise you'll go crazy and want to kill yourself
Old March 7, 2009, 04:51 AM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am guilty of a heinous firing line offense and I freely admit this in hopes it helps just one person in my shoes or a "down the line" shooter. No one needs jump me for this as I flogged myself as did the RM. I had a shotgun and a .38 revolver and my son of about 12 or so at the range. RM called a routine cease fire to change targets. I and junior swapped out the targets as did the others on the line and I am awaiting the range to go back hot and in my INCOMPETENCE and joy to finally be out shooting I FAILED to notice junior had reloaded the .38. He wasn't aware of the "EMPTY ALL GUNS, ACTIONS OPEN" rule of the range and likely didn't hear it declared with plugs and muffs on. Clearly a violation but the zone had no one still on the grass when he fired a round on our target but it was not a good thing....
BTW this is the first time I have shared this in public...
Brent
Old March 7, 2009, 12:34 PM   #35
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
You can't hurt someone else by not wearing your earplugs, helmet, or seatbelt.
Actually, I'd just as soon not have my tax dollars paying the lifelong medical expenses of the fools I see riding without helmets, some of whom are going to wind up with severe brain injuries... same can be said of seatbelt use, I think. There are different kinds of "hurt."

Which leaves earplugs... unprotected exposure to gunfire will result in hearing loss. It's just a matter of when, not if... and your family will think it sucks when they can't have a normal conversation with you because you can't follow what they're saying. There are different kinds of "hurt."
Old March 7, 2009, 12:57 PM   #36
Tuzo

Ear and eye protection

Ear and eye protection is related to range safety as much as safe firearm handling. A piece of metal hitting an eyeball while shooting and resultant involuntary reaction can be dangerous to those nearby. What is heard too often is "it's my life," "it's not dangerous," "mind your own business," "never hurt before," "independence," among others. The best is "you have to die sometime" which is undeniably true and a favorite of smokers, but the issue is not when you die but whether you die peacefully or suffer with an injury or lung cancer for a long time prior to death.

A telling example of not wanting to wear eye protection occurred when I taught high school physics. Teenagers, forever concerned with appearance when among peers, were reluctant to wear dorky and clunky safety glasses during lab periods. After a speck of sodium was dropped into a pan of water with a dramatic reaction and spattering of water my students wore safety glasses without complaint.

So, don't wear ear protection and suffer annoying deafness. Don't wear eye protection and risk eye damage or blindness. Be "a man," whatever that may mean to you, and risk your health and the health and safety of those nearby.
Old March 7, 2009, 01:18 PM   #37
Elvishead

Quote:
U.S.SFC_RET

4. Approaching the firing line without hearing devices. More than a couple of people.
Call me out of line, but I always try to keep a full hot loaded .357magmun ready just for these people. I know it's mean, but ha, I live in Vegas, the King of rude.
Old March 7, 2009, 05:22 PM   #38
Ginger

What?
Old March 7, 2009, 07:24 PM   #39
U.S.SFC_RET

I have stopped people from going into "hot" indoor ranges without hearing protection. This happened the very same day all the other safety laws were infracted upon as mentioned in the first posting.
I sincerely don't believe I will be attending that indoor range and will allow my membership to expire. It is not worth the effort.
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old March 8, 2009, 03:15 AM   #40
Ian0351

Quote:
Mortars? Try an M1 main battle tank. It's a bit louder.
Not mortars (those are 81mm) but HEAT rockets... way louder. Not as loud as an M1A1 by a long shot.

FWIW I do wear a seatbelt in my car... but I don't require or mandate said behavior for anyone over 18 who rides in it... your life, your choice.

Are you going to stop in the middle of combat to emplace ear plugs? Do you Stalk an animal in the brush with ear plugs in?

Semper Fidelis
Old March 9, 2009, 01:33 PM   #41
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Are you going to stop in the middle of combat to emplace ear plugs? Do you Stalk an animal in the brush with ear plugs in?
Assuming these are serious rather than rhetorical questions, I believe that combat troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are issued air-valve type earplugs. I'm sure that other members who have BTDT know more about this than I do, and also have opinions about how well they work. The principle, however, is a good one. And plenty of people who hunt use either the air-valve plugs or the electronic muffs which block impulse noise. Some say the latter give them more ability to track game, not less.

If you look at the hearing protection sticky in the General Discussion forum, you'll find a lengthy discussion of these issues.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=200072

And, yeah, as Tuzo noted above, eye protection is just as important, which is why both are mandatory at many ranges.
Old March 9, 2009, 01:46 PM   #42
Huey Long

Quote:
Yes, to be young and stupid. Too bad we all get old and wiser (and deaf too).

It is your choice to take simple protection - precautions to protect your ears, eyes and the rest of your health. Don't follow in our foot steps in becoming deaf, blind and even worse.

Your young now but believe me if you live any longer you'll get old. When you get old the simple joys in life is all that is left so take a few steps to protect them because you only get one body. Yes, I'm sure by the time your old they may have come up with transplating your brain into a new body but until they do that you only get one - take reasonable care of it.
Issues of hearing damage aside, I always wear ear plugs (or at least a couple shells stuck in my ears) simply because the sound of loud gunshots right near me hurts my ears. I always have.

Quote:
Actually, I'd just as soon not have my tax dollars paying the lifelong medical expenses of the fools I see riding without helmets, some of whom are going to wind up with severe brain injuries... same can be said of seatbelt use, I think. There are different kinds of "hurt."
Those "fools" pay taxes just like you and some of them probably aren't too happy with some of your lifestyle choices. I say live and let live.
Old March 11, 2009, 08:29 PM   #43
TEDDY

safty

some of you must be southern as you sound like the I do my thing and the el with you.yes I come from the north and I belong to a pistol indoor club.we even have a reloading room.infractions like have been posted would be grounds to be expelled.eye and ear protection is manditory.if the gun is not pointed at the target you get a warning,nextime your out.400 members and none have been kicked out.no one wants the disgrace as no club will take them.and there is no combat or cowboy .it is a bullseye target shoot and many are very good shoots even the women.we have had several national champians.and I know what hearing is as my wife is always upset as i cannot hear her unless she is right there.I have been shooting since the late 1930s
I have a number of trophys.but I was also a machine gunner in WW2 and shot high power before WW2 when there were no earmuffs.
be an ideot but when you kill some body theres no going back.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:37 PM   #44
fatboy02

I was at an outdoor range that I belong to, doing my range portion of CPL class when we got down to the pistol range (right next to the 50 yd range) ther was a couple of guys sighting in a .22 with one downrange next to the target "spotting impacts". He was less than 6' from the target

Yes they were done after that my instructor had a few words with them.
Old March 13, 2009, 04:48 AM   #45
Ben Towe

Something I've seen alot is new shooters that have just fired their first shot grinning like a mule eatin sawbriars and spinning around with the gun pointed to look at their buddies. Of course their buddies are ducking and falling to get away from the swinging gun. The problem is that we expect new shooters to know the basics right out of the box and many don't. I've made it a mental note to mention this to the next new person I take shooting.

A note about eye and ear protection: All through my younger days I refused to wear it thinking it was "sissy" or some such nonsense. I still don't wear eye protection like I should but I virtually always wear ear plugs or muffs since I'm 23 and already have tinnitus. It's not severe but it can get annoying at times. Of course I also have a fair amount of hearing loss to go along with it. So wear some plugs!
Old March 27, 2009, 12:27 AM   #46
Stuohn

When I lived in Texas I went to the range often and the range officers (for the most part) were pretty much on top of things. I've seen some people do some stupid things though. The least safe would have been a guy walking down range during live fire. The most disturbing thing I've seen was a guy posting pictures of (I'm assuming) an ex on target. Both told to leave immediately.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:46 AM   #47
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I have stopped people from going into "hot" indoor ranges without hearing protection. This happened the very same day all the other safety laws were infracted upon as mentioned in the first posting.
I sincerely don't believe I will be attending that indoor range and will allow my membership to expire. It is not worth the effort.
Given your apparent stress over this stuff, I can see why. It is probably best for everyone that you do.