The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2017, 04:27 AM   #1
Cheaperrooter

BCM gunfighter charging handle defective out the box? Not my week I guess...

So I decided to put that charging handle on the PSA pistol because I had a new one in the box never used. Wanted to try some night shooting with some NV devices to see how it would do with it.

Almost the exact same thing happened, except I tested it first without shooting. So I just sat there and cycled it manually one after another. Or I tried to. First round would go in, first round would not eject, the second round backed up behind it. Over and over and over again.

Of course my natural instinct was to think I had the same problem I just did and it really irritated me.

I'll cut out the 30 minutes it took me to figure this out, exchanging various bolts, triggers, mags and charging handles but bottom line? Wherever the handle goes, the problem enters right behind it.

Now this right here, this exact issue is where I have problems with my equipment. I can use them proficiently. I can take them all apart and reassemble them. I understand how they operate, just like I understand how car engine operates. The basics. I have no problems with any of that.

But diagnosing it? Truly understanding why the charging handle would cause this issue? I don't have the foggiest clue!!! All I know is I need help again guys, and I won't even mention what a let down it is having an issue with this piece, because as far as I was always aware, the BCM gunfighter charging handle was a top notch piece of equipment and it's on my other weapons now with no issues.

Other than it laying in it's original packing for two years, it's brand-new. What should I look for guys and gals? Think I should just get a new one and be done with it or is there something that's user serviceable/fixable

Last edited by Cheaperrooter; February 20, 2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old February 20, 2017, 07:06 AM   #2
B-Shot

Lock the bolt back, insert mag, release the bolt,pull back changing handle and tell us what happens
Old February 20, 2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Based on your previous thread and the opening post of this one, you can't accurately describe the problem. How are we supposed to diagnose it?
Old February 20, 2017, 09:23 AM   #4
DubC-Hicks

The charging handle should have nothing at all to do with the extractor grabbing the case rim. This problem didn't occur with the factory charging handle?
Old February 20, 2017, 10:44 AM   #5
BigBL87

When you charge the first round, are you letting the bolt go forward full force? If not, you may very well not be fully in battery which would explain why the extractor could be not grabbing the case.

I don't see any way a charging handle could specifically be responsible for a failure to extract when cycling manually. Did you lube the charging handle? I don't think it would create enough friction to slow it down that much, just grasping for something. Or maybe the handle is far enough out of spec to create a lot of friction to slow it down? I doubt it, but again just trying to come up with something besides user-caused problems.

Last edited by BigBL87; February 20, 2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old February 20, 2017, 01:08 PM   #6
ShootistPRS

it sounds like the extractor is not grabbing the case and/or the case is jamming in the chamber.
Old February 20, 2017, 04:55 PM   #7
Cheaperrooter

Quote:
Lock the bolt back, insert mag, release the bolt,pull back changing handle and tell us what happens
I can tell you my memory because I did it 25 times last night Charging handle feels very loose, not in place, free from bolt. The bolt stuck open by second round mash in at angle. The first round still in the chamber. Mag won't drop, so have to use screwdriver to wedge bolt back because handle no longer engaged to bolt. Remove mag. Stick a finger up mag opening and then unjaman second round and it drops freely once mag out, but not free enough that I still don't have to take my fingers and wiggle it slightly. Turn rifle upside down and original first round falls out.

Rifle now empty. Put in mag. Rack it. First round goes in and everything fine and normal. Manually rack the second time. Pete repeat the above.

Remove BCM handle and replace with one of many stock. No issues everything works fine. But BCM in different rifle. Pete repeat above statement. This only happens with the BCM charging handle.

I'm going to go outside in a few minutes and actually shoot it live and see if there's any difference between shooting and manually racking. Unless you are think that's a bad idea or if it's a bad idea and you don't want me on this forum any longer, say it's a good idea and you may be able to get rid of me!

Last edited by Cheaperrooter; February 20, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old February 20, 2017, 05:08 PM   #8
BigBL87

Wait, so with the bolt closed the handle isn't engaged to the bolt, such that you have to use a screwdriver to bring the bolt back? I don't know how that is physically possible.
Old February 20, 2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Cheaperrooter

The bolt is not closed, it's stuck open, partially closed about three quarters of the way, being blocked open by the second round.

Last edited by Cheaperrooter; February 20, 2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old February 20, 2017, 06:06 PM   #10
Cheaperrooter

It's definitely charging handle related so all I can assume if I had to give you my own theory is that the bolt is breaking loose from the charging handle and separating for one reason or another midway on the second cycle, not allowing the second round to fully load and it's being pulled back but then breaking loose halfway back and that's what's causing all the problems.

Why it doesnt separate on the initial around I don't know! But keep in mind I am manually cycling, so normally you're not pulling the handle back on the second and future rounds, it's done automatically when you're firing it. But right now I'm not too confident about wanting to pull the trigger to see what it does live.
Old February 20, 2017, 06:25 PM   #11
BigBL87

Gotcha. Well, if the bolt is stuck open then the charging handle being loose makes sense. When the bolt is open, you should be able to move the charging handle forward and back pretty freely, so THAT clears that part up a little for me.

When you are manually racking it, are you doing it with a good bit of force? I helped a guy at the range once that couldn't figure won't why is new AR wouldn't feed, he kept racking it and the round would jam. Turns out he had a round in the chamber because he -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- footed the bolt into place and it didn't go fully into battery, so when he pulled the trigger he got nothing and he slowly racked it back, not ejecting the round. Once I racked it with some force, the ejector did its job and popped the round right out. Then he proceeded to break the track for the target holder by not knowing how to use a red dot and aiming way too high. After that, I kinda wished I hadn't helped. I'd offered to let him shoot mine, probably a good thing he passed, haha.
Old February 20, 2017, 06:31 PM   #12
rickyrick

Maybe he's doing it too slow
Old February 20, 2017, 08:00 PM   #13
Cheaperrooter

I guess the only way to find out for 100% sure would be to go outside and shoot it with the BCM Handle. However, keep in mind I am doing the exact same thing with stock handles and I'm having no problems, I can run it through an entire mag. So unless I am not doing it LESS forceful because of the extended grip on the BCM handle which I think is extremely slim, if, not non existent, I am absolutely perplexed

Luckily it's not really a problem if I just don't use that handle as I say with all stock handles I don't have an issue.

So that's a good thing at least it's not something that can't be fixed. I'm just more perplexed than anything as to why a charging handle could cause that, especially a supposed better grade charging handle, but maybe I should call BCM Tuesday and see.

Last edited by Cheaperrooter; February 20, 2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old February 20, 2017, 08:33 PM   #14
SDF880

Glad I picked the Raptor over the BCM!
Old February 20, 2017, 08:48 PM   #15
Mobuck

Send me the BCM charge handle and I'll check it out for you.
Old February 20, 2017, 11:15 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Is the charging handle actually latching onto the upper receiver?

Or is it stopping short, when the latch hook hits? (Which holds the bolt back and won't let it go into battery.)
Old February 21, 2017, 12:33 AM   #17
Cheaperrooter

Quote:
.Send me the BCM charge handle and I'll check it out for you.
I would be glad to. I bought it at Amazon a couple years ago after putting one on my Colt and absolutely loved it. We moved shortly after and it got packed away and more or less misplaced in storage, until we moved again here.

Here means nothing to anyone but since I'm getting ready to do an introduction to myself and profile it will

Unfortunately, I purchased it on Amazon before the idiots at Amazon decided to stop selling AR 15 accessories (that's one move I will never understand) as normally I would just buy a new one and put this in the box and send it back as defective!

Other option is calling and notifying BCM and maybe having them swap one, as not wanting to lose $75 is never ones first instinct!

Do you want it just to inspect it for curiosity or do you think you can fix it? Reason I'm asking is if they are willing to swap me for one, I wouldn't want to do any damage to it. But if you can fix it then it doesn't matter

There's quite a few YouTube videos and articles out there about charging handles causing issues and binding up, so it's not quite as rare as I thought. But nothing with BCM. So rare it is indeed.

Funny as one guy is actually complaining that he has a Raptor charging handle that does not work. But his rant is one for the history books. It really is. I don't think I have ever read anything so ridiculously absurd.

Not only is he a complete imbecile, but everyone else is agreeing with him that raptor customer service sucks as well and can't believe how they are treating him. That's what I call the forum roller coaster. The first car leads and the rest just follow along cuz, well, no one wants to go against the crowd nowadays, and they all want to be part of a attack group.

In his rant he said, and I quote """it didn't seat correctly in my gun. I would have to POUND IT EXTREMELY HARD to close and lock into place.""" and it still doesn't work!

Ummmmm YEAH. Pounding should have been your first clue bro..

Theres not a whole lot of things on an AR 15 that requires extremely hard POUNDING and if that wasnt your first clue YOU were doing something wrong, SURELY, the next was a dead giveaway!

Which is he sends it to Raptor and they check it out and it fits absolutely perfect and they can find NO ISSUES with it whatsoever. So now, instead of this guy just licking his wounds and hiding in embarrassment, he chooses to continue publicly displaying his ignorance and continues to rant the following.

That he's VERY upset because Raptor wants to charge him return shipping to get it back to him. And why on earth should he pay return shipping for a, ready for this, defective part!!!

And upset that Raptor refused to send him a new one because, can you believe it everyone, it had signs of abuse and had scrapes and dings and.... and it STILL works for them!!! In which he replies in his rant well of course it does it's defective.

SMH. Not sure what's more scary, this guy's actions or the fact that everyone was agreeing with him. These are people that are running loose in America and they really scare the heck out of me!!

Last edited by Cheaperrooter; February 21, 2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old February 21, 2017, 04:40 AM   #18
HiBC

Based on your previous post,your general demeanor,and your intent to trash and smear the manufacturer of the gun in question,and what I perceive to be a general lack of maturity and accountability,along with problem solving and communication skills...

I think as far as I am concerned,you are on your own.

The guy you describe in the rant sounds a lot like the guy who wrote your last post.

Maybe this will help

https://youtu.be/irykjLjuKo8

Last edited by HiBC; February 21, 2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old February 21, 2017, 06:09 AM   #19
Cheaperrooter

What is it with you dude? You're just the type I guess that likes to hate and be a jerk! There's always one of you, that someone that just wants to be a hater for whatever reason.

My post above was called humor, but for someone like you that hates the world? You would never understand that because you read with evil eyes, hateful eyes.

You haven't helped previously and I definitely am not looking for your help now, but if you don't have something nice to say? Than don't say nothing at all!!!!!

And keep it off the thread. P.M. me if you have something to say "tough" cuz normally guys like you won't do that, because it's not about being "tough", it's about being "tough" for all the others to see huh?

You have Computer muscles. Because in real life I absolutely guarantee you, you would never talk to someone so disrespectful. But here will you get to say whatever you want with no repercussions for your actions? Yep!

SMH. Now log off and go beat up a kid... and as far as being immature and all the things you just called me, you're nothing but a shining example of the same. Obviously you didn't like my PSA thread and you just can't get over it can you? Most children can't!

Last edited by Cheaperrooter; February 21, 2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old February 21, 2017, 08:17 AM   #20
dgludwig

Hey Cheaperrooter, I'd consider taking Mobuck up on his kind offer. What do you have to lose at this point?
Old February 21, 2017, 09:14 AM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
Is the charging handle actually latching onto the upper receiver?

Or is it stopping short, when the latch hook hits? (Which holds the bolt back and won't let it go into battery.)
I think Franken is on to something here. The charging handle itself should have no effect whatsoever on how your BCG carrier feeds assuming it's installed properly and it's the right size. Based on your description, my shot-in-dark guess is that you're getting a slight pitching in the handle which affects the symmetry of the BCG. I've seen a handle that was wedged up slightly by the rear buffer collar on a lower--usually you should see excessive wear in the upper's latch area, and likely the carrier itself will show signs of abrasion of unusual alignment issues. Even your gas tube could be having issues aligning with your handle end--or possibly the assist pawl can be bumping the carrier too. I would look very carefully at the various signs of wear to try to "piece" the puzzle together.
Old February 21, 2017, 09:31 AM   #22
Cheaperrooter

As far as installing it and fitting into the upper, I have absolutely no issues, it slides right in place.

I'm getting ready to call BCM first and just see if they are aware of any issues. You never know. The guy could say yes we had a bad batch of those.

I haven't taken it any further in diagnosing it simply because since I know it's the charging handle and not the rifle itself, there's no reason for me to take it further, especially when I don't really know what I'm looking for

It would be for the curious type, and I have no issues sending it to you to relieve your curiosity. But as I say, let me call first because if they want to swap it for new one.... $75 is $75.

I'll update shortly as to what they say
Old February 21, 2017, 10:13 AM   #23
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Unfortunately, I purchased it on Amazon before the idiots at Amazon decided to stop selling AR 15 accessories (that's one move I will never understand
Huh. What do you know? You can buy all kinds of Bravo Company gear on Amazon: rail systems, picatinny rails for keymod, scope mounts, etc.; but you can't actually find a BCM charging handle on Amazon.

Not that I'd buy one on Amazon anyway as that's a good way to end up with a cutrate Chinese forgery. I've pretty much given up on buying gun gear off Amazon, or cellphone cases, or pretty much any high-end product subject to forgery.
Old February 21, 2017, 11:36 AM   #24
Cheaperrooter

What do I know??? LOL. I know more than you on that subject matter apparently.

How long has it been since you bought something off Amazon or searched for AR parts? I deal with them almost exclusively, probably 400+ orders a year, 2500+ items.

If you're going to try to make someone look a little foolish, you may want to make sure the information you're using can accomplish that task!

Yes, Amazon has pretty much quit selling all AR stuff and accessories, except little tiny stuff, crumbs here and there, like you said, a little rail here, maybe a flashlight mount there, but 95% of all AR products are history.

And the only reason I think those items are on there is Amazon just hasn't quite figured out that there still on there yet. When you have thousands of AR items it takes a while to get rid of all of them.

But yes, that was rather big news for awhile. It's all over Google that Amazon stop selling the stuff because of pressure from their investors. Not like it's one man's opinion. Where have you been Bartholomew? Probably best just to do an initial google search of that kind of stuff before weighing in.

I've never had that problem with an AR part, as far as getting any kind of a Chinese knock off trying to pass itself off as a brand-name. I guess it's possible, they fake everything else.

Just Google "Amazon to stop selling AR15 accessories"

Last edited by Cheaperrooter; February 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old February 21, 2017, 11:53 AM   #25
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
What do I know??? LOL. I know more than you on that subject matter apparently.
Yes. I meant that rhetorically. I wasn't trying to make you look foolish.

You are correct that, as I stated, I have not purchased gun stuff off of Amazon in awhile. I was surprised because I still see quite a bit of firearms related stuff in my recommendations, so while I was aware Amazon had made that announcement, I just assumed they weren't enforcing it.

Quote:
I've never had that problem with an AR part, as far as getting any kind of a Chinese knock off trying to pass itself off as a brand-name. I guess it's possible, they fake everything else.
Says the guy with a BCM charging handle that miraculously causes failure to eject and/or extract.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; February 21, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
Closed Thread