The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 22, 2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Doug Ridley

Chiappa revolver

Need info on Chiappa .22 LR for a practice pistol for my wife. I can get it for less than $200.00 and am wondering if it is worth it or should I spring for 2 or 3 times that much and get something better. Will it last and will it be accurate?
Old May 22, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2
AssaultTortoise

I've had one for several years now and so far its served its purpose. My 22/22mag Plinkerton was around $150 new when I bought it. For $180-$200 you can get a heritage rough rider which is a better made pistol. Ive run mostly 22mag through my plinkerton and the only issues its developed were the ejector rod screw coming loose and some small erosion of the pot metal around the steel liners. These are not guns made to had down the generations they will not hold up to hard abuse like a single six or similar guns will. I did remove the cross safety as its redundant to the half cock. This left a hole in the side of the gun which doesn't bother me any but most people don't like such things. The safety on the heritage is a little toggle instead of a drilled through half barrel on the cimarron. If your wife is practicing for CCW buy her the CCW gun and let her practice with it. I bought my wife an XD9 to practice and get her CCW with and she loves it.