The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 12:55 AM   #1
damo450

Trading/selling my XDM. Help

I have an XDM 40 full size and 6 mags I am trying to sell. I want to fund possibly a sig spartan. Now. I just like that 1911 so please no bashing. I have never been a fan of 1911's just like that pistol and my other sigs are great. That being said. I have this XDM that is really an awesome pistol but I cannot carry it. It's just too big. So I have put it up for sale or possible trade. The only trade offer I would consider so far is a glock 19 gen3 with two mags and night sights but I know my XDM is worth more. Am I wrong? Thoughts? He wants to trade straight across but I just can't do it. Or should I? Much appreciated.

-Damo
Old April 11, 2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Gaerek

If you're trying to trade based on $ value alone, you'll never trade. Yes, it's reasonable for trades to be similar in price (and the G19 and XDM are pretty close) but if you're worried about "losing" $50 or $75 on the deal, you might as well not trade. The XDM doesn't work for you. Would the G19? If so, it seems like it's a fair trade.

Another way to think about it is like this, how much could you sell your XDM for? How much would a used G19 be worth? In this case, I think we're looking at a difference of less than $50 (well, in my area anyway...YMMV).

Really, in this case, don't think in terms of $ amount, think in terms of whether you're getting something that will work better for you or not. If you absolutely cannot do that, see if he'll throw in a box of ammo or something. If you're really concerned, just trade 2 or 3 of your mags, and sell the rest. The mags are really the only thing making your side worth more. But the night sights on his side easily offset at least 2 or maybe even 3 of your mags, price wise.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
ScotchMan

It sounds like you want to buy the 1911, and you are considering the Glock because it is a convenient trade opportunity. The next step is you own the Glock for a month, realize you still want the 1911, and feel stupid that you didn't just sell the XDm to fund the 1911 in the first place.

If you want the Glock, take the trade, but if what you really want is the 1911, do what it takes to get the 1911. Don't allow yourself to get something you don't want because its convenient.

In today's market, it should be very easy to sell the XDm for close to what you paid for it. Use that money towards the Sig.

One other note, with very few exceptions, I regret letting go of every gun I've ever sold/traded. At the time, it was a good deal, but later I wish I still had that gun for this or that reason. Since guns seem to only go up in price over time (current market excluded), its never a bad decision to hang onto what you have and save the money for your next purchase.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old April 11, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
One other note, with very few exceptions, I regret letting go of every gun I've ever sold/traded. At the time, it was a good deal, but later I wish I still had that gun for this or that reason. Since guns seem to only go up in price over time (current market excluded), its never a bad decision to hang onto what you have and save the money for your next purchase.
Some of the best advice I have ever read on here.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 12, 2013, 01:18 AM   #5
damo450

Good advice from all. I have sold my XDM for a great price to a great buyer and bought the 1911 spartan today on gunbroker. Got a great price for the gun, sold a henry .22 for the rest of the purchase price and now the spartan is on its way. I could have cared less if I kept the XDM, but I agree with many of you that getting rid of guns only makes me feel remorse later! I almost bought a M11-A1 in place of the 1911 but, I have never, ever owned a 1911. So here goes nuthin. Thanks for the input. It just helps me to put it paper and get some input. Now I am a 1911 owner. sigh.....On a lighter note, getting rid of my henry big loop means I only have 17 .22 rifles (thats right 17) and my wife is happy. Thanks folks.
Old April 12, 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
ScotchMan

Congrats! Post pics when it arrives.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member