The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2013, 01:08 AM   #1
lakesidemn

Need HELP with .32 S&W Long

I've got a Dillon 550b that I am trying to setup lead wadcutter reloading for my .32 S&W Long competition pistol (Benelli MP90s). The problem is that I end up shaving lead off most of the rounds and its driving me crazy!

Stats:
1) Lapua 98gr LWC .313 bullets
2) Once fired brass from Fiocchi rounds (G.F.L. 32 Wad Cut)
3) RCBS carbide resize/deprime die
4) Dillon powder drop die
5) Redding Seating Die
6) Redding Profile Crimp Die

I assume I need a different die mix because the mouth and case need to be wider, but I'm not sure what to use. I've only been loading .45 ACP, so I am a rookie at anything but my .45. I bow to the real experts on this forum

Thank you,

Steve
Old February 25, 2013, 02:13 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

It has been a while since I dealt with the particulars of the parts in the .32 S&W Long quick change kit.
Is that powder funnel / case expander .30 caliber or .32 caliber? (~.308" or ~.312"?)
Old February 25, 2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Alferd Packer

I reload for .32 acp and.32 long. The acp seems to be flared enough by the dillon powder flaring die, but I load .309 lead round nose bullets in that one. For the .32 long, I had to go to the Lyman flaring die to both open the case and flare the case to accept the .312 -.313 sized lead wadcutter bullets. You have to check the flaring dies with a micrometer to see which will work and then switch them around to find one that gives the right amount of flare.Alternately, call Dillon and tell them your problem .They are extremely helpful and maybe you can get the right flaring tool for wadcutters. Or maybe they can suggest a fix. The wadcutter bullets tend to be on the fat side anyway. The flaring center post is different for wadcutters in that it is a little fatter, has a longer straight section to open up the case for the soft wadcutter bullets and then has the flaring portion further up the case. The round nose .32 bullets are harder alloy and only need a shallow flare to start the bullet in the case. The same with jacketed bullets. As I said, the wadcutters are almost deadsoft lead and will deform and shave lead without the proper Dillon powder-thru flaring die. I know what I'm trying to tell you, but I can't put the right labels on the explanation, but call Dillon and tell them what you are trying to load and they will fix you up.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:54 AM   #4
lakesidemn

Hello FrankenMauser:

The Dillon powder funnel/case expander is listed as: .32 S&W/.32 H&R Mag/.327 Mag
Old February 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5
saleen322

32 Wadcutters

I have been loading 32 S&W Longs for years and they are the most challenging pistol round I load for. The case is so small that + or - 0.1 results in an over 10% powder charge change. All of the good bullets for the target pistols are sized .313 to .314. I have tried a lot of the presses out there and only the Hornady lock n load has held dead on with my 1.7 grain charges. I do understand that Dillion makes some type of small powder dispenser just for these to increase the consistency of the small charge but I don't have any experience with it. As far as dies, I have used Lyman some but it has been Lee that gave the best results. Neither have shaved any bullets for me. I also have a Saeco 95 WC mold that makes a great bullet for these but they are bullet fussy. The Lapua has been the best closely followed by 98 Magtechs if you can get them. I have never had great results with the 98 Speer or the 90 grain Hornady. Hope this helps.

Last edited by saleen322; February 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM.

Tags
32 s&w , 32 s&w long , reloading 32