The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 19, 2013, 04:55 PM   #26
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
Do you have experience with any other brand of inexpensive red dots?
I do; I work at a gun shop/range so I've played with and shot quite a few different brands of red dots. The Vortex ones stood out, but I'm sure there are others that I haven't used that are good too (I haven't had a chance to try the Sightmark, for example).

In my quote that was posted above, maybe I should have added "in my experience", in case that wasn't readily apparent.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Sasquatch in MN

Red Dots:

This is one category that you truly do get what you pay for.

I have tried some RDS sights that are at the $100.00 and below price point and found them suitable for .22LR rifles and air rifles. I do not think they would hold up well for you under a heavier recoiling rifle with regard to chassis, electronics, and adjustment hold.

I had a Vortex Strikefire on one of my SBR's for a while and then moved it to a Beretta Storm. Decent optic for the money, but the controls were not laid out to my liking and I sold it off.

In my opinion, the baseline entry level RDS for a serious centerfire rifle would be the Lucid HD7 Gen III optic. It's military issue (currently fielded by several US commands) and can be had for $200 delivered New in Box. I have a couple of them on my personal rifles and they have held up exceptionally well, even on some carbine class rifles that have seen thousands of rounds of 5.56 and 5.45 ammunition.

Beyond the $200 threshold, there are many fine optics to choose from, bu they are outside the scope of the OP's request.

For what it's worth, my recommendation is to add a bit to your RDS budget and look at either the Vortex Strikefire or the Lucid HD7 Gen III sights. Both are far better than the sub $100.00 offerings that will likely give you nothing but grief and will likely spend more time in your spare parts box than on your rifle.

Don
Old August 22, 2013, 01:40 PM   #28
breakingcontact

It was either Palmetto State Armory or Primary Arms, they recently had the Vortex StrikeFire for $109 (but not currently). Keep an eye out for that deal to come around again?