The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 15, 2011, 01:37 PM   #1
jct61765

Suppressor in Florida how do I get it?

Hi, this is my first post here. I'll tell you my story quickly. I bought a suppressor March of 2010 in Florida. The end of May I lost my job and could not find another. I went to New Hampshire for Thanksgiving to visit friends. My wife and I were offered jobs working for a friend. I got the call from Florida saying I got my stamp the beginning of December. I dont want to go back to Florida to pick it up. How do I get it up to NH? The gun dealer said he would ship it to the dealer of my choice in NH. The dealer in NH said I will have to pay the $200 twice.

Anybody have any experience with this or any ideas?
Old January 15, 2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

You will need to file a 5320.20 to notify the ATF of your silencer's new home address.

I don't know about paying another $200 transfer... I would call the ATF NFA branch and ask them about it. 304 616-4500 I think that is their number.

Even if you do have to pay another $200 transfer, it will be cheaper than traveling back to Florida.
Old January 16, 2011, 01:18 AM   #3
jct61765

Thanks
Old January 17, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4
David Hineline

Just because your form 4 approved does not mean you still don't have to do a federal form 4473 in person at the Florida dealer's shop. Your dealer in Florida can void the transfer get the refund of the $200 tax paid, then transfer it to a dealer where you live now tax free, then you start the transfer process over again in your new state of residence. Have you even checked where you live if you can get the CLEO signature?

Anyway silencers and AOWs do not need the form 5320.20 to cross state lines like posted above, but it would not hurt anything to have an approved unneeded federal document.

Just goto florida pick up your item and drive it to your new home.
Old January 17, 2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

This is from the NFA branch website.

Quote:
Registrants do not have to obtain permission from ATF to move a silencer or “any other weapon” interstate. However, if a registrant’s address for these types of firearms changes after registration with ATF, please notify the NFA Branch in writing of the new address, so the NFRTR can reflect the registrant’s correct address.

The ATF said "please."
Old January 18, 2011, 04:25 AM   #6
jct61765

Thanks for the replies. I really dont have the time or want to drive 2600 miles round trip. I am going to be calling the ATF to see what they say. I was told by another class 3 here in NH that they could just mail it to me! Doesnt sound right, so I will be calling ATF asap. Thanks again for the replies.
Old January 18, 2011, 11:51 AM   #7
David Hineline

A dealer is allowed to do a transfer at his location of license, or at a bona fide gun show in his state of license, no where else, there is no he can just mail it to you.

If you had lived where you are now and shipped the silencer to out of state for repair, the gunsmith could ship it direct back to you, but that is not the case here.

I think your best bet is either to go through the hassle of having your dealer void the transfer, then start a transfer to your dealer in your new location, then you get a new cleo sig. and start the transfer again in your new state. Then when the ATF gets around to refunding the first transfer fee, let the dealer keep it for the hassle.
Old January 19, 2011, 01:18 AM   #8
jct61765

Ya it sucks for me. I hadnt worked in 6 months and finally found a job in NH. I may see how long they will hold it for me. The guy in Florida seemed to understand. Its tough down there right now. I got laid off from Advanced Ordnance. They have NO contracts for March. The layoffs started in Dec? I never thought it would happen to me.

Another question. The suppressor is on a Ruger Mark 1 frame, so it is part of the gun. If I declare it, like a regular handgun, can I stow it under the plane in my baggage?
Old January 19, 2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Willie Lowman

Yes, you can take suppressors on the plane locked and tagged (and hopefully not stolen) by TSA. Just like a regular handgun.
Old March 2, 2011, 01:34 PM   #10
jct61765

Well I found a class 3 dealer that would help me. After a few weeks of him calling ATF to confirm the transfer, its finally started. Thanks for all the replys!