The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 17, 2010, 08:01 PM   #26
savit260

Quote:
Shop at Walmart you get what you deserve including their little snot nose attitude concerning guns, ammo and handgun shooters in particular. I have never ever seen a more ignorant dysfunctional anti-gun crew anyplace including some college classes where I was the token conservative in the room.
Interesting.

The guy at my local Wal-Mart ammo dept. is an avid reloader, and turned me on to someone local with fantastic prices for lead bullets.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:02 PM   #27
shortwave

Yea! What he said!!

If you've got a Meijers shop there. Our local Meijers is much more gun-friendly(more friendly period) than Walmart and evenly compare to ammo prices.

Example: Our Meijers has gas pumps that are located a good distance from the main store. I'm going hunting , needed gas and had to pick up some Rem.12ga. #6 High brass. The lot at the main store was very crowded and I was in a hurry. Didn't want to fight crowd unless I had to. I asked the clerk at the gas pump area to call their sporting goods to see if they had the ammo. She very politely did. I went into main store and bought it.

May not sound like much to some but I appreciated the friendly service.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:07 PM   #28
4runnerman

My Wally world Moorhead,Mn. has it all out in plain sight,not locked or anything.All calibers there.Last year there seemed to be a big shortage of 22 cal,but there back in stock big time now. I do all my own reloading so i never buy from them any how,but we go there once a week and i always walk the isle's and look for something new.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:10 PM   #29
Crosshair

You guys are looking WAY too much into this. What probably happened is that someone bribed one or more of the staff to hold the ammo for them. The person who works when they get shipments in sets the ammo aside and gives the person a call.

That was how I got 9mm and 45 Auto HP ammo during the shortage. Someone else was paying them to hold the 380 Auto ammo for them. Not sure if anyone was paying them to hold the 40 S&W.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:31 PM   #30
dabigguns357

Quote:
Heres an idea... stop being cheap and trying to save a dollar or two, and support your local gun stores instead.....

I've said it time and time again,i refuse to pay any local extortion market a dime.Two local dealers advertise their range ammo for $18.99 a box,and my walmart still has range ammo for 10.97/12.97/15.97 a box for the same thing.I get 10% discount when i buy walmart ammo and i know when it comes in every time.I work for Walmart and i know enough when i'm behind the counter and will offer what ever advice i can to help.

When buying good ammo i buy online.Not speaking for reloading but for off the shelf ammo.

I can't see paying 29.86 + tax for a box of 25 federal hp's
when i can buy federal 50 count hp's online for 18.00 plus shipping

When i can get ammo deals for 18.00 a 50 count box for hp's and 49.00 for a bianchi leather holster,then i'll buy from our local extortion market.This is the same way i feel about guns,thats why i buy from summit gun broker or friends who are hard up for money.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:47 PM   #31
abelacres

I wonder if my Walmart is hiding the .357 Magnum ammo....hmmm
Old October 17, 2010, 08:51 PM   #32
publius

Probably just laziness, either not wanting to look for it or not wanting to take the time to get the key to get to it.
Old October 17, 2010, 11:30 PM   #33
SVO

I'm with Crosshair on this. Probably someone setting the ammo aside for someone's buddy. A talk with the manager might be interesting.
Old October 18, 2010, 12:54 AM   #34
HKFan9

My local gun stores dont charge much more than walmart is why I said stop being cheap. Walmart MIGHT be a dollar or two lower than my local gun shops, and they don't give me free coffee while I scope out the new hardware in the case. So for ME, walmart doesn't make sense.
Old October 18, 2010, 03:05 AM   #35
Nisei

I'm with HKFan9. Except I pinch pennies to pay for an extra tank of gas to drive 57 miles north (hours drive) to a small town to buy my ammo, get free coffee, talk with like minded people, play with the guard dog and get a good home cooked meal at the local restaurant next door to the gun shop. It is worth it.

Some people call me absolutely bat-****-insane. I call it keeping my friends in business. (If you can call the people at Wally World your friends, then more power to ya guys.)
Old October 18, 2010, 03:17 AM   #36
Irish B

My local walmart has been 'out' of .38 and .357 for a long time. Hmmm.
Old October 18, 2010, 04:00 AM   #37
Mr Lucky

Most Walmarts never have all calibers and each store seems to have a different supply of what they do have on hand.

Quote:
You guys are looking WAY too much into this. What probably happened is that someone bribed one or more of the staff to hold the ammo for them. The person who works when they get shipments in sets the ammo aside and gives the person a call.
This does happen and local retailers do sometimes buy what they can. There is a slim margin on ammo and most gun shops are not given any prior notice of expected ETA for ammo shipments from their distributors.

This is part of the reason Walmart temporarily started limiting customers to six boxes.

— Abraham Lincoln
Old October 18, 2010, 06:19 AM   #38
CajunBass

Quote:
WalMart IS a local gun store.
Nice to finally hear someone else say this.

Quote:
I would rather go to a local gun store, pay about a dollar more a box, and enjoy some free coffee and banter with like minded people if I am not in a hurry.
My local store is actually about the same price as Wal-Mart. That doesn't stop me from buying ammo from Wal-Mart when I want to (or when they have it). As many guns as I buy from the LGS, they have no right to gripe about me buying some ammo or even a gun or two, at Wally World.

It's been a long time since I saw any free coffee at either of them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 18, 2010, 06:33 AM   #39
sonnycrockett

Walmart does indeed do underhanded Ammo sale practices , Walmart Sux in general so why shop there at all :barf:
Perhaps U could spend a buck more and buy a box at the gun shop ,its more fun to browse the gun shop anyways - U may even find a gun on sale instead of
tupperware and clothing made in china
Old October 18, 2010, 06:47 AM   #40
SSgt Facebreaker

Wal*Mart's ammo prices have gone down in the last six months or so, at least in my area. That's something that cannot be said for the local gunshops.
Old October 18, 2010, 07:41 AM   #41
PSP

Quote:
When I asked the manager why there wasnt a sign telling customers that they had these types of ammunition she said she had been told by home office to not put up a sign until they told her too, it sounded like it might have been a conversation that happened a while ago..

Did you ask the mkanager why it was locked away, out of sight? That would have been my question.

My local Walmart is almost fully stocked on ammo. Lots of 9mm & .45, but still just little drabs of .380. Other stores in the area are back to "almost" normal too.
Old October 18, 2010, 07:56 AM   #42
mordis

I buy my ammo from the local gun shop. THing is, this local gun shop succsesfully competes with Gandermountain for Selection on handguns and rifles and shotguns. They have a HUGE ammo stock with more arriving daily. I personaly shoot .38 and get it from them at about $16 a box for range ammo.

Now if i want sd/hd ammo i shop online. Sorry local gun stores but you cant compete with online sources. As stated earlier why pay $25 for a 20 round count box of sd/hd ammo when i can order online and get 50 round count box of sd/hd ammo for a lower price. When the local store can compete with that, ill buy more ammo from them.
Old October 18, 2010, 08:35 AM   #43
skoro

Quote:
Well I don't see the point in going online and crying to others about poor service at Walmart. They are what they are, they don't care about you
^^^
This

I look at Walmart as a self service place. Expecting competency or decent results from the floor workers will generally result in disappointment. It's a pleasant exception to the rule when they get it right, though.

Yeah, I get some ammo there on rare occasions. But I make an effort to avoid leaving money with those people. Unless something has changed recently, Walmarts are a financial black hole in most localities. They take lots of money out of the community while putting little back, such as refusing to sponsor little league teams, etc.
Old October 18, 2010, 08:38 AM   #44
dajowi

I haven't been to Walmart in a while. However, I do buy ammo there since it is the cheapest place around here to purchase 9mm and .45. It also has good prices on .22 ammo, but our local Bi-Mart does as well.

If I want to get ripped off on ammo, (even higher than purchasing on-line) I'll go to the local gun shops. One local shop has .22 Minimag ammo for sale at $10.00 per box of 100. The local Walmart and Bi-mart sell the same ammo for $5.00. I'd certainly support the local shops if they weren't so greedy.
Old October 18, 2010, 09:41 AM   #45
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Heres an idea... stop being cheap and trying to save a dollar or two, and support your local gun stores instead.....
I agree. My local gun store carries target ammo and only about $2 more than wall mart. It's worth it considering it saves me the trouble of have to elbow my way through the unwashed masses only to be disappointed with the selection and quanity. My local gun store has everything lots of what I need and in all the flavors.
Old October 18, 2010, 10:10 AM   #46
FoxtrotRomeo

Quote:
Shop at Walmart you get what you deserve including their little snot nose attitude concerning guns, ammo and handgun shooters in particular. I have never ever seen a more ignorant dysfunctional anti-gun crew anyplace including some college classes where I was the token conservative in the room
Move to the south. In my Wal-Mart they don't hide diddly poo or give you an attitude and it's usually gone pretty fast. They still can't keep it on the shelves.

I generally buy HP rounds there. They're cheap and reliable.

Quote:
Oh dude... The two local shops I go to LOVE me. The more local start up shop has commercial reloads, they're not only cheaper but generally more accurate. I try to buy that when I can. Eventually I'll be getting a pistol from them. The less local shop has a bigger selection and they really love me. One of the salesman knows darn well that if I'm gonna buy something then chances are it might be expensive. 460V revolver, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Desert Eagle and sooner or later an M1A and a FS2000, yeah they LOVE to see me come in.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old October 18, 2010, 10:45 AM   #47
Uncle Buck

Walmart here in Warrensburg has a little bit of everything on their shelves.

For the guys who complain about the prices at their local gun shops and the guys who say support the local gun shops, it really comes down to half a dozen of one and six of the other...

When Bubba buys his ammo at Walmart and takes it to his store and marks it up 50% or more, why should I support him? Honestly?

When Bubba gets his ammo from a manufacturers distributor and it cost a little more than Wally World, I can understand paying a bit more.

When the ammo shortage was in full swing (or the demand was in full swing) our local Walmart put the ammo out at 9:00 AM. You could call the store and they would tell you, "Yes, We have... and it came in on the truck this morning, but we will not put it out until 9:00 am."

When you got there, standing in line were a few employees from local gun shops. They would readily admit they were buying it to mark it up and resell it.

I try to support local shops as much as possible, but I also believe in saving money where possible. Luckily I have learned to reload and do not have to buy commercial ammo very often.
Old October 18, 2010, 10:51 AM   #48
BGutzman

PSP, I did ask the manager why they didn't have it on the shelf and she said home office told them not to put it on the shelf.

Could she have lied? Sure, but I have no way to be sure either way and its not that big a deal as I can get ammo elsewhere.

One does have to stuck up for those occasional zombie attacks and such.
Old October 18, 2010, 12:38 PM   #49
810wmb

i know for a fact my local wally hid ammo. i benefited from it a couple of times.

i started calling at night after 7pm on wed. and fri. nights. the salesman told me that was when the trucks ran.

this was during the big run on ammo after obama came in. i have noticed they are keeping most cal. in stock, behind the glass now.

i started reloading last dec, so screw 'em
Old October 18, 2010, 02:16 PM   #50
dogtown tom

Quote:
sonnycrockett: Walmart does indeed do underhanded Ammo sale practices...
"Underhanded" practices like being cheaper than anyone else?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Tags
45 acp , ammo , politics