The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1
stilllookin'

Replace or modify my Rem 700 .270

I like quality and am willing to pay for it. What do you think about piecing together finer components over time from the barrel to the action, and the stock? Or, what do you recommend for a complete upgrade to the next level?
I like this mountain rifle, but sometimes feel it's too off-the-shelf. @750 rounds through it, stock fairly worn from years of happy hunting.
Old August 10, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Scorch

Refinish the wood if you like, or you can replace the stock with a new wood or fiberglass stock. There are some good stockmakers around, or PM me and we can discuss it (I do stockwork for a living). Rebarrel if you like, 750 rounds is still like brand new.

If you just want something different, buy a Surgeon rifle, or a Nosler 48, or a Montana rifle, or whatever, there are lots of custom rifles available.
Old August 10, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Custom rifles usually start with blueprinting the action. It's probably most efficient to do that and change a barrel at the same time, since the old barrel has to come off to work on the action. Stock, trigger, etcetera, can all be done separately, if you like.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 10, 2010, 04:34 PM   #4
nobearsyet

My suggestion would be to proceed as follows, contact little crow gunworks and request their factory rifle accurizing, before you send it off order any number of pre thread barrels and have a local gunsmith pull the old one and just screw the new one in, no need to worry about headspace or any of that as little crow will take care of that. Just don't try to shoot it before you send it off. Before you send it off, or after it comes back, either or, I'd get ahold of the guys at MPI fiberglass gunstocks for one of their ultralights, it'll shave about 2 pounds off that mountain rifle. Don't worry about the trigger as little crow will work that while its their. When it comes back expect a very dramatic difference in accuracy. Make it a point of lapping your rings and putting good glass on it if you want to take full advantage of what the smith will do.