The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1
bullspotter

Lee turret press test drive

Bought a lee classic and the goodies to go with it. Loaded up 200 rounds of 9mm, have to say i like it, but had to iron out a few issues.

First was the safety primer feed, had some issues with the auto disk hitting it on the way around, didnt want to buy the extension so I ended up drilling and tapping a hole in the corner of the primer feed mount, and installed a small set screw, now by moving the screw in or out i can adjust the movement (swing) of the assy, This was good enough for clearence on the auto disk and also holds the feed end of the primer feed closer to the primer inserter on the ram. Worked slick as a trick on a tick!!!

2nd was the auto disk itself, with my 9mm load of 5.4 grains of Unique, their was not a disk size to give me this, could get 5.1 or 5.7, with the use of my knife and about 30 min I now have one that gives me what I use.

Few things i really like, i can just pop out some compleated ammo without setting up and changing dies all around, several times, also like the primer drop tube, not 1 single primer on the floor yet!!!

Spent about 4 hours setting up the press, adjusting dies, playing with it some and learing how it works, Had 2 load sessions after setup, loaded 100 rounds in about 45 min or so. Loaded 200 total. So far so good the only other thing im going to do is add a small LED light that will allow me to see in the case better, just for a powder check, I like to see the powder level in every case.

Over all I like it, anyone else have one thats got some of their own little personal touches to make it better???
Old February 9, 2010, 12:44 AM   #2
amamnn

The only gripe I had with mine was that I kept knocking the primer catching hose off with my knee. Once I put on a hose clamp it was fat city.........
Old February 9, 2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Jim243

Neat idea on the primer feed problem, I just bought the extension that was 4 years ago and never had a problem since.

On your second issue, just purchase the micro-disk you can tune in the load you want it to drop even to a tenth of a grain, I never use my disk sets anymore even though I have two sets. And I load for rifle with a different system.

If you find a good small light please let us know.

Welcome to the club.
Jim
Old February 9, 2010, 08:30 AM   #4
SaxonFSU

i have the plain turret press, but does anyone have a problem with the primer arm falling out of the ram like every 5th stroke or so? happens to me and my grandad on his breach lock press. it gets annoying, maybe just powder getting in there and messing it up? any suggestions?
Old February 9, 2010, 09:52 AM   #5
jmortimer

You could try the the hand held Auto Prime. Many people prefer to hand prime myself included.
Old February 9, 2010, 10:44 AM   #6
TheBigO

I just got a lee turret press and my only problem is on the powder charge cycle it will over rotate about a 1/4in. The instructions show that you take a wrench and tweek the bar running through the middle. Is this the correct fix?
Old February 9, 2010, 10:46 AM   #7
mlk3454

Quote:
i have the plain turret press, but does anyone have a problem with the primer arm falling out of the ram like every 5th stroke or so? happens to me and my grandad on his breach lock press. it gets annoying, maybe just powder getting in there and messing it up? any suggestions?
I had this problem in the beginning. When I had first set up the press it and was either setting up the dies or making sure that each turn lined up squarely with the dies I would randomly have the primer arm fall out. I did notice that while loading ammunition I didn't have that issue as often and after some time and lots more ammunition it doesn't happen anymore. Looking at the arm now it seems to have gotten polished by the motion going in and out. So I would assume if you polish it yourself you will get to where I am faster than I did.
Old February 9, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8
SaxonFSU

Yeah maybe ill get my dremel after it. What about the auto disk, I have yet to order one, just been using the perfect pm, shuved into the powder exp. Die, should I just get the autodisk pro, or the regular with an adjustable bar, I will be loading 9mm. Also do I need the riser for it with the pistol powder through expander dies?
Old February 9, 2010, 12:04 PM   #9
dsv424

I use the Pro auto disk with the adjustable charge bar and it works great. Some powders don't meter well(flake powders mostly) when they are small drops like 4.0 or less. But with most powders it works great and gives you the ability to fine tune your drops without having to change disks to get the right drop. You will need the riser to get clearance for the auto-disc so it won't hit the primer tray as it comes around.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Taroman

No More Flying Primers

Just got a new Classic Turret last month.
I always use a handheld auto-prime, so didn't install the little primer arm. When de-priming, a few primers would fly out the slot instead of dropping down the tube.
I bent a small piece of aluminum into a VEE and pressed it into the priming slot on the ram.
No more flying primers.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old February 9, 2010, 12:44 PM   #11
SaxonFSU

oh ok. ill look at it and maybe come up with something.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:05 PM   #12
SaxonFSU

I would use the autoprime, but I have about 800 federal primers to use up and I read that they were a little volitile. I also like not having to take a shell out during the process.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Nate1778

That is my biggest gripe about Lee products, they leave out the obvious stuff that should come with it. The powder extender should come with it. The collator should come with the progressives. Can't figure out why they don't do that.
Old February 9, 2010, 04:27 PM   #14
mlk3454

Quote:
should I just get the autodisk pro, or the regular with an adjustable bar, I will be loading 9mm
I would recommend the pro auto disc with the riser. I load mainly 9mm but also 380 and 40. Sometime soon I am looking to get into rifle calibers as well.
Old February 9, 2010, 04:37 PM   #15
SaxonFSU

do you need the autodisk riser if your using lee dies and the safety prime?
Old February 9, 2010, 04:45 PM   #16
rwilson452

FYI If you leave the priming arm in, the spent primers go where they should.

Quote:
Just got a new Classic Turret last month.
I always use a handheld auto-prime, so didn't install the little primer arm. When de-priming, a few primers would fly out the slot instead of dropping down the tube.
I bent a small piece of aluminum into a VEE and pressed it into the priming slot on the ram.
No more flying primers.
Old February 9, 2010, 04:50 PM   #17
aerod1

That's a great press!! Only problem I have is being able to afford the feed. I can load more than I can afford.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old February 9, 2010, 06:21 PM   #18
rwilson452

Yes.

Quote:
Old February 9, 2010, 07:27 PM   #19
RidgwayCO

Jim243, here's the LED light that I use:

http://www.quality-items-flashlights...pID/61/imgID/0

With rechargeable Eneloop NiMH AAA batteries it lasts quite a while with a nice bright light. Also, since it has a flat bottom I was able to drill a flat-bottomed hole right next to my LCT and shine the light directly into each case. I'll see if I can update this post with a photo once I get home...

Lots of merchants carry this light... I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:46 PM   #20
shepheard

I love mine. The only gripe I had was getting exactly what I want to dispense out of the pro auto disk. I set up a uniflow on the Horn capd with a ptx bushing and now get exactly what I want. It works like a champ.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:56 PM   #21
mwcarl

The problem I have with it is that I get powder build up around the hole on the auto disk. Is this normal? Other then that I love it.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:46 AM   #22
brotus2

Thanks.
Old February 15, 2010, 04:18 PM   #23
sewerman

bullspotter,

purchase the charge bar for pistols charges.

works much better then the disc system.

i couldn't quite Visualize your adaptation but you will need that extension if you plan on loading for rifles...so when you order the charge bar get the height extension, you'll be glad you did.

i order straight from lee i have had very good results...the prices are good and freight costs reasonable.

hope this helps

sewerman

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old February 15, 2010, 05:20 PM   #24
CrustyFN

Quote:
Sorry I have the classic turret. Not sure how it fits into the deluxe turret. On the classic it can't come out as long as the shell holder is in place.

Quote:
I just got a lee turret press and my only problem is on the powder charge cycle it will over rotate about a 1/4in. The instructions show that you take a wrench and tweek the bar running through the middle. Is this the correct fix?
Close. You don't want to tweak the bar. Put the wrench on the bar to keep it from moving and then turn the turret by hand until it is where it belongs.

Quote:
To keep them from hitting you will need the riser.

Quote:
The problem I have with it is that I get powder build up around the hole on the auto disk. Is this normal? Other then that I love it.
When I take mine apart to change holes in the disk there is usually a little powder around the hole in the disk. Won't hurt anything. I got an LED light from Grainger. Works great and makes it much easier to see in the case.

Old February 15, 2010, 11:52 PM   #25
boston

You'll find that some powders work well with the disk set, but not the charge bar, and the reverse. Flake powders like Unique have a tendency to bridge using the charge bar, but are ok with the disk kit. Thus, it is a good idea to have the charge bar, the disk kit, the double disk kit, and the micro disk in order to cover numerous powders and calibers.