The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2009, 11:59 AM   #1
babarracing

Need Pistol powder recommendations:

I have been doing a lot of indoor range shooting lately and as a consequence noticing things I have never experienced shooting outdoors in a State which is generally pretty windy. My 44 special 3" barrel and my 45ACP 3" barrel guns are sending out Civil War type smoke clouds. This is causing me to wait till the smoke clears too see to fire another shot. Not unlike the situation Custer's men found themselves in at the Little Bighorn river. Can anyone recommend any readily available Brands of powder that won't do this? Please help.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:07 PM   #2
joneb

What brand of powder and charge are you using now ? and what bullet are using ?
Old January 14, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Scorch

Many "smokeless" powders are actually pretty smoky, especially at lower pressures like many target loads. If you are shooting a slow powder, switch to a faster powder like Unique, 231, or Universal. It could also be bullet lube, if you are shooting cast bullets.
Old January 14, 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
babarracing

Pistol powder that doesn't throw a smoke screen:

You ask what powder I'm using I didn't mention the names because I didn't want to Bad mouth them. But I'm using Bulleye at about 800fps load with 230gr. hard lead bullets in the 45ACP.
I am using Unique and 200gr. Hard cast bullets at about 900FPS in the 3" Mdl 24 S&W. While these are not artillery loads they should certainly be adequate so as not to simulate the battlefield smoke of Gettysburg. Help
Old January 14, 2009, 03:51 PM   #5
ShootingNut

Also shoot hard cast lead, and am using Accurate #5 in both .40 and .45 ACP.
I load 185 to 230 grain in 45, just finished loading 300 rounds of 225 gr. over
8.0 - 8.2 gr of Acc#5. Mid range load per the powder chart.
Smoke, not anything bothersome shooting in our indoor range. I wouldn't say I've never had to move aside some, due to a cloud. I try not to breathe it in, don't think my lungs would appreciate it.:barf:
I'd give this powder a try, use it for everything now except .357 Mag loads.
Good Luck!
SN
Old January 14, 2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Shoney

babarracing

You are not badmouthing those powders, just reporting the facts. they are two of the best powders and also can be two of the dirtiest. As has been mentioned, a lot of the smoke is being generated by the lube on the cast bullets.

I have switched to Hodgdon Universal. It is a very good metering and clean burning powder, which can be used in a wide range of handgun cartridges and shotgun loads. It will not prevent smoke from the bullet lube though.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 15, 2009, 02:09 PM   #7
babarracing

Shoney Gratitude for genuine knowledge

Shoney; Thank you very much. I am using Oregon trail bullets and I did not know the lube could get me. I would like your opinions on these. I presume they come pre greased, like my old Colorado Cast bullets were. But, I let an 80+ year old guy with a progressive press load "em for me. I 20 years younger then he and Can't spend hours at a single stage press anymore due to my back problems. Trust but verify so I have torn down some of his 38 special standard pressure 110gr Goldots. They hurt my hand like a Mule kick when fired in my 11.5oz S&W Mdl 342. So I had to see for myself that they were 110 gr and had only 5.2 gr of Accurate #2. They were. If I can't practice with it I won't carry it so that gun is gonna be sold. I am going to try to find an LE guy who has to carry 24/7 and needs snag free stress draw.

P.S.
there is no way I find a step aside approach to see to fire a second round acceptable. You Do What You Practice.