The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2006, 10:15 AM   #1
ZeroJunk

Neck Preparation

When I load spitzer type bullets such as Nosler Partitions I get a sliver or two of copper peeled back as the bullet is seated.Very small,probably not noticeable unless you are looking for them.They do not appear to effect accuracy,at least not for hunting load requirements.I bevel the neck edge with an RCBS burring tool,and then tumble them so they are clean when loaded.Does anybody else notice this?Is it a concern?
Old October 21, 2006, 11:03 AM   #2
arkie2

There's a para in Lee's Modern Reloading which talks about trimming cases and warns not to chamfer the cases too much as the end of the case becomes too sharp and could shave the bullet.
Old October 21, 2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Dave Haven

Quote:
There's a para in Lee's Modern Reloading which talks about trimming cases and warns not to chamfer the cases too much as the end of the case becomes too sharp and could shave the bullet.
Say WHAT?
I chamfer the inside of the case mouth to PREVENT shaving the bullet.
Old October 22, 2006, 06:37 AM   #4
arkie2

Say WHAT?
I chamfer the inside of the case mouth to PREVENT shaving the bullet.

Oops! I guess it pays to read closely what's been written. The sentence is "You do not want to chamfer so much that the end of the case becomes sharp, just enough to prevent the case from shaving the bullet".

Guess I associated the comment about chamfering the case so much so that it becomes too sharp with the comment about shaving the bullet. Obviously the intent was to chamfer the case to prevent it from shaving the bullet. Sorry.
Old October 22, 2006, 08:01 AM   #5
ZeroJunk

I do chamfer or bevel them.I suspect the deburring tool does not completely smooth the brass and a rough spot can still shave a little sliver.You probably wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it.There may be a finer texture deburring process,or maybe better to just ignore.
Old October 22, 2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Dave P

Might try a shallower angle reamer. I like the vld type, about $20.
Old October 22, 2006, 11:19 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Or a Lyman M-type expanding die. It adds a step but it really gets the bullet seated smoothly.