The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 28, 2017, 10:36 PM   #1
BrushHunter-6.8SPC

Opinions on Bushmaster ACR vs SCAR 16

I've recently taken a fancy in piston driven .556/.223 and I've narrowed down my next choice to either a SCAR 16 or a Bushmaster ACR, I was wondering what y'all'a opinions in them were and i would also like to know what kinda price I should expect to pay for either of them as online prices have been quite varied.
Old January 29, 2017, 02:33 AM   #2
DubC-Hicks

The ACR was one of the biggest let downs IMO. We were promised an awesome rifle with multiple caliber options, and ended up with a typical Freedom Group Bushmaster dismal rifle with no aftermarket accessories, and common reliability problems.

The SCAR is far and away the better rifle here. But worth nowhere near what it costs, also IMO. My choice in current fancy piston driven 5.56 would be the CZ BREN. Although I'm having a hard time coughing up the dough for one, when I can buy two nice ARs or a nice bullpup for the price.
Old January 30, 2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Jay Bernard

In my opinion I would go with FN SCAR 16, It's been battle tested on the field from many SF groups around the world including our US SF as a reliable rifle. The only let down is the MSRP for this rifle. You'll be spending for a brand new SCAR at a whooping $2295.00. But hey you can't go wrong with FN they make great firearms and if you have the money why not.
Old January 31, 2017, 01:39 PM   #4
Fishbed77

You aren't likely to find many people that recommend the ACR over the SCAR. It was a promising design that was left to flounder due to typical Cerberus/Freedom Group/Remington/Bushmaster ineptitude, ambivalence, and general disdain for their customer base. On the other hand, the SCAR is a proven (if vastly overpriced) rifle from a respectable manufacturer.

That said, you should also check out the CZ BREN. In my opinion, it improves over the SCAR in a few key respects. If you are open to bullpups as well, there are much worse options than the Tavor/X95.
Old January 31, 2017, 03:42 PM   #5
ronl

I would check out the Robinson Armament XCR, too. I think it's a better platform than either, and it's a little less costly. I bought one of the early ones, and while they had their teething problems, mine has been very reliable and accurate. They have much improved the design over the years. New rifles are really excellent. Just too bad more people don't give them a good look. Another piston type rifle to consider is a Daewoo K-2. You can find them on auction sites and they can be had for much less than either of the other rifles mentioned. Accessories such as rails, handguards, etc. are available, but pricey. Even if you add a rail, and the railed handguards, you're still under what you'd pay for a new SCAR or ACR, I think they are actually better weapons, and the design has been battle tested over the years. Good luck in your search.
Old January 31, 2017, 05:17 PM   #6
peggysue

Dawoo
Old February 2, 2017, 06:19 AM   #7
CDR_Glock

One of the biggest negatives of the ACR is the slower twist rate compared to the Scar. I don't like the limitation of not being able to use a heavier grain bullet. I want every option Available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old February 2, 2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Theohazard

Between those two rifles there's no contest: The SCAR wins hands-down for the reasons already posted by others.