The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Arbitrage

Ultrasonic Clean / Tumble order

Do you all Ultrasonic Clean first, then tumble? Also, is Ultrasonic cleaning helpful or is it simply unnecessary?
Old January 19, 2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Jay24bal

My question is why do both?

They are two options for cleaning brass, which in and of itself is not necessary, but most of us do it.

Personally I prefer ultrasonic as I do not want excess dust in the basement.

Unless you want polished, shiny brass, ultrasonic will clean it. And if you do want polished, shiny brass, just tumble it all rather than ultrasonic then tumbling.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 19, 2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Ultrasonic cleaning, unless you buy an expensive industrial power level unit, is slow but thorough. If you use a citric acid based cleaning solution, you only need to dry the cases off. You don't need to tumble them as well unless there is a bright polished appearance motivation. If there is, then tumble second as the acid in the ultrasonic solution will dull a glossy shine.

Interestingly, the dull shine left by citric acid is more corrosion resistant than the high polish. Apparently citric acid treatment is used by brass manufacturers to treat brass that has to be stored a long time.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 19, 2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Arbitrage

So I don't even have to tumble? Or purchase an ultrasonic cleaner? Excellent! Thanks Jay24bal !
Old January 19, 2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

To clarify, ultrasonic will clean primer pockets and some inside carbon better. So the only time there is a reason to do both is if you want both the extra thorough cleaning plus a high polish finish. The ultrasonic will remove the primer residue that causes vibratory tumbler dust to become contaminated with lead and its dust to be a potential health hazard.

There is actually a third mechanized option, and that is rotary wet tumbling with stainless steel pins and cleaning solution. That also does thorough cleaning inside and out, and leaves a better shine than the ultrasonic.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 19, 2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Arbitrage

Thanks Unclenick - I am still thrilled with the 'I don't even have to clean the brass' - I just tumbled 150 10mm cases (with primers still in them) in walnut lizard bed material & Flitz Tumbler/Media Additive and they are shiny but I still see carbon deposits or some sort of discoloring inside the casing. That's why I was wondering if Ultrasonic cleaning would fix that... but another post said I don't even have to clean the case... they might look ugly but will work fine. Assuming that is correct, I am thinking it will save time and money by skipping this process.
Old January 19, 2015, 06:12 PM   #7
lamarw

I decap my brass and then run it through my L&R Ultrasonic. I then rinse the brass under hot running water and blow it dry with a hand held hair dryer. This cleans the brass to include the primer pocket.

I have a tumbler, and it was once my go to process. Tumbling will not clean the interior of the brass or the primer pocket.

Many swear by the steel pin tumbling process. I do not know how well this process does on the interior of the brass or the primer pockets. I have seen pictures of the exterior of brass using this process, and it looks to be as nice as the exterior of my ultrasonic cleaned brass.
Old January 19, 2015, 06:56 PM   #8
trigger643

since I'm not reloading enormous lots and don't care about having a magical shiny case, I went with the ultra sonic method. I've been really happy with it and the tumbler went away.
Old January 19, 2015, 08:29 PM   #9
cryogenic419

Ultrasonic will clean the inside of the case and the primer pocket but you have to decap first. Ultrasonic will clean your brass in ways that tumbling never will, all you will see inside the case is brass. The downside is if you overload the cleaner with brass and don't at some point shift them around there will be some that don't get completely clean, in my experience anyways. Perhaps a more powerful industrial unit won't have these issues.

The caveat is that brass cleaned in the ultrasonic generally is not going to be shiny, very clean, just not shiny. Some folks automatically equate shiny to being clean but when you look into the case and the pocket that's been tumbled that's where where the magic ends usually.

if you desire clean and shiny brass you have a few options. Ultrasonic first, then tumble.

The latest method is wet tumbling with SS pins like Unclenick mentioned. It truly brings you the best of both worlds, the clean of an ultrasonic and shine of tumbling.

If you haven't invested in an ultrasonic yet, check into the wet tumbling with pins method and equipment. Every method has its ups and downs.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:15 PM   #10
lamarw

The brass from my ultrasonic is shiny. I set the ultrasonic timer for ten minutes. I raise the basket above the level of the cleaning solution after five minutes and shake the brass around vigorously and then lower back in the cleaner for the last five minutes.

Again the question, does steel pins clean the interior of the brass and the primer cavity?
Old January 20, 2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Ccctennis

Ultrasonic

My ultrasonic makes brass factory shiny. Just don't over load the basket and use a combination of lemi-shine with hornday sonic cleaner or lyman cleaner.
Old January 20, 2015, 02:47 PM   #12
Worc

I only clean brass after every 2 or 3 loadings depending on how it's looking. Once clean I run it under hot water for a little bit while shaking it. then I give it a few shakes before dumping it out on to an old towel and let it air dry. I'll move it around after a few hours a few times.

I use a Lyman and a home made solution that's cheap and works great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99kGy8-bGXs
I'll add in a little Lem Shine next time I clean my brass.
Old January 20, 2015, 04:45 PM   #13
Arbitrage

Thanks Worc - looks like vinegar solution was the best. Do you do it in an Utrasonic cleaner? Or a wet tumbler?
Old January 20, 2015, 06:07 PM   #14
TMD

Shiny don't shoot better. Just makes it like my Harley, all show and no go.
Old January 20, 2015, 06:54 PM   #15
lamarw

No disagreement with you TMD.

I like to have the primer pockets clean and might as well get my brass nice and shiny while I am at it.

It is also easier to find my brass when it is shiny especially on a sunny day. I shoot out back and not at a firing range.
Old January 21, 2015, 10:20 AM   #16
Worc

Quote:
Thanks Worc - looks like vinegar solution was the best. Do you do it in an Utrasonic cleaner? Or a wet tumbler?
Sorry, my Lyman is an ultra sonic unit.
Old January 22, 2015, 06:31 AM   #17
cryogenic419

Quote:
Again the question, does steel pins clean the interior of the brass and the primer cavity?
Assuming that you have decapped the brass, yes the ss pin wet tumbling will clean the interior and primer pocket.

Tags
brass , cleaning brass cases , tumbling , ultrasonic