The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2013, 12:47 AM   #1
kealil

Restoring an old/abused press

Hello all!

I recently found a possibly old but definitively abused Lee Deluxe Turret at a garage sale recently, picked it up for five bucks. I just thought it would be fun to see if I could make it usable or at least functioning.

I started working on the coating of rust covering pretty much every surface and cranny on this press. I took care of most of that just so I would be destroying my hands or gloves while handling this thing.

The main problem that I can see on this press is that the ram is stuck and by stuck I mean that this seal(proper word?) couldn't have been stronger if it had been welded on. I'm still struggling with the stuck ram. I have even resorted to heating the ram up and smacking it with a rubber mallet. No dice

I need some advice. How can I get this thing unstuck? I assume its rusted stuck but I'm not sure the best method to free this thing up. I have the entire press soaking in CLR as I type but I'm not convinced that that will work.

Any hints? Sorry for the long winded approach but I'm tired and can't decide when to stop typing.....except now.

Thanks for the help!

(my bad NOW I stop typing)
Old May 25, 2013, 06:23 AM   #2
dahermit

A 50-50 mixture of Acetone and Transmission Fluid is considered a very good if not the best penetrating "oil". Also, when you get the press ram free, if you want to de-rust the parts with minimum labor, you may want to look into electrolysis to remove rust...I have constructed a set-up to do it and it works very well. Do an INTERNET search on "electrolysis" and "rust removal", or look here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/
Old May 25, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wrap it well and throw it in your deep freezer for a couple of days.

Then remove it, hit it really well with penetrating oil, rewrap it, and stick it back in the freezer for another day or so.

I've freed up many stuck bolts and screws that way.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4
hooligan1

If you can find it P.E.N, penetrating spray is the fastest, bestest, penetrant. I have used many products, this one turns rust into graphite dude!!
Old May 25, 2013, 10:01 AM   #5
rlc323

Go to Brownells and buy some Kroil. It penetrates to .001. Soak it a couple days and heat it with a heat gun, it should break loose.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
lamarw

If you decide to give up, something major breaks and/or it still does not work then you can send it back to Lee and receive a new or reconditioned one for 1/2 price. Go to their web site: http://leeprecision.com/satisfaction-guaranteed.html
Old May 27, 2013, 10:18 PM   #7
kealil

Quote:
Mike Irwin
Wrap it well and throw it in your deep freezer for a couple of days.

Then remove it, hit it really well with penetrating oil, rewrap it, and stick it back in the freezer for another day or so.

I've freed up many stuck bolts and screws that way.
THIS worked like a charm!I didn't even have to apply the oil. Just left it in the freezer, hit it once with a rubber mallet on the way out and it pretty much fell free at that point. still fun getting it completely out for polishing but this made things so much easier. THANK YOU!

I have already gotten to testing it. Sized some cast bullets and threw together some 45ACP rounds.

Seems to run like a champ. Probably the best $5 I've spent in a while
Old May 27, 2013, 11:59 PM   #8
Jbotto

Some people have all the luck... Congrats on the investment kealil!
Old May 28, 2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Glad that it worked!

I've always preferred cold for really rusted in parts, because rusting makes things swell, and the cold makes the parts contract away from each other.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.