The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2013, 05:42 AM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Herters brass discovery.

You know how it goes fellows you dig thru your stash of "This and That stuff" looking for something. And end up having something else catch you eye. Well that's exactly what happen here yesterday. I found some 300 Savage brass. Nice new brass I didn't know I had squirreled away. Headstamp said Herters about 100 ct. But it's the most unusual brass I ever encountered. It kind of reminds me of copper or red brass maybe.

1. Anyone here know why Herters brass was intentionally made different than everyone else's brass seen in the market place?

2. I'm sure Herters never made their own brass. Do you know who made it for them?

3. Just how good was Herters brass for reloading? (any problems or draw backs in its use)

Thanks guys for your input.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:47 AM   #2
TATER

SureShot,
How old do you think this stash could be?
Old May 24, 2013, 10:00 AM   #3
tahunua001

as far as I knew herters was all steel cased, it's another of those ulanovsk name brands so everything I've seen's been about the same quality as wolf, tula, and bear.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:16 AM   #4
TATER

tahunua001,
Herters is a Very old name and was quality Stuff..some of their brass and bullet was produced by Norma back in the day….
I am not sure when they went under But, I have not seen any that was newer than the 70's??? This new stuff is all over the place (manufacturing)
From CCI to Tula and wolf I think.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
F. Guffey

I have a lot of Herters equipment and some components, there was never anything suspect about Herters, I have various cases that I have accumulated over the years that have an off brass color, I have cleaned cases that had a petena that required cleaning, I choose vinegar for reducing tumbling by as much as 3 days, cleaning in vinegar can change the color if the case is left in the vinegar too long. The off color brass does not have the pink.orange color of having been cleaned in vinegar.

I have enough cases with common head stamps to provide me with the luxury of collecting off, unusual or rare head stamps, the new/old stock Herters would fall into the category of safe to shoot and collectable, I would choose to shoot something else and save the Herters cases.

Other head stamps I have and do not shoot, Browning, S&W, BM and Peters.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; May 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: change leaning to cleaning
Old May 24, 2013, 11:29 AM   #6
chiefr

Concur with Tater.
Shades of 50s & 60s, Most of Herters brass was made by Norma.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Sureshot,

Any time you run into copper-colored brass, check to be sure a magnet will not attract it. If it does, it is a copper washed steel and is not reloadable without stressing your die and equipment. If it does not attract the the magnet the brass may have been exposed to something corrosive at some point and I would polish it and shoot it loaded light to begin with. AFAIK, anything maed by Norma should be brass colored, except you may have some redness at the shoulder and neck where the annealing stain was polished, in which case you can ignore it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 24, 2013, 12:31 PM   #8
WIL TERRY

ACTUALLY, most of it was NOT made by NORMA, it was made in Finland by SUENSHAMETALVERKEN[SP] and SAKO.
It was of superb quality and I used it in at least fifteen calibers including the pistol brass, a bunch of which is still in use by me as we speak in 32S&WLONG, 38SPL, 357MAG, 6MM REM, and 264WINMAG.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:06 PM   #9
TATER

Unclenick, Did anyone other than China do Copper-wash?

Will Terry, I knew It was top shelf, from Sweden to Finland..My Bad.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:58 PM   #10
tahunua001

my bulgarian 7.62x54R is copper washed.
Old May 24, 2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

TATER asked: How long ago did I stash this brass.
I remember buying them from a reloaders shop here in Hopkins MN. I as I recall at that time the owner was selling them off in bulk purchases. (What ever count you wanted.) Herters, Sporting Goods of Waseca MN was still in business I believe. What? Early 70s maybe Tater.___ For fun today I thru a couple cases in the shell cleaner earlier. Just took them out before sitting down here. Remarkable the color they have after a corn cob bath>They sure are pretty

Quote:
unusual or rare head stamps, the new/old stock Herters would fall into the category of safe to shoot and collectable, I would choose to shoot something else and save the Herters cases.
I think your right F. Guffey maybe its best to save them after all. Who knows. Perhaps their next owner can dig them out of his stash 40 years later and wonder about them as I did these last two days.

Thank you, WIL TERRY for clearing that little matter up of (Who actually made them.)

S/S
Old May 24, 2013, 09:59 PM   #12
math teacher

I have experienced Herters brass with undersized flash holes. The decapping pin would stick or bend when resizing. I ground down the end of a large nail to make a punch to deprime the cases then drilled out the flash hole to standard size. End of problem. The cases were brass and of otherwise excellent quality.
Old May 25, 2013, 01:53 AM   #13
steveno

I think people are confusing the Herter's brand ammo that is around these days with the Herter's brand name of many , many years ago. the old cases it would not be steel and for reloading it should be good to go. the only thing similar is the name.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

steveno: I've notice the same. The boxes sold today are a 100% example of Herters original logo seen 30 plus years ago before their closing. Good of you to chime in steveno about this Herters logo imposter.
Anyone know who it is?

Uncle Nick: I have a stick magnet I use out in the garage for lost nuts & bolts in under the hood situations. {strong magnetic tip on it.} Ran that magnet up against one of those shells I polish yesterday. No way did it stick to the Herters cartridge case. As far as annealing goes. That's a step I don't think has ever been preformed on this brass. (no color change is seen from its shoulder on up thru its neck)

S/S
Old May 25, 2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Paul B.

I have 5 full boxes of unfired Herter's 7x57 brass. The boxes are marked, "Made in Sweden". Norma? I dunno. I always at least run a a flash hole reamer in any new brass and the flash holes were much tighter than normal. The boxes sure are pretty. I have a decent amount of Winchester and Remington new brass so I won't be loading those Herter's shells anytime soon. At the time I got them, I asked that very same question about who knows who made that brass. The concensus of opinion was that even though it was made in Sweden, they weren't made by Norma.

Herters quit selling ammo, powder component and almost everything else related to shooting and firearms thnks to that 1968 gun control unconsitutional abortion they called a law.
Paul B.
Old May 25, 2013, 01:23 PM   #16
pic1083

The last catalog I had for Herters was 1979, I tried to order some stuff in
mid 1980 and got my order returned by the USPS.
Someone ended up with the Herters name and that is what you see
on the shelves today.
Not the same Company by far.
Old May 25, 2013, 01:41 PM   #17
steveno

I could be wrong but I was thinking that the Herter's brand is now owned by Cabela's. the last order I with the original Herter's was back in the middle 1960's before I went into the air force. I don't remember when they closed their doors. Herter's made some pretty outstanding claims about their stuff but it was usually pretty good at a decent price even back then. I sure wish I had kept their catalog as it was some pretty good reading and now if in pretty good condition is worth some money to collectors.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:36 AM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Paul B,

If you look at the Lapua design for 6 mm BR brass, they use a smaller 1.5 mm (0.059") flash hole than the usual 0.070"-0.090". This is for the same reason their Palma Match .308 brass uses small rifle primers. Restricting primer gas flow rate and flame throw reduces variation in powder ignition. This allows the shooter to better control the pressure profile by controlling powder charge. So widening narrow flash holes is not automatically a good idea. If you still have some of the tight hole cases, you might try working a comparison load up with them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 27, 2013, 10:38 AM   #19
snuffy

Well, here's another fly in the ointment. I bought some 8mm Mauser cases from Herters, the box they came in said made in MEXICO! They were crude to the extreme, but loaded okay and shot marginally. I still have a few of them, they failed early, seemed the annealing step was skipped. Cracked on the second loading.

Yes, Cabellas has the trademark name for herters ammo and other sporting related stuff.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 27, 2013, 07:00 PM   #20
arizona98tj

Quote:
Good of you to chime in steveno about this Herters logo imposter.
Yep, no one has ever sold a registered trademark to another company.