The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2013, 04:33 AM   #1
oldandslow

Thumblers tumbler RPM-OEM vs. Vacuum belt

Greetings, 2/23/13

I've got several thousand cases through my Thumbler's high speed tumbler with SS pins over the past year and noticed a difference between the RPM's with the stock, clear drive belt and a tighter, round rubber vacuum belt (Eureka,RD style, series 600).

I mark the drum and then time the turns for a full minute. The stock belt gives 42 rpm (repeated twice). The tighter vacuum belt gives 52 RPM's (repeated twice). This is with the same drum with a measured weight of 15 pounds. This means there has got to be some slippage with the stock belt even though it looks fine. Has anyone else looked at the speed of their stock drive belts? This means that I'm getting 25% faster RPM's and hopefully faster cleaning with the vacuum belt.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 23, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2
FlyFish

That's interesting. I went to a vibratory tumbler years ago and don't use my Thumbler's much any more, but when it was in regular use (before anyone even made the other kind), I would get bits of rubber dropping onto the frame under the belt. I never knew why and never had to replace the belt, but I'm guessing it was due to the slippage you describe.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
paulo57509

There is definitely some slippage going on with the OEM belt, but I think that is by design. You don't want the belt so tight because it may start wearing on the motor bushings and the nylon tumbler shaft bushings.
Old February 24, 2013, 06:02 PM   #4
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Has anyone else looked at the speed of their stock drive belts?
I just replaced my belt with a OEM. I get close to 60 rpm's. There shouldn't be any slippage between the belt and pulleys. Even oil from your fingers can make the belt slip. Try cleaning the belt in dishwashing liquid and degrease the pulleys with alcohol.

Using a vacuum cleaner belt could cause unexpected wear on the motor.