The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 08:39 PM   #1426
oldgunsmith

Hi everybody. So good to be here! I'm Jim Lee. Been shooting a little over 50 years. I was a gunsmith with the old Mashburn Arms Co. in Oklahoma City 10 years and Southwest Shooter Supply 4 years. Haven't been a practicing gunsmith since the early 90's, but have been teaching it at the Canadian Valley Technology Center in El Reno, OK for 25 years. Favorite handgun is the old mod. Ruger single action. Have 9 and am always in the market to buy or trade for more any time the deal is right. Worked my way through college as a "gunfighter" at Frontier City, USA in OKC. Have an M1, an M1A, and a Mini-14 marked OHP on the receiver, but will always prefer old classics be they, Colt, Winchester, Mauser, Springfield, or antiquish stuff like that. Great forum.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:15 AM   #1427
dbldune

Summit , NJ

Been on the forum for a while but haven't introduced myself. Live in Summit, NJ and semi retired. Means I will be going back to work one day.

Enjoy shooting and purchased my first pistol 4 months ago. I have introduced my (adult) son and his older cousin to shooting.

Anyone in the area, drop me a note and perhaps we can shoot together.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1428
Nitro96

hi from southern USA

hi all, been lurking around for a few weeks and decided to join in, hope I can be of some positive presence
Old February 3, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1429
300blkoutnewbie

Just jopined this morning and wanted to say hey!
Old February 3, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1430
jspappap

Hi I'm a newbie

Hello.
I didn't see this page when I first joined at the beginning of January. I'm a 70 year old newbie. Retired machinist and thought fishing was "IT". A friend gave me a 50 cal Hawken kit rifle as a retirement present, along with a few high quality air guns ( for plinking ) He's a gunsmith. Never owned or shot anything other than a bow and arow as a kid. Started the Kit and fell in love with the rifle. Went target shooting with the air guns and fell in love with the shooting sport. Finally shot the Hawken and "WOWEE" true love at first shot. The feel n the smell was unbelievable. It's an inexpensive kit gun I but I'm gonna inlet a brass patch box in it. I'm currently also trying to teach myself to carve so I can put something personal on the gunstock . Thats a long process for a shaky near sighted old man and I can tell I'll never be really good at it but it's my rifle and it only has to please me. The forum and the posters are great. The information is invaluable. I read it several times a day and it's something I look forward too. My granddaughter (12) fell in love with the air gun shooting and went ballistic when she saw me shot the 50 cal. I loaded her up a light round and after she shot it, she couldn't stop smiling for a week. Her name is Jaeda hence my login name jspappap.

Safe shooting to you all
jspappap
Old February 3, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1431
draidt

Hi

Long time Gun owner here, New NRA member. For the obvious reasons I have a renewed interest in Firearms and the acquisition of what interests me. Interest picked up with the anticipated full service Gun Range opening up a few miles from me.
Guns I own

10 guage double barrel hammer shotgun, Belonged to my great Grandfather, I can trace it back to the 1880's It is a mantle piece only heirloom.
A bought new in 1961 Remington .22 Bolt action Nylon 12 in pristine condition
A Mossberg bolt action 3 shot .410 Shotgun handed down from my Grandfather currently getting a cosmetic reconditioning.Put a few squirrels on the table with it when I was a teenager.
A Taurus Model 66 6 inch barrel nickel plated .357 magnum purchased new.
A newly acquired Glock 23 .40 caliber.
A newly purchased Ruger 10 22 that is in the mail to my FFL dealer.
A ordered Henry Big Boy Lever action .357 magnum That I have long admired and finally pulled the trigger so to speak.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:47 AM   #1432
Redfish441

Hi new member from Texas will be asking alot of questions, i have an old L.C. Smith shotgun, looking for parts. Thanks.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1433
SabrtoothBanana

Hey everyone

Hey everyone. I'm new to this site surprisingly. I've been an avid gun enthusiast for about 12 years now and have never signed up for this forum. I live in Southern California for the time being. I grew up here but have been in the Air Force (now Reserve) for 12 years now.

I normally shoot my Rifles and shotguns. I used to have a few handguns, and am now getting back into them. I started reloading in December once ammo became scarce out here and that's been fun.

I hope to learn a lot from all the members here.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1434
number 9

new from far east mississippi

New to the forums. Shoot and load for mostly black guns. I shot when I was a kid, rabbits and squirells mostly, trapped some beaver coon, possom, and anything else that had too much curiosity. Shot extensively during service deployments, and havn't found reason to stop yet.

I enyoy the knowledge and hope to benefit from rocks I have yet turn over,
Old February 9, 2013, 01:28 AM   #1435
SHE3PDOG

Hey

Hello,

I am a relatively new shooter. I joined the Marine Corps right out of high school and learned how to shoot a rifle while in the Corps. I just recently got into shooting handguns, and I joined the NRA last year. I'm young, so I have a lot to learn in the ways of shooting, but I enjoy it a lot.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 10, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1436
jeffreyulatan

Have a small shop out here in the pacific.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1437
willieboy71

Hello from a newbie..

Howdy from West Texas..been hunting and shooting all my life..just getting back into reloading...been lurking for a while and decided to join..looking forward to learning from you guys!!!
Old February 13, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1438
shawn32671

New guy from Iowa

Hi all, I thought id say hello and give a quick intro...interested in learning about building kit form and/or guns/rifles from parts kits and hope to help in return...current guns: WW2 issue Springfield arms M1 Garand in shooter condition, 2-SKS Ugo rifles, Beretta 9 mil, several Black Powder replica revolvers and .50 cal Traditions rifle assembled from a kit. Next project, .45/.410 Lienad derringer kit from Excalibur and side plates and breech face from Jack Squats. Future hopeful project, AK-47 from parts kit.
Shawn
Old February 13, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1439
wgalle

New gun owner from Northern VA

Hello all -

My wife and I live in the Northern VA suburbs - she, a retired USMC gunny, me- a corporate worker bee for the last 25+ years. As a Marine, she is pretty well versed and qualified on a variety of weapons, but never had one at home. I grew up in the South, and my exposure was limited to my grandmother's .22 rifle and double barrelled shotguns. Other than a few trips to the range when I was young (and an NRA safety class), that was the extend of my experience; I haven't owned a gun, ever. Until last weekend, that is - now that my wife and I are empty nesters, we decided to go ahead and look into getting handguns for home protection and/or enjoyment (casual shooters). We each did research, emphasis on reliability, accuracy, and comfort in the weapons, safety and security training for ourselves, as well as a safe and secure place to keep the weapons at home. This is the beginning of a journey together as responsible gun owners. Went to the Nations Gun Show in Chantilly last weekend (a packed event, no pun intended) - put our hands on many different guns, some we had researched - others we saw for the first time. She was pretty well fixed on getting an H&K compact (her hands are small) - and she wound up getting the H&K USP Compact 9mm. Quality, reliablity, good reputation. She said if she was going to invest, it would be in something made to last.

I was leaning toward a Walther, but at the show, I kept going back to a Tanfoglio TZ75 that was sitting on a table by itself - beautiful styling, nice weight, comfortable in the hand, but I knew nothing about them (I have learned plenty since). Moving along, my son-in-law, a happy Glock owner, was trying to steer me in that direction, but for reasons of personal taste, I just did not want a Glock. Period. Then, I spotted a brand spanking new IWI Baby Desert Eagle II. Solid build. Sleek. Like butter in the hand. Research came back extremely positive. It was like the Tanfoglio (in more ways than one, obviously)...but even better. I was sold. Picked up the BE9915R full sized 9mm in black steel. So now we are gun owners - signed up for Basic Pistol (it will be a refresher for her) to be followed by Home Defense course. Although I can't wait to get the the range to try these out, we are going to do it right - I have read the manuals front to back, practiced safety check procedures, dis-assembly and re-assembly, so that by class time and range time I will be as comfortable with my new responsibility as I can.

If you read all of this, thanks for your patience. This is a big step for us, and I look forward to learning and living. Peace through strength. Thanks, all.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1440
vector91

New guy from Rhode Island

Hey TFL I'm Rob I grew up in Massachusetts and currently live in Rhode Island. I grew up in a house opposed to guns so only in the last three years have I really gotten to explore this passion. I have learned alot in these years but I know I still have alot to learn. I am a member of the NRA and an avid gun/bow hunter and shooter. I am currently trying to become a police officer as well as expand on my gun collection. Nice to meet you all.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 06:48 PM   #1441
KZF

Hi everybody

I'm Dr...well I'm not Dr. Nick. More like a guy in upstate NY who doesn't own a single firearm. I'm thinking about purchasing a handgun, but the array of brands, prices, styles, etc. has me baffled. I'm kind of indecisive and tend to waffle in general, so the high variety makes that even worse. Figured I would throw this out there to see if I might snare some first time buyer tips.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1442
Ralest42

Hello from Ohio

I'm 39 year old male from Ohio. I have 2 passions, one of which is my firearms. I enjoy everything from Hunting to target shooting to competition shooting. (Exception being firing in prone position, whatever reason it's m weakness)

My second passion is programming, while I'm new to this forum and not entirely certain as to what's permitted and not, I will not post any links including in my signature block, (Unless told it's authorized) But, I've also created a website that is a "social network" style like facebook for firearms owners.

Enough of my ramblings...
Old February 15, 2013, 11:42 PM   #1443
hesitantly

Texan

I'm a retired, old guy in central Texas. Recently purchased a new Sig P938 Equinox to replace my old P32 CCW. (Bad timing, since 9mm is scarce.) I also have a couple of .45 pistols. I've been in several other gun related fora, lately, but this one seems to have a lot of very knowledgeable folks on it, so I'm here to learn.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:15 AM   #1444
JMILLER

Hello from south miss. I'm james.
I've been reloading just under a
year. Still have a whole lot to learn.
Hope to pick up a lot of knowledge
here. I'm loading 9mm,38 spcl &
in the future 30 cal m1 carbine.
Glad to be here.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:34 AM   #1445
Joeybar

Just saying hello

I'm twice retired from law enforcement and work part time for a bail bonding company at the present time. I have a pretty nice assortment of handguns and rifles, not looking to add anything else unless it's a great deal (which isn't going to happen right now). I am focused on home and personal defense, I do a little varmit hunting and have a 25 yard shooting range on my property.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:50 PM   #1446
pilot141

Hello everyone! First of all, for the new (or hoping to be new gun owners), search the semiauto or revolver forums - lots of good info there and very similar questions to what you might have are probably already answered in great detail by the sharp members on this site!

As for me, I've owned guns for years but have recently (bad timing on my part) gotten back into shooting regularly. I'm a former Air Force pilot (hence the user name), still flying for a living and thankfully living in the great state of Texas.

I am a big Sig Sauer fan. The first gun I bought was a Sig P220 in 45ACP. I got it back in 1995 so it's one of those Sig's manufactured in West Germany. That thing has sat in the box for years at times (notably when I was stationed in New Jersey) but has never once had a malfunction. When I started buying guns again I went back to Sig. I now have a P226 .40S&W and a P229 .22LR. Today I also grabbed a Sig Mosquito in 22LR. Gotta love plinkin'.

In a fit of insanity I also bought a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in .40S&W. Holy recoil Batman!

Looking forward to sharing knowledge and good times with the people on this forum!
Old February 18, 2013, 06:55 AM   #1447
ItalianNRAmember

Hullo to Everyone:)

Good morning Folks!
I am very happy to visit this forum finding it very interesting and useful. I am not American but I love the good American people and your never ending Country.
As usual for us Italians this has been a fantastic and unexpected discovery I made last summer: holy smoke, after that I am no more as I was before.
One of things I appreciate a lot of USA is the Second Amendment. We in Italy (and for to most this problem involves all Old Europe) are not so lucky, not having at all such a constitutional bastion, so important & meaningful. We are prey of the robbers and violent people: they have the best weapons instead we good guys have generally bare hands. Yes, we are truely in a miserable situation; above all for many women (and their families) this has meant and means a nightmare impossible to forget.
Last summer I could not imagine such an attack against the Bill of Rights (because, sadly, this is the situation now), therefore even as a foreigner I joined -National Rifle Association of America-. I like this membership card: it has the Incipit from –The Declaration of Independence-.
Bros, for the moment it’s all, best regards from Italy.
-Hold the Fort!-
Stefano
Old February 19, 2013, 03:21 AM   #1448
SimbaLion

Hi there, I'm new here. I was born and raised in the Metro-Detroit region. I moved to Chicago in 2006, which is where I reside today. I have always been fascinated with guns, and as of 2012 I became a gun owner, having fired my first pistol in June of 2012. I am currently involved in the fight to restore 2nd amendment rights to Illinois.

I invite anyone to contact me privately to chat about whatever. I hope to be a part of this community for a long time!
Old February 22, 2013, 04:16 PM   #1449
jemac

jemac

Hello tfl members:
I'm new member and new at reloading and have many questions.
thanks for any help
Old February 23, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1450
Seamaster

Newbie to The Firing Line, long time firearm enthusiast and gun nut. Been reloading shotshells for about 6 years and recently begun reloading metallic cartridges. Hope to learn from those in the reloading forum and contribute as I can. Also enjoy the The Law and Civil Rights Forum, an educated and informed firearm enthusiast is a liberals worst nightmare.

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent