The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 20, 2001, 11:08 AM   #1
gringo5

Need some with an ID on my father-in-law's S&W.It's a 38 S&W Special CTG. The serial # is 998954 on the butt and on the bottom of the barrel.On the cylinder assembly is #87994. the left side wooden grip has 2 sets of #'s 995 and 445 on the inside.The gun was past on from his father to him in the early 60's. In the early 70,s he flared the barrel with a bad hand load. It's been in a bag until last fall.For x-mas i took it to a gunsmith and had it checked and reblued, the barrel shortened from 6" to 4" and put a front site on. I am interested in it's history.. Thank you for any info...
Old March 20, 2001, 11:10 AM   #2
gringo5

The revolver is a 5 screw
Old March 20, 2001, 02:09 PM   #3
Hutch

If there's no alpha prefix to the serial number, it's a pre-WWII model M&P (predecessor to the M10)
Old March 20, 2001, 09:51 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Gringo,

Your gun is most likely one of the many hundreds of thousands made during WW II. In your case, probably sometime in 1944.

These were standard Military & Police Hand Ejectors, which would in the 1950s be renamed the Model 10.

It is very likely that more Model 10s and their M&P HE predecessors have been made than any other single model of handgun.

Add in all of the copies, clones, derivitives, etc., and you might very well have the most numerous firearm style every made.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 21, 2001, 08:07 AM   #5
gringo5

Gentelmen, Thanks for the info...