The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2011, 11:05 AM   #1
SDShooter79

Fake Rattlin Antlers!

Anyone use these? I was in Cabelas the other day, and saw a pair. do they work well?
B
Old October 28, 2011, 01:32 PM   #2
jhnrckr

depends on where you live in the country and where you are in the rut cycle. "horn rattlin" works way better in South Texas than it does in Southern IL from my experience. I have very knowledgeable hunting buddies in WI and they have had claim no success rattling after years of hunting. I have used the knight and hale pack rack and I have used electronic rattling sequences, they all seem to work the same. You can rattle plastic or bone all you want pre-rut and post rut and you arent going to get any reaction.
Old October 28, 2011, 01:52 PM   #3
2003flht

i used the bag type before... rattlebags, as i believe they were called. had about six plastic rods in a nylon bag. you would roll them inbetween the palm of your hands. they sounded good, but i never had any luck with them... or real antlers as a matter of fact. of course, the one time i dropped my treestand from a tree (made a freaking racket!) i had a six pointer come running in to see what was going on... go figure!

i always had better luck with grunt tubes......
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...Wow! What a ride!"

Give a Liberal a fish, he'll ask for seconds. Teach a Liberal to fish, he'll sign up for unemployment...
Old October 28, 2011, 02:38 PM   #4
spclPatrolGroup

Yes those work, they sound close enough to real antlers that bucks will come to check out who is fight'n, I like the bags, you can make your own,

step 1, drink a bottle of crown
step 2, take some 1-2" wooden dowls and cut them to fit in the bag your bottle of crown came in
step 3, use a band saw* or something to flatten one side of the dowels, put them in the bag and presto, you have a rattling bag, use a rubber band to silence it

*wait until you sober up for this part
Old October 28, 2011, 03:33 PM   #5
warbirdlover

This works great (called in a deer last year) and is easy to carry. The TV hunters carrying actual horns is a bunch of BS.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104212980
Old October 31, 2011, 10:16 PM   #6
presence

how can anyone really be sure if something doesn't work? if no deer come, maybe you were using it while there wasn't anything around.

if it didn't already work many times for a study group, there wouldn't be a market for it. same goes for fishing lures.
Old October 31, 2011, 11:20 PM   #7
nathaniel

They work fine but the bag types are easier to carry around.

90% of the time people that say rattle doesnt work dont know how to use them. Just like duck calls or coyote calls, if you cant use them properly the animals wont come in.
Old November 6, 2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Mobuck

My older son had a set of the antler shaped synthetic rattling things that shattered one really cold day. Sent them back and got a new set. Yes, they work but under the right conditions, so will rubbing/beating a couple of sticks together. Apparently, so does letting a 5 year old play with them in the deer blind since that happened last year.